Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 14:36   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Why Do We Make It So Hard Sounding

Why do we make sailing/cruising/boating sound soooooo hard?

I know that when I decided to sail/cruise the ASA Fundentials made it seem so hard. My wife would read 'how to tack' and go "How are are the two of us going to do that. Based on the book it seems to need 5 people?" Turns out sailing is easy and truly was the easiest thing to learn about living/cruising on a sailboat.

Then there are batteries. Forums make understanding your system seem like it requires a pHd in physics, electrical, and magic. But batteries are easy and have run into LOTS of boaters who l know nothing more than whether the warning light was on and their batteries pretty last as long as everyone else.

There there are anchor threads!!!! Why does every anchor thread read as though everyone but that poster does it all wrong? Anchors have been around pretty much as long as boats and started as a rope of hemp tied to a rock! How hard can that be???

Nav rules why does a 1 paragraph rule with 2-3 sentences require an explanation of 6 pages. And as the "discussion" progresses pretty much proves no one understands the rule (at least it seems that way) and yet boats aren't bumper car bouncing off each other so how hard is it compared to driving you car on the highway surrounded by the other idiots?

Sailing/boating/cruising is easy! Stop making it seem hard so you seem "special". And lets let idiots weed themselves out some. Their issues are not because it is hard, it is because they are ............... idiots!
Old 05-01-2021, 14:51   #2

Boat: Sabre 34II
Re: Why Do We Make It So Hard Sounding

The more I learn the easier everything appears, it’s not knowing what I don’t know makes it so hard, you can call it the fear of unknown.

Btw, nice topic for a thread.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 15:02   #3

Maybe because there would be no need for Cruiser's Forum if we didn't make it complicated?
I read a couple books, bought a boat and went cruising. But of course any time you do something like that, be prepared to learn with more risk.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 15:19   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, but, where is it written that risk is all bad??? Maybe being excited is good for us!

One rat study I know about showed that the stressed rats healed faster than the ones who were not stressed . (It was kind of gross: the "stress" was wounding them.)

Risk is there, but there is a forum tendency to borrow a surfeit of trouble. Most "bad things" don't happen to everyone. Keeping things on the simple side helps.

Ann
Old 05-01-2021, 15:20   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Because it actually is hard.

There are a lot of people who try to make it easier than it actually is. They don't learn to reef so they don't go out when they might need to. They don't learn about prop walk so they just get people on shore with lines and have them pull. They don't learn the colregs so they follow the law of tonnage. They don't learn to tack, at least not comfortably, so they motor upwind. They don't learn pilotage or dead reckoning, so they just follow their GPS. They don't learn to anchor, so they stay in marinas.

Works for them, though I think most of them would be happier with a pontoon boat.

My goals are different.
Old 05-01-2021, 15:21   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

PErhaps it is related to the difference between "doing something" and doing it well.

And IMO, in sailing or in cruising, there is a noticeable difference in the proficiency demonstrated by various sailors and cruisers.

Jim
Old 05-01-2021, 15:55   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don't think it's that hard. Heck, I chose this lifestyle because it is easier than a lot of other options, such as sticking with a 9to5 landlubber job and living in on land. Now THAT is hard.

That said, there are things to learn and skills to develop. This is no different than any other lifestyle. Whether you think it is hard, is really a personal perspective.

And there are very real differences in how one cruises. Someone who marina hops or spends most of their time in easy, tame waters, will face fewer challenges than those who venture further off the beaten path. So it is easier for some, harder for others.

So, as with most questions in cruising, the real answer is: It Depends.
Old 05-01-2021, 16:11   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I agree with Jim (really ... ha ha)

It’s an art that cannot be perfected in a lifetime.

Yes, you can go learn to ski over a weekend. And there you have it. That was easy! I can pizza and French fries my way all the way down the hill! I learned!

But how about going down the mogul field? A little back country cliff jumping? Take a pair of telemark skiis down the hill. Do some ski flying or hone your art in the half pipe.

You can learn something very easily, but mastering it takes decades. Or in the case of sailing, more than a lifetime.

To me, that’s part of the enjoyment. I’m always trying to sail better. It’s just enough of a distraction to take your mind off stressful things while not being too stressful in itself.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 16:12   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Why do we make sailing/cruising/boating sound soooooo hard?

