Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2021, 14:49   #106

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Who Winter Sails Subzero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The part about the meat and dog food sounds like BS. I always found it was good for coming out of a can. Anybody that ever worked in that kind of food plant probably doesn't want to eat their product.
There probably isn't a difference from one brand or another?
(I was being facetious... eat what you like - I do. But then again, I weigh 260 lbs...)
Old 30-12-2021, 15:07   #107

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I believe you could have made it under that bridge at high tide without a problem.

I'm not an expert, just a cruiser who has had to learn as I go, and one thing I learned that may interest you about this situation-

- The datum for water depth on NOAA charts, Navionics, etc. is MLW
- The datum for elevation, also known as "Air Gap" with bridges, overhead cables, etc. is MHW and in some cases MHHW.

PLEASE don't take my word for anything as I'm not an expert- do your own research and confirm for yourself.
Just a quick correction. NOAA charts take the datum from MLLW, and bridge clearance is taken from MHW. Most other chart authorities (Admiralty, CHS, etc.) typically take bridge clearance from HHWLT, HAT or equivalent. With clearance taken from the highest highs, you are almost guaranteed to have the clearance written on the chart. With American charts however, you might have tides higher than MHW, so you should always check the tides. Most bridges in the US are equipped with "clearance boards" so you can read the actual clearance right off the bridge stanchion.

Download Chart 1 and have a peek at section H: https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publ...s-chart-1.html
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 17:00   #108

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We usually sail year round in Vancouver and the only significant hazard in my view is that decks become very slippery with snow on them. Freezing rain is worse.

We brought our current Vancouver-based boat from Ladysmith to Vancouver on December 31/Jan 1 about 3 years ago. The weather was similar to today's in terms of temperature, about -3 to -7C. Unlike today, there was no snow.

There was no wind on day 1 of that trip when we moved from Ladysmith to Silva Bay. Day 2 crossing the straight we were able to sail a bit. There was one other boat making the same crossing and a few boats out in English Bay.

We use our downhill skiing gear for inner layers except no down, and for the outerlayer is is Musto and Henry Lloyd. I have insulated HH deck boots. Our winter gloves are Gill which are ok, but when it is really cold I switch to Goretex outer mitts and fleece inner mitts.

Good luck - I hope it goes well (looks like you are underway). BTW, I love that particular boat that you list in your profile. Beautiful!
Old 30-12-2021, 19:02   #109

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Update: we woke up this morning to 3” of new snow. Spent a bit longer then had time for cleaning it. Temp was -5°c and headed north up swinomish channel.

Low tide was 6’ and we were going to be at the next bridge about 30min after. Us 64’ plus 7’ tide and bridge is 75’. With the Current against us was great because we could inch up to the bridge and if we weren’t going to make it we could fall back pretty quickly. It was tricky because the towers or pillars of the bridge funnel all the water so the current will change slightly and would have to adjust the throttle but we cleared barely a few feet it felt like. After that, going through the bay was no problem but when we got out, we were greeted with 25 to 30 kt winds and 5 to 6 foot seas.

It got gnarly really quick and was difficult to decide what to do, give up and go into anacortes, Head east to Bellingham or continue to point Roberts. We decided to keep going, I know the boat could handle it but wasn’t sure we could as the winds were bitter cold outflow from Bellingham. Once we got to Lummi Island things started to die down, waves became bumps and the sun came out. Felt like maybe +1 and the wind and spray from earlier took most of the snow pack from the boat. I decided to get a sail up, but the track for the outhaul was frozen still and somehow a pin from a shackle came out which I found on the deck for the outhaul line. We were tethered in the whole time and felt fairly safe.

Before we knew it sun was shining and both sales were up, motor sailing at over eight kts hitting 9.2 for a while. We made it to point Roberts well ahead of schedule and will be hanging out here until we can get Covid tests and head back to Vancouver. Sorry for rotated pics. Do t know why it does that but if you click them they rotate. At least for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF6D2EDE-14DF-4D35-B888-8105E800DB6D.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	250557   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E8347E7-6124-42BA-92EE-22867E8BDD49.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	250558  

Name:	075A013B-8D85-4218-9DC8-303428A55AD1.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	250559   Click image for larger version

Name:	278D0112-DDBD-4172-B893-A9EBDF677B0B.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	250560  

Name:	08CF0EE9-D219-40BF-8F67-5B515EFCC435.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	250561   Click image for larger version

Name:	A55779EE-EFFB-406E-B431-0ECD11F07F88.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	250562  

bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 19:37   #110

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Troopers! Love it.

I mean I love the stories and photos.

