Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 12:23   #31

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Why do they sell Towing Coverage?

Scoobert - this is why you can just decide to go inside at anytime. Think this guy needs more than towing coverage.

Another boat misses the approach to Barnegat Inlet...
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 12:47   #32

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Why do they sell Towing Coverage?

Maybe because so many boaters believe that "they" won't need it?

Our Sea Tow insurance covers us worldwide. Example: With our motor dead we wanted a tow into harbour at Mazatlan, Mexico. Very narrow and long channel into the dredged area where the marinas are located. Made arrangements with shore folk who towed us to the docks. Afterwards, we rang up Sea Tow and made verbal claim. Mailed in a statement and copy of the bill. Got a reimbursement cheque through the post soon afterwards.

(For simplicity and security, we had the cheque mailed to a relative in the States. She's quite adapt at forging my signature.... )

Anyway.... I suppose that buying insurance is a strange thing: We bet we'll get into troubles and the insurance company bets we won't.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 13:16   #33

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Wow....just read the news and Facebook page .....seems the guy just bought the boat....anchored out.....broke free and crashed on the rocks. No insurance and the bill to remove it is more than he paid for the boat! Not very good news at all.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 13:48   #34

Boat: Ohlson 38

My very first hour on my boat (or any boat for that matter) I motored down the okeechobee waterway and decided to practice anchoring. I didn't know about floating dinghy painters, so fouled my prop when backing down. Water was black as coal, alligators on shore. I'm from Wash DC where we have snakes and barracudas (lawyers and politicians) but no alligators and I was not going in that water to be eaten alive. Called Boat US and was told that the nearest franchise was in ft Myers and it would be a couple of thousand dollars to get a tow boat to me and extra if I wanted someone to unfoul the prop.
It took me two days of diving in 30 second bursts once every couple of hours to cut the line off off the prop. People tell me I was silly for being afraid, but dang...what if things hadn't gone so well!? Anyway, I sooo wished for a tow boat that day.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 13:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
My very first hour on my boat (or any boat for that matter) I motored down the okeechobee waterway and decided to practice anchoring. I didn't know about floating dinghy painters, so fouled my prop when backing down. Water was black as coal, alligators on shore. I'm from Wash DC where we have snakes and barracudas (lawyers and politicians) but no alligators and I was not going in that water to be eaten alive. Called Boat US and was told that the nearest franchise was in ft Myers and it would be a couple of thousand dollars to get a tow boat to me and extra if I wanted someone to unfoul the prop.
It took me two days of diving in 30 second bursts once every couple of hours to cut the line off off the prop. People tell me I was silly for being afraid, but dang...what if things hadn't gone so well!? Anyway, I sooo wished for a tow boat that day.
Well for swimming with creatures that produce 3,700 psi when biting you did ok
de0xyrib0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 14:44   #36

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

There are lot's of cruisers that not only have TowBoatUS but also Sea Tow while transiting the ICW...because at around $170 each they figure that if something goes horribly wrong...it's cheap insurance to keep the boat and passengers out of harms way.

My best 2 friends are sailors and both have towing insurance...they know that a 1 chance in a thousand is worth it...not because the $500-$1000 bill they might ultimately pay...but they know in their hearts that if they lose an engine in a 3 knot current carrying them towards the bascule ocean bridge...they only have seconds to get the anchor down..know ing it's gonna drag a long way. But they know a towboat is only minutes away inside the inlet. The few seconds they debate in their mind whether paying a $600 dollar tow or resolving the issue themselves isn't worth not getting the insurance. Because the few seconds debate increases their chance they may drag under the bridge and lose their rig and maybe a lot of the seasons sailing waiting to get the insurance payment and it fixed.

For all the costs in boating...something that adds as much value as towing insurance for less than $200 per year is a no brainer according to the hundreds of people I tow every year. Now if you aren't near a towing vessel where you cruise...then you just crunch the numbers as to whether the $5000 dollars towing from Sea Tow or the $3000 for BoatUS to cover towing anywhere in the world is worth $170 or so a year.

It isn't for everyone...but many that don't have it and need it wish they dd and usually buy it after the very expensive tow.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:02   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

see that is where i have an issue.
in my mind wouldn't salvage be something that was destroyed?
Purely a legal definition, not the condition of the boat, some unscrupulous tow operators will hand a frazzled owner a salvage contract to sign, they sign without reading, and then back at the dock discover they have a problem.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:11   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

How does that Sea tow international policy work?

I would imagine most emergencies overseas would be considered salvage by Sea tow and not covered. IE aground on a reef in the Tuamotos, etc. Can't imagine sea tow would do much for you there.
Old 23-09-2013, 15:14   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why do they sell Towing Coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
How does that Sea tow international policy work?

I would imagine most emergencies overseas would be considered salvage by Sea tow and not covered. IE aground on a reef in the Tuamotos, etc. Can't imagine sea tow would do much for you there.
Need a lot of jerry cans for fuel..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:19   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We never request or accept a tow for grounding. We have grounded many times since buying our first liveaboard/cruiser sailboat in 1971, but all our events have been in sand, mud, shell or light gravel. We are far more careful near rock, coral or lee shores on large bodies of water. We are gunkholers, poking about to the shallow heads of estuaries and rivers or inland flats. Over these 42 years of cruising we have requested two tows once in 1972 and again in 2010. Both of these were with engine failure in a contricted channel. I did purchase towing insurance two months before my oil cooler split apart in 2010 and, yes, I will claim great fortune over pschic insight! I gave the BoatUS operater a good tip, but paid nothing for what would have been a $600 bill. I had decided that I would buy the insurance when I had about 6,000 hours on my engine. At an earlier time I did push my boat a short distance with our dinghy.
Yes, wev'e grounded.......

......but I would not request a tow from grounding unless I was pounding on a lee shore. 'horrid thought!
Old 23-09-2013, 15:20   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Was relation to post #32.

I wasn't looking to be contrary, but it would seem like them looking to kick you a few bucks you paid to a fisherman is a far cry from what I would call "international" towing.

I'll have to check out the Sea tow website.
Old 23-09-2013, 15:26   #42

Boat: Boatless
Had SeaTow come out and get me in the power boat. Two miles offshore Fort Lauderdale all the way to my marina. Would have cost $1600.00!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 15:36   #43

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Scoobert, get it for your first trip down the ICW. No doubt with experience you can do without, but I've heard a lot of sob stories from uninsured captains.

I still buy it, but never really run aground, and kedge off when I am poking into shallow water. I've never used it, and that's exactly why they sell it, because they make money on guys like me. I should prolly stop, but I haven't had a depth sounder for a couple of years. still never ran aground.... likely due to carrying towboat US insurance

You will run aground. How hard, how much damage, and how long you wait to float off are all things to consider.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 16:02   #44

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I gave the BoatUS operater a good tip, but paid nothing for what would have been a ....
I didn't tip the tow boat operator who towed me a couple miles up the potomac river...should I have?
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 16:05   #45

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Just think about it, if $200 can get you $2,000 of service, how can they stay in business?
Well because they collect $4,000 in payments and 1 of 20 ever need the help from them.
So chances are very good you won't need any help. Scoobert, however, I recommend maximum full coverage.

I would suggest instead, you spend the funds on more equipment to make you self-reliant, like maybe a big ass winch that can pull your boat out of a grounding,
or an inflatable salvage bag. Or a freezer to give cold beer or ice cream to your neighbors to help you.