I know that when I decided to sail/cruise the ASA Fundentials made it seem so hard. My wife would read 'how to tack' and go "How are are the two of us going to do that. Based on the book it seems to need 5 people?" Turns out sailing is easy and truly was the easiest thing to learn about living/cruising on a sailboat.

Then there are batteries. Forums make understanding your system seem like it requires a pHd in physics, electrical, and magic. But batteries are easy and have run into LOTS of boaters who l know nothing more than whether the warning light was on and their batteries pretty last as long as everyone else.

There there are anchor threads!!!! Why does every anchor thread read as though everyone but that poster does it all wrong? Anchors have been around pretty much as long as boats and started as a rope of hemp tied to a rock! How hard can that be???

Nav rules why does a 1 paragraph rule with 2-3 sentences require an explanation of 6 pages. And as the "discussion" progresses pretty much proves no one understands the rule (at least it seems that way) and yet boats aren't bumper car bouncing off each other so how hard is it compared to driving you car on the highway surrounded by the other idiots?

Sailing/boating/cruising is easy! Stop making it seem hard so you seem "special". And lets let idiots weed themselves out some. Their issues are not because it is hard, it is because they are ............... idiots!

Have to wholeheartedly agree.
Seems some can't cope without a plethora of rules and courses.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 16:17   #10

I think it can be very complicated if you have a larger more modern boat but then there are people cruising dinghies with virtually nothing fancy.

From personal experience, I'd say the more you know, the better off you'll be. Getting it wrong with regard to engine or electrical systems can cost tens of thousands of dollars even on a small boat. Being an engineer certainly wouldn't hurt ��✌��
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 16:32   #11

Boat: Hunter 386

I suggest that it has a lot to do with rapid advances in technologies and equipment as opposed to the slow change in accepted practices and the prevalence of "oldsters."

I saw the same thing in rock climbing. When we started it was full of mythologies that implied you needed to be hard core and hike in miles to climb "real rock." But with the advent of new ropes, sticky rubber and a whole lot of bolting close to the roads, sport climbing was as accessible to the average family of 5 as a trip to the amusement park. Just learn the basic of safety, don't get too full of yourself and you were set.

And didn't that opinion meet with a whole lot of doomsaying and predictions of death and dismemberment.

Personally my introduction to cruising has been similar: Learn the basics of safety and don't get too full of yourself and a lot of areas are open to some easy cruising. If you never want to go farther, well then I guess that is your choice. Sailing is easy. It always kills me when people suggest you learn to sail on a dingy. What I learned about sailing a laser has pretty much zero to do with any sailing I have done on my 38-footer.

Of course this all comes down to your definition of sailing... or climbing. I will never be a "real" one at either.
Old 05-01-2021, 16:35   #12

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Anything you enjoy doesnt seem too hard. Hard is the word people use when they want to quit.
I enjoy sailing and cruising, so it isnt hard.
I met a brain surgeon once. I commented on how hard his job must be. He replied that it wasn't hard, it was challenging and technical, but not hard. He loved the challenge.
But I look at brain surgery, and it looks HARD!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 16:39   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41

I read the thread title and thought it was going to about how hard it is too get accurate "soundings".... [emoji848]
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 16:50   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

no easy answer here.....I learned that there are no " ropes" on a boat....a " rope" is a "rope' in a store, but when it comes aboard it adopts a name..the first time I ever stepped on a sailboat I was asked to grab that "sheet"....but I saw no linen in sight..how a "rope" came to be called a " sheet" was beyond my ability to understand at the time.....the same line that a "sheet" is made from can also be a "halyard"....now we have two weird names for the same " rope"..etc, ad infinitum....the worst was having to use the " head" when wanting to use the bathroom....sailing is a strange sport for sure.....it has a vocabulary all of its own....it can be very confusing for someone not acquainted with boating...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 17:06   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Sure, the individual parts might be easy, but the volume can be overwhelming to newer cruisers. You are maintaining a boat that has all the systems required for a small city: sewar system, water system, electrical generation system, HVAC system.
Two propulsion systems: sail and diesel
Weather: infinite daily choice, cyclone season,...
Navigation: infinite number of crossing situations with those following the rules and those that aren't.
Officialdom: helpful and logical to unreasonable and indecipherable
Health care: in some years you might even have to deal with a pandemic.

So the snall parts maybe be relatively simple, the conglomerate is really very complex.