What’s the course heading to Nuku Hiva? Follow that.
Old 30-12-2021, 20:47   #111

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Nice reporting, thanks for sharing and keep it coming! Fair winds to you.
Old 31-12-2021, 06:56   #112

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccoast View Post
Low tide was 6’ and we were going to be at the next bridge about 30min after. Us 64’ plus 7’ tide and bridge is 75’. With the Current against us was great because we could inch up to the bridge and if we weren’t going to make it we could fall back pretty quickly. It was tricky because the towers or pillars of the bridge funnel all the water so the current will change slightly and would have to adjust the throttle but we cleared barely a few feet it felt like.
MHW is 9.43 ft, so 75;clearance + 9.43' MHW - 7' HOT - 64' = 13.43 ft actual clearance from the top of your stick. Not that it still doesn't look like you're scraping through from the deck

Spent a lot of time motoring around the Salish Sea on an open bridge through the winter season, and noted there were a handful of hearty all-year sailors. Nothing more magical than sailing in a snowstorm. Well done so far, fair winds for the remainder.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 13:36   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Here is a Weather Forecast for the next couple of weeks. Good Luck.

Be aware there may be no room in the marina if they are frozen in.

Advise a dry suit if you are going to be handling sailing chores on deck.

Patrons up in NW WA & BC, (and those above 1,000 ft) have plenty of winter issues still at hand. While the Fraser Wind will ebb & flow, cold outflows are not completely behind us yet (below). It should be mostly dry and chilly on the 1st day of Twenty-Twenty-Two.

The next very wet system is moving down the panhandle of Alaska & coast of BC for arrival in the PNW before sunrise Sunday, Jan 2 (from north to south). The “New Year" storm will have impact. It will bring moderate-to-heavy rain to most locations, but we will stick our proverbial Mug out and forecast that surface - or 550 ft and above - SNOW and/or Freezing rain will be possible in locations from Portland north into southern BC. Wet, “heavy” big-flake snow, if you get some. Patrons in the Columbia River Gorge area are likely to get a lot of snow, freezing rain before transition to rain (if any at all). Sunday night will be stormy. ->> The morning commute on Monday could be crazy. HEED Nat’l Wx Service alerts. After that storm front passes, there may be enough cold air 'draw in behind’ to set off more snow or snow/rain mix at the surface, or close to it, esp for Patrons north of Salem. This is possible into Tue Jan 4.

A ‘warm’ front moves in overnight Tue, with rain for western OR, a dusting of snow or snow/rain mix in Bellingham/Abbotsford area before sunrise Wed. The scene will be set. A stronger front arrives overnight Wed, ushering in moderate rain, Columbia River Gorge frozen precip issues, and - if the Fraser Outflow kicks in just a little - snow and/or freezing rain for Bellingham north, at least for a few hours. Please note: the ‘just in’ model run from GFS indicates that the Wed night arrival, on into Thu morning, could start as SNOW and/of Freezing rain from Portland (and east) up to Canada. We like to see several runs showing similar outlooks, but for now, there could be enough cold air from the east drawn into western locations for that frozen precip issue to verify.

It will likely be on/off rain for all of the western areas of the PNW from late Thu into early Saturday, Jan 6-8. The rest of that weekend should be DRY & chilly, with temps dipping below freezing just about everywhere Sunday morning the 9th.

An offshore, NE-to-E, wind will dominate the weather for the week of Jan 10-14. Temps will top above freezing during the day; below freezing at night in wind sheltered areas. Yes, it looks DRY until late Fri the 14th. Good time to take down outdoor decorations, as temps should gradually warm as that week progresses. Daylight hours are slowly getting longer.

The weekend of Jan 15,16 is trending dry, with offshore breezes. Some model scenarios bring a one day rain to western WA on Sat. Not a bad January weekend in the great PNW.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 13:43   #114
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

For me, it's not the cold that puts a damper on winter sailing:
  • Poor fishing
  • No swimming
  • Many eateries are closed
  • Long nights
So day sailing it is.
Old 31-12-2021, 13:46   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Way to go. It is a challenge but sounds like your surviving. Give the Fraser River delta a litle room as you run north. You are only a day away. No need to cut the corner and get stuck on one of the drifting sand bars out there.

Watch for fog. Good time to test your radar skill while in Pt Roberts. The temps can generate ground or sea fog. Sit in the cockpit look straight up and see sunshine. Look out over the bow and you wonder where did the front of the boat go?
Old 31-12-2021, 13:52   #116

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSailem View Post
Here is a Weather Forecast for the next couple of weeks. Good Luck.

Be aware there may be no room in the marina if they are frozen in.

Advise a dry suit if you are going to be handling sailing chores on deck.

