Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2019, 11:19   #46

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: why do you accept those prices ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
True. But Hog Town is worse for everything .
Now, place nice!
Old 19-04-2019, 11:34   #47

Better yet; why buy anything from boat boys? I was approached once with lobster, they wanted $50 for a lobster, this was in 1999!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 11:41   #48

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
United Million Miles Member. Funny, I feel neither excessively fortunate for it, nor wealthy.

Just because you don’t feel rich doesn’t mean you aren’t as compared to the vast majority of the others on the planet.
Old 19-04-2019, 11:42   #49

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
You can buy it your self at the local markets, At the locals prices,

Dont ever buy any thing where the tourists gather to buy things, very expensive,

Walk down the road half a mile where the tourists dont go, Local prices,
Not sure about you, but I wouldn’t consider walking anywhere in St. Vincent. There are too many folks looking to take advantage of / rob cruisers. Safety and security of my crew is my primary importance so we avoid trouble and high crime areas. There are lots of other islands to go to that are much safer and where you won’t be “ripped off” by boat boys. Keep in mind when they offer to sell you stuff at an inflated price that you are in charge, just say no thanks. If they are hungry, they will come back asking a more reasonable price.
New Orleans, LA
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 13:41   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It’s been several years ago, but I went to St. Vincent to repair their crop duster, stayed a few days.
I never plan to return
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 16:27   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
I don't suppose the OP would appreciate it if someone else thought that he was paid too much for what he did. Capitalism works in funny ways.

---

A mathematician is having problems with a leaky sink, so he calls a plumber.
The plumber comes over and quickly fixes the sink. The professor is happy until he gets the bill. He tells the plumber, "This is outrageous! You charge more for an hour than I make in a whole day!"
The plumber tells him, "You know, we are always looking for more plumbers. You could become a plumber and triple your salary. Just make sure you say you only made it to 6th grade, they don't like educated people."
The professor takes him up on the offer and becomes a plumber. His salary triples and he doesn't have to work nearly as hard. But after a few years, a law gets passed that all licensed plumbers must have at least an 8th grade education...Not wanting to admit he lied on his application, he signs up for night classes.
On the first day of night school they all attend math class. The teacher wants to gauge the class so he asks the former mathematician, "What is the formula for the area of a circle?"
He walks up to the board and realizes he has forgotten the formula. So he begins to attempt to derive the formula, filling the board with complicated mathematics. He ends up figuring out it is negative pi times radius squared, but he knows that's incorrect, so he starts over, but again he comes up with the same equation.
After staring at the board for a minute he hears one of the plumbers in the class behind him whisper, "Switch the limits on the integral, dummy!"

Probably the worst joke I have heard this year, but hey, its only April!!
geoffrey cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 16:43   #52

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
United Million Miles Member. Funny, I feel neither excessively fortunate for it, nor wealthy.
At $0.10-.20/mile (carefully calibrated to domestic flight experiences in the US) that means you have spent $100,000 to $200,000 on flights since you joined United's FFP.
That's all disposable income, assuming you don't fly for business reasons.
For most of the developing world, you are insanely rich.

For developed countries, you certainly seem at least comfortable.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 20:14   #53

Boat: Still building

Yeah, it's all relative....

Back in 1980, as a first year apprentice carpenter, I won a trip to Bali for two weeks.

Back then, the bitumen in Kuta stopped at Legian.

A bit further west, down a bumpy dirt track, was a really nice, but a bit posh restaurant where I went after it was recommended by another tourist.

Quiet night, so talked to the waiter - as you do - and worked out his monthly salary was less than my weekly wage - but he could keep a wife and two kids on that.

I was living at home, couldn't afford a car and my wage was AU$95/wk.

He reckoned I was rich. I thought he was better off.

He told me his kids school was short of everything because the govt wouldn't provide it, so I bought a pile of exercise books and pencils. He thought that was the best gift ever.

Cost me a fiver.....

It's all relative.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 01:12   #54
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Bring any sports tshirts with you everywhere great barter and for tipping. doesn't matter if the name is spelled wrong, if the shirt is from a super bowl with the wrong team shown as the winner. The brighter the colors the better. If you think like who are in a foreign country you will lose every time. Thinks like the locals and what you see or hear them talk about, ask for etc...they all love sports tshirts and cigarettes.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price