Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2006, 21:22   #1

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Who's near Anacortes WA?

'Cause seeing that I just moved here and don't know anyone..

It might be fun to get the locals togather sometime. Chat boats, drink beer, maybe try sailing. But its mighty chilly right now and I hear the wind a blowin'.

-jim lee
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2006, 21:56   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Never heard of Anacortes, Western Australia. Is it near Kalbarri?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 07:48   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
WA

It is something I usually take a poke at, and that is location descriptions. You now know that WA is Western Australia as well as Washington USA. Sydney NS, Sydney BC, Sydney OZZ, it helps if we know which one. Same with Newport Beach and Portsmouh and Vancouver. There is a Vancouver in WA.
I am in Kelowna BC about 200 miles from you. The Vancouver BC boat show ( you missed Seattle ) is next week, I will be going. Waitangi Day is 06 February. Delmarrey is near you and there is a member in Victoria BC.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 08:06   #4

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Re: Who's near Anacortes WA?

Quote:
jim lee once whispered in the wind:

It might be fun to get the locals togather sometime. Chat boats, drink beer, maybe try sailing. But its mighty chilly right now and I hear the wind a blowin'.

-jim lee
If you haven't, you should check out http://www.sailcascadia.org/ and sign-up on the email list for awhile. The group can be very knowledgeable and they have get-togethers in your area.

Jim H
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 16:20   #5

Boat: OPB
Hi Jim -

I'm here in town, at least for another month. PM me with your contact & I'll give you a shout. And yes, this weather sucks!
Old 31-01-2006, 20:52   #6

Yeah, its howlin' out there tonight, cold too!

That cascadia list looks pretty interesting. I signed up, thanks!

-jim lee
Old 01-02-2006, 09:14   #7

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Realize Jim .....

We all pretty much receive the same weather from Seattle up to Greater Vancouver and Vancouver Island. Some areas definitely get more rain, others significantly less, but no matter how your store your umbrella, we gets lots of rain up here.

The good news for you is that January was a recording setting month for most days of rain in the month, so you have a "bad one" under your belt. Even for our areas, normally receiving moocho rain, this January was a nasty one. And as I tell folks just moving here, rain isn't the big deal you think it might be, its the continual "greyness" and darkness of it all.

The good news is that after you lived here about 5 years you begin to not notice the rain as much, nor the grey. It takes a really bad month for me to come to consciousness about our "winter" weather and say to myself, it really has rained a lot recently.

But even in the worst of it we have our sunny moments and about a week and a half ago we had a beautiful day of sun and folks were out sailing. In fact, this Sunday which was no great shakes of good weather, I saw some sailboats returning from weekend cruising.

They may have better weather in California, but we have the islands, fjords, wonderful coastal areas, the "inside passage", Desolation sound, and a host of great nooks and crannies. How many times can you sail to Catalina Island and think it is great fun?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:44   #8

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Jim - hi neighbour. I think there're a few of us in Victoria. With this wind (S 30G50 kts) you should just be able go outside and open your coat, and I'll see you in a few minutes.

Tsk, tsk Mike - it's Sidney BC, not Sydney.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 15:20   #9

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Speeling

Sorry about that. Sydney Sidney. Just bought a sail from a place in Sidney BC.
Mickhail in Klona.
Michael in Kelowna BC
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 22:49   #10

Boat: Viper 640
Lightbulb Close

Hey, I'm pretty close to you. I am down in Seattle, this year is a pretty busy year, but I'd like to see how you setup your propane system in your j/35.

-Hays
hays.clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 23:46   #11

Hello everyone. Not been online for a while..

Propane system? It came stock on the boat. Well the original one did. That one dissolved and I had to build my own. What year is your J/35? The later ones had a mini lazerette (sp?) on the starbord side of the tiller. Mine has a matching box on the port side for the propane bottle. (Mini bottle).

Yeah and BOY some of them storms up here really kick up a fuss don't they?

And your right, it -is- the greyness that gets you down. At least me. Humans must be programmed to sleep in if the light looks grey.

I've been struggling installing one of them diesil heating systems on the boat. Yikes what a nightmare! I've installed everything on this boat myself. Fridge, inverter, sterio, solar, autopilot, vane, watermaker... This heater installation is by far the worst. Maybe I'm getting old, maybe its the grey weather but its beating me up.

Last weekend the weather was wonderfull! People were out sailing all over, sunny, getting warm. And my machine is all torn up getting the heater installed. Grrrr!

Soon! I keep telling myself, Soon!

-jim lee