Patrons up in NW WA & BC, (and those above 1,000 ft) have plenty of winter issues still at hand. While the Fraser Wind will ebb & flow, cold outflows are not completely behind us yet (below). It should be mostly dry and chilly on the 1st day of Twenty-Twenty-Two.

The next very wet system is moving down the panhandle of Alaska & coast of BC for arrival in the PNW before sunrise Sunday, Jan 2 (from north to south). The “New Year" storm will have impact. It will bring moderate-to-heavy rain to most locations, but we will stick our proverbial Mug out and forecast that surface - or 550 ft and above - SNOW and/or Freezing rain will be possible in locations from Portland north into southern BC. Wet, “heavy” big-flake snow, if you get some. Patrons in the Columbia River Gorge area are likely to get a lot of snow, freezing rain before transition to rain (if any at all). Sunday night will be stormy. ->> The morning commute on Monday could be crazy. HEED Nat’l Wx Service alerts. After that storm front passes, there may be enough cold air 'draw in behind’ to set off more snow or snow/rain mix at the surface, or close to it, esp for Patrons north of Salem. This is possible into Tue Jan 4.

A ‘warm’ front moves in overnight Tue, with rain for western OR, a dusting of snow or snow/rain mix in Bellingham/Abbotsford area before sunrise Wed. The scene will be set. A stronger front arrives overnight Wed, ushering in moderate rain, Columbia River Gorge frozen precip issues, and - if the Fraser Outflow kicks in just a little - snow and/or freezing rain for Bellingham north, at least for a few hours. Please note: the ‘just in’ model run from GFS indicates that the Wed night arrival, on into Thu morning, could start as SNOW and/of Freezing rain from Portland (and east) up to Canada. We like to see several runs showing similar outlooks, but for now, there could be enough cold air from the east drawn into western locations for that frozen precip issue to verify.

It will likely be on/off rain for all of the western areas of the PNW from late Thu into early Saturday, Jan 6-8. The rest of that weekend should be DRY & chilly, with temps dipping below freezing just about everywhere Sunday morning the 9th.

An offshore, NE-to-E, wind will dominate the weather for the week of Jan 10-14. Temps will top above freezing during the day; below freezing at night in wind sheltered areas. Yes, it looks DRY until late Fri the 14th. Good time to take down outdoor decorations, as temps should gradually warm as that week progresses. Daylight hours are slowly getting longer.

The weekend of Jan 15,16 is trending dry, with offshore breezes. Some model scenarios bring a one day rain to western WA on Sat. Not a bad January weekend in the great PNW.
I am totally ignorant about the PNW but would heed your writeup if I were there.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 14:08   #117

Boat: Sceptre 41

Environment Canada Marine Forecast
Issued 10:30 AM PST 31 December 2021

Southern Georgia Strait
Today Tonight and Saturday.

Gale warning in effect.

Wind east 5 to 15 knots except northeast 25 south of Tsawwassen late this morning and northeast 20 south of Tsawwassen. Wind becoming light this afternoon except northeast 15 south of Tsawwassen. Wind becoming east 5 to 15 this evening then veering to southeast 10 to 15 near midnight. Wind increasing to southeast 15 to 20 late overnight then becoming southeast 15 to 25 Saturday morning. Wind increasing to southeast 25 to 35 Saturday evening.

Periods of snow Saturday. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow.

Temperatures minus 2 rising to plus 2 Saturday evening.

Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.

Georgia Strait Extended Forecast
Issued 04:00 AM PST 31 December 2021
Sunday Wind southeast 35 to 45 knots diminishing to southeast 20 to 30 in the morning.
Monday Wind southeast 15 to 25 knots diminishing to southwest 5 to 15 late in the day.
Tuesday Wind southeast 20 to 30 knots diminishing to southwest 5 to 15 late in the
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 14:54   #118

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

We are getting covid tests to get back into canada sunday and thinking about making trip from pt roberts to vancouver monday. Its prob 5-6 hours depending on some variables. Monday atm seems like best day?

Wish we could of gone today. Wind dropped off around 10am but no tests.
bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 15:02   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It is a bummer to do the tests but it is what it is.
Old 31-12-2021, 15:25   #120

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

PredictWind PWE and PWG models are consistent with the Environment Canada forecast for Monday shown by SV Pelagia. Wind around Pt. Roberts will be 15-20 starting around Monday noon. That time is about 3 days out so checking even the PW free models would be wise.

Not sure where you are headed, but Coal Harbour has a thin layer of ice but probably not thick enough to be an issue. We look into False Creek which seems to be mostly ice free at least at the English Bay end.

Good luck.

Tags
PNW, sail, sails, vancouver, winter