Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2018, 09:29   #136

Boat: Searching for a trimaran
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...4d-162.0786656
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 11:32   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikwanta View Post
The following book by Ed Atkin gives a good description of Palmyra

One Wave at a Time https://www.amazon.com/dp/0966606612..._knPhCbJ3CCNCM
I just purchased this book. Do you know anything about the authors?

Looks like Bernie Houston passed away a few years back.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:44   #138

I know I'm tacking on to an older thread, but I curate the Palmyra Atoll Digital Archive, dedicated to preserving Palmyra's history prior to its purchase by the Nature Conservancy in 2000. Really enjoyed reading about the various experiences posted here. If anyone would be interested in sharing stories, photos, or anything else related to Palmyra, let me know!
palmyra.archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 14:16   #139

Boat: Searching for a trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmyra.archive View Post
I know I'm tacking on to an older thread,
But some of us follow this thread

thanks
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 14:28   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, palmyra.archive.
It's so cool that you found us!
And now, we’ve found you ➥ http://www.palmyraarchive.org/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 14:30   #141

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
I know I'm tacking on to an older thread, but I curate the Palmyra Atoll Digital Archive, dedicated to preserving Palmyra's history prior to its purchase by the Nature Conservancy in 2000. Really enjoyed reading about the various experiences posted here. If anyone would be interested in sharing stories, photos, or anything else related to Palmyra, let me know!

That sounds really interesting. Is the archive available online anywhere?

EDIT - whoops
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 15:37   #142

Thanks! Probably should have posted a link, oops! The sailors perspective on Palmyra is one of my favorite parts of its history, so reading through the forum is really interesting stuff!
Old 05-06-2019, 16:31   #143

Quote:
Thanks! Probably should have posted a link, oops! The sailors perspective on Palmyra is one of my favorite parts of its history, so reading through the forum is really interesting stuff!

The archive is extremely well done - and I'll now wind up spending about 10 hours procrastinating and avoiding work. Thanks!! Interesting history of Palmyra is too important to neglect.
Old 05-06-2019, 16:45   #144

Quote:

Mr. Johnson, you have done an absolutely impeccable job of identifying, preserving and sharing this information. A real accomplishment through your efforts.

I'd really encourage anyone to take a look if you hold any curiosity at all about Palmyra. Amazing.

Palmyra Archive
Old 05-06-2019, 18:39   #145

Thanks for the kind words, and if you've spent time looking into Palmyra's history, instead of doing other things, I call that win!
Old 05-06-2019, 18:57   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You think Palmyra is bad.

There is a small Island off the west coast of the UK with a pub on it. They charge 4 pounds a pint!

Dont visit!

WHAAA!!!!!!!!!
PatMc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:34   #147

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch

Quote:
Thanks so much for the link but most of all, THANK YOU for the kind mention of Roger Lextrait as the longest resident of Palmyra.

I 1st met Roger in 1985 in Samoa where he was living on his yacht Coos Coos and was running a restaurant with his wife. I ran into him again, later (I believe 1987) in New Zealand.

As I stated in my previous post, I stayed on Palmyra for 3-months in 1985 (with the ~blessing of Dudley and Leslie Fullard Leo). At that time, there were only the occasional transiting yacht that visited me as I stayed on the island. When I returned in 1994, I was surprised to find Roger there and he had been there for some time. The yachts that visited were mostly friendly with Roger but there were the occasional visitor that resented (and/or rejected) his authority there. I even witnessed him having to pull a gun on one guy because the guy threatened his life, was told not to come ashore and he did so anyway (drunk). That was an ugly scene but I thought that Roger handled it well.

While I was there, there was a yacht that went aground on the windward side of the island. Roger (myself and others) broke his but trying to help the guy recover his boat, which in the end was impossible due to a hull breach. All kinds of stories were floating around that Roger tried to steal the guys belongings and other stupid stuff. I just want to set the record straight. Those stories are unfounded. Roger did his best to help.

Anyway, between 1985 and 1995, not a lot had changed on Palmyra. It seems that visitors thought that they were welcome to anything that they could find but for the most part, I think the visiting yachts were reasonably respectful.

It made me sick when I would hear of people that filed law suits against the Fullard Leo family when the the people would get hurt through their own foolishness. I'm thankful that the family is out from under that burden and that Palmyra is now protected.

BTW...... Have you been inside the hospital?
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:08   #148

Glad you enjoyed the link! I'm always excited to hear from people with personal experiences on Palmyra, and especially those who know Roger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post

While I was there, there was a yacht that went aground on the windward side of the island. Roger (myself and others) broke his but trying to help the guy recover his boat, which in the end was impossible due to a hull breach. All kinds of stories were floating around that Roger tried to steal the guys belongings and other stupid stuff. I just want to set the record straight. Those stories are unfounded. Roger did his best to help.
I had a chance to edit/review Roger's autobiography of his time on Palmyra a few years ago, and these events always stood out to me. I call it the "Hearts of Palm" incident, that being the name of the ship that wrecked. I've found other places online, clearly written by those guys, or their friends, that describe Roger as the problem in the scenario, but I never bought it. The way he tells the story makes it pretty clear what happened, and while I know Roger wasn't perfect, he did a hell of a job protecting and managing Palmyra considering he was mostly on his own and under such stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
BTW...... Have you been inside the hospital?
When I was on Palmyra back in January, that area was closed off because of the Government shutdown (which literally ended an hour before our plane left, oh well). I do have photos of the interior from one of the guys who has worked on Palmyra for the last 15 years, and they're incredible. I did get to go inside "Roger's House" as they call it, which is unfortunately falling into the ocean, because Home Island (now they call in Broken Home Island) has split in two and is eroding.

If you have other stories, photos, etc, from your time on Palmyra, I'd love to hear more. Thanks for responding!
Old 10-06-2019, 12:32   #149

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed the link! I'm always excited to hear from people with personal experiences on Palmyra, and especially those who know Roger!

I had a chance to edit/review Roger's autobiography of his time on Palmyra a few years ago, and these events always stood out to me. I call it the "Hearts of Palm" incident, that being the name of the ship that wrecked. I've found other places online, clearly written by those guys, or their friends, that describe Roger as the problem in the scenario, but I never bought it. The way he tells the story makes it pretty clear what happened, and while I know Roger wasn't perfect, he did a hell of a job protecting and managing Palmyra considering he was mostly on his own and under such stress.

When I was on Palmyra back in January, that area was closed off because of the Government shutdown (which literally ended an hour before our plane left, oh well). I do have photos of the interior from one of the guys who has worked on Palmyra for the last 15 years, and they're incredible. I did get to go inside "Roger's House" as they call it, which is unfortunately falling into the ocean, because Home Island (now they call in Broken Home Island) has split in two and is eroding.

If you have other stories, photos, etc, from your time on Palmyra, I'd love to hear more. Thanks for responding!
Please feel free to email me. I have some photos and even photos from the inside of the hospital in '94. Many of my pictures were water damaged because of my collision with cyclone Bola in 1988, while in transit from New Zealand to Australia. However, I still have some of Palmyra but I don't know how to post them on this forum.

I had pictures that I took in 1985 but they were lost. At that time, the walls were still up, the beds in there places and some supplies still on the shelves. Most of that was gone in '94. Leslie Fullard Leo asked me to take those pictures and send them to him. I assume that the family still has them. I sent him about 50-60 pictures of various places, at his request.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 14:55   #150

Fantastic archive!
Great reading.
...but will the misdirection of: "1,000 miles southeast of Hawaii" really keep people from actually finding it?
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote