Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2021, 20:26   #91

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Who Winter Sails Subzero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccoast View Post
Light on heater control goes on like normal, no flashing. Unfortunately my main panel at nav station display is desd. There was a alarm beep after we docked and around time I think I turned off heater.

Trying to figure out which fuse it is, as manual says that can reset fault.
Thermostat turned up?
You can unmount it and connect the wires directly, on the back or jump with a wire.
That would take the t stat out of the equation.

Then after attempting a restart, check for loose connections, it was working prior to departure correct?
Maybe the connectors worked loose.
For sure check the connections at the fuel pump.
And the Ground wire!!

Kind of surprised that their is no flashing.
Really check the stat if you've not so far.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 21:15   #92

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

update. getting the hang of this sailing thing, I mean fixing sailboat thing. lol. jeez have only owned the boat 5 days.... fun times ahead. lol

So tracked down the power line and found a blown fuse hidden in the port battery compartment. a chilly 35 minute walk to Walmart and a bag full of fuses and she started right up. I called Shure in Ballard and they said it sounded most likely a fuse as if something with the actual unit was faulty would get flash codes.

Have the guest dock all to ourselves, had to track through 4" of fresh snow but has warmed up to -4ºC, so stoked to have the heater going.

Next up is trying to find a PCR test so that we can get back into Canada and time it so we meet the 72 hour criteria. Point Roberts does tests wed and sun but would mean taking another week to get home. Hopefully can find a place in Bellingham, even one of those $200 ones. Any Bellingham locals have any knowledge of a place?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	akisame_9469.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	250448  
bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 10:01   #93

I am open if you need crew. Our boat is in Anacortes and we sail year round. Also have nexus. Should be able to test at any walk-in clinic there is also one drive through in mt Vernon.
Tbreptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 10:28   #94

Quote:
update. getting the hang of this sailing thing, I mean fixing sailboat thing. lol. jeez have only owned the boat 5 days.... fun times ahead. lol

So tracked down the power line and found a blown fuse hidden in the port battery compartment. a chilly 35 minute walk to Walmart and a bag full of fuses and she started right up. I called Shure in Ballard and they said it sounded most likely a fuse as if something with the actual unit was faulty would get flash codes.

Have the guest dock all to ourselves, had to track through 4" of fresh snow but has warmed up to -4ºC, so stoked to have the heater going.

Next up is trying to find a PCR test so that we can get back into Canada and time it so we meet the 72 hour criteria. Point Roberts does tests wed and sun but would mean taking another week to get home. Hopefully can find a place in Bellingham, even one of those $200 ones. Any Bellingham locals have any knowledge of a place?
Damn, virus.
Hey there's some Fairly blustery wind predictions in your area, so be careful!! 25 down to 7mph by 4pm.
Rising again tonight to 30+.
Wind chill in the minus range.
I've been in Bellingham Bay and Roserio Strait in Big wind and with the current set it can be Damn Dangerous.
Maybe get that snow off your deck in case something get loose up front.
Snow is dang slippery on Gelcoat.
I'm glad you are stretching you transit time.
Pretty crazy weather in our area right now.
Stay safe boaters,
Boatyarddog
Old 30-12-2021, 07:06   #95

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Heading out this morning from La Conner and straight shot two point Roberts. It seems like the only weather window until next week to get through. Wins look 11 to 15 kn from the north east so not great but better than 45. Will look for options if we change our mind when we get into the bay can always pull off to Bellingham if we need to. Got held up in LaConner because of high tide and our mass height. We are 64 feet and the bridges are 75 above low water and it was a high tide yesterday. We just cleared the first bridge on a rising tide and didn’t want to risk it.
bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 07:21   #96

Boat: Gulfstar 41

I have delivered sailboats on the Great Lakes in below freezing temps. Most of the trips have been done under power and only when the forecast was for relatively calm conditions. I found it very helpful to use a heater on a 20 lb. propane tank in the cockpit aimed toward the helm. Of course, it needs to be well-secured and constantly monitored. It made the trips significantly more comfortable.
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 09:37   #97

Quote:
Heading out this morning from La Conner and straight shot two point Roberts. It seems like the only weather window until next week to get through. Wins look 11 to 15 kn from the north east so not great but better than 45. Will look for options if we change our mind when we get into the bay can always pull off to Bellingham if we need to. Got held up in LaConner because of high tide and our mass height. We are 64 feet and the bridges are 75 above low water and it was a high tide yesterday. We just cleared the first bridge on a rising tide and didn’t want to risk it.
I didn't consider you'd have any issues with Swinhomish Channel other than a low tide, usually just have to be aware of the dredged depth there 20 ft.
It slits in though. Some places were 15 or less in 2020.

At 65 ft.
Your a tall rig.
Glad all is well.
Hope you get your test and clearance.
Good planning guys.
Boatyarddog
Old 30-12-2021, 10:35   #98

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
I believe you could have made it under that bridge at high tide without a problem.

I'm not an expert, just a cruiser who has had to learn as I go, and one thing I learned that may interest you about this situation-

- The datum for water depth on NOAA charts, Navionics, etc. is MLW
- The datum for elevation, also known as "Air Gap" with bridges, overhead cables, etc. is MHW and in some cases MHHW.

The above distinction means that at "mean high water" the bridge height is 75 feet and you have 10 feet to spare if the top of your mast is 65 feet from the water. Figuring out what "mean high water" is for a particular location is a challenge, but here's a resource for La Conner and you can search other areas as well- https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/da...tml?id=9448558

According to the above, MHW is 6.73 in the Swinomish Slough, and assuming that the La Conner bridge is in the slough (I'm not sure, this is just an example) the bridge height is 75 feet when the water is 6.73 feet deep. If anyone reading this has better information, please chime in!

In practice, my observation is that the average high tide of Puget Sound is @+8 feet so I figure based on that and add 8 feet to the charted depth (which is MLW) to figure the air gap under any bridge in this area.

Like you, the top of our mast is 65 feet above the water. We easily clear a 75 foot bridge at high tide and do it all the time (for example, the Agate Passage bridge).

My wife gets nervous under low bridges and we agreed not to go under at the top of a high tide. For example, here in Puget Sound "high" tide usually tops out at @+12 feet, but in supertides we've seen +14 feet. Our agreement is that +10 feet is our max for a 75 foot bridge even though intellectually we know that we would/should be fine at all foreseeable tide levels.

Here's an online NOAA chart of the La Conner bridge area- https://charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18427.shtml

On all NOAA charts you can find the datums they use in a table on the chart, in this case, by looking in the lower right corner you will see that "Heights in feet above Mean High Water." Sometimes a chart will specify a particular bridge height as "MHW" or "MHHW" etc, but usually the datums are elsewhere, not on every number.

Learning this has made our navigation much easier when planning routes and I hope this is helpful to you as well.

PLEASE don't take my word for anything as I'm not an expert- do your own research and confirm for yourself.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 11:13   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I believe you could have made it under that bridge at high tide without a problem.

I'm not an expert, just a cruiser who has had to learn as I go, and one thing I learned that may interest you about this situation-

- The datum for water depth on NOAA charts, Navionics, etc. is MLW
- The datum for elevation, also known as "Air Gap" with bridges, overhead cables, etc. is MHW and in some cases MHHW.

The above distinction means that at "mean high water" the bridge height is 75 feet and you have 10 feet to spare if the top of your mast is 65 feet from the water. Figuring out what "mean high water" is for a particular location is a challenge, but here's a resource for La Conner and you can search other areas as well- https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/da...tml?id=9448558

According to the above, MHW is 6.73 in the Swinomish Slough, and assuming that the La Conner bridge is in the slough (I'm not sure, this is just an example) the bridge height is 75 feet when the water is 6.73 feet deep. If anyone reading this has better information, please chime in!

In practice, my observation is that the average high tide of Puget Sound is @+8 feet so I figure based on that and add 8 feet to the charted depth (which is MLW) to figure the air gap under any bridge in this area.

Like you, the top of our mast is 65 feet above the water. We easily clear a 75 foot bridge at high tide and do it all the time (for example, the Agate Passage bridge).

My wife gets nervous under low bridges and we agreed not to go under at the top of a high tide. For example, here in Puget Sound "high" tide usually tops out at @+12 feet, but in supertides we've seen +14 feet. Our agreement is that +10 feet is our max for a 75 foot bridge even though intellectually we know that we would/should be fine at all foreseeable tide levels.

Here's an online NOAA chart of the La Conner bridge area- https://charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18427.shtml

On all NOAA charts you can find the datums they use in a table on the chart, in this case, by looking in the lower right corner you will see that "Heights in feet above Mean High Water." Sometimes a chart will specify a particular bridge height as "MHW" or "MHHW" etc, but usually the datums are elsewhere, not on every number.

Learning this has made our navigation much easier when planning routes and I hope this is helpful to you as well.

PLEASE don't take my word for anything as I'm not an expert- do your own research and confirm for yourself.
I think the deepest part dredged is in La Connor, under the Rainbow Bridge https://www.google.com/search?q=rain...&client=safari
75 ft above the channel.
This area silts in mainly at the Skagit Bay side.
Your draft may dictate how well you get under it.
Last dredging was 2014, the southern end is more shallow.
Stay in the middle, with care.
Also currents push you around so watch your track.
Boatyarddog
Old 30-12-2021, 12:58   #100

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Waiting for next update. Like photos. You've got cajones.

Don't know how you cold weather people do it. Water is supposed to be at least 23C. I hate even donning fleece.
Old 30-12-2021, 13:27   #101

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Here in the PNW this is "standard stockage" for the galley on any boat.
Always have several cans aboard.

LOL I know where this is made. In my book it falls right behind menudo. They use meat from old dairy cows, that the dog food companies reject.

Then again, SPAM isn't any better and I like that.
Old 30-12-2021, 13:57   #102
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBoatman View Post
Two things to consider, do not let your hands freeze to the wheel,
and do not let the ice accumulate on your deck to where its weight begins to rival that of your keel. Sailing upside down is no fun, I suggest waiting for a comfortable first sail. You also must have considerable trust in the folks which commisioned your boat. Anxious to sail or not I don't know of anyone that would volunteer for a shake down cruise in potentially freezing temperatures.

I brought my last boat home ~ 100 miles below freezing.

a. The cap was a gag gift from my daughter. I've never worn it since.
b. We wrapped the wheel the night before.
c. Yeah, I'm wearing ski pants and sitting behind a big dodger.

The wind hit 35 knots for about an hour when a high pressure ridge passed. One of the props spun (notice that only one engine is running). A thru-hull sprung a leak, but it was in a bulk headed compartment. The batteries died the second day, so we lost nav, both engines, and had to sail into the slip (yes, the boat was surveyed). But seriously, nothing important went wrong. It was fun. I was also not a new sailor and not new to the area.

No, delivery trips are never to be taken lightly. Many sad stories. Either wait for a perfect weather window or wait until spring.

Old 30-12-2021, 14:00   #103
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Waiting for next update. Like photos. You've got cajones.

Don't know how you cold weather people do it. Water is supposed to be at least 23C. I hate even donning fleece.

I pretty much hate air temperatures above 85F. I turn the heat down to 64F at night so I can sleep.
Old 30-12-2021, 14:04   #104

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post

LOL I know where this is made. In my book it falls right behind menudo. They use meat from old dairy cows, that the dog food companies reject.

Then again, SPAM isn't any better and I like that.
The part about the meat and dog food sounds like BS. I always found it was good for coming out of a can. Anybody that ever worked in that kind of food plant probably doesn't want to eat their product.
There probably isn't a difference from one brand or another?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 14:46   #105

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I brought my last boat home ~ 100 miles below freezing.
How do you convert that to C or F?

Tags
PNW, sail, sails, vancouver, winter