Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 13:16   #91

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Who has fallen off the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I remember that story about the Chinese woman. Agree, incredible

But how in the heck do you fall off a cruise ship??
I doubt you do fall off? Unless drunk or helped off or a combo. Maybe suffering from depression and committing sewerpipes. Maybe mimicking Kate Winslet on the Titanic movie?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 13:22   #92

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Agree...if you fall off a cruise ship you were helped over the chest high rail...aka, thrown off.

Or drunk and trying a balance on the rail...

For the drunk people they help strengthen the gene pool.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 13:38   #93

Quote:
Agree...if you fall off a cruise ship you were helped over the chest high rail...aka, thrown off.

From the cost of drinks on a cruise ship it must be planned to get that hammered.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:32   #94

Boat: Lots of boats.

If this thread has taught me anything, it shows lots of otherwise careful people end up in the drink at some point. Being another year older, I will show a lot more caution this year than in years past.

Other than flipping out of the occasioal canoe, I have never fallen into the water. My younger brother was not so lucky. 2 years ago on this same day, April 2nd, at around 5:00 AM my brother and I woke to make an early trip to the marina head. I got off first and noticed what was a step up the night before was now a step down. I caught my balance and turned to warn my brother. Too late, all I saw was a flash go by followed by a loud splash. He was lucky not to hit the boat in the slip next door. As it was, I could not get him out of the water by myself.

The water temp was 40 degrees. He started swimming for his shoe that was floating away with the current. I told him to stay put and hold onto the piling. I went for a rope to put around his waste in case he lost consciousness and noticed the dock ladder. I directed him over but then had a hard time figuring out how it worked. Got it down just in time. He climbed about halfway up and needed coaxed the rest of the way as he was starting to fade.

He plopped onto the dock and we got his cold clothes off and made our way to the heated bathrooms. He stayed in there for about a half hour and I basically gave him the clothes off my back. We did not plan to stay on the boat overnight so did not carry any spare clothes. I did have a small heater going on the boat and until our ride could get there, he slept bundled up in front of the heater. We were lucky no real harm was done.

I pretty much practice 3 point balancing on the boat. I don't move unless I'm holding onto something, at least to steady my balance. I also watch where I step and this thread has pointed out to me the importance of looking before you leap. Better yet, don't leap!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:37   #95

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

This thread taught me not to lean against life lines. A fair number of these stories were about snapped pelican hooks!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 15:21   #96

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

My husband fell off our Jeanneau when we were up on the dry, 10 mins after getting hauled out. People were saying he should have fallen off 10 mins earlier ...... but a recent flood washed a bull shark out of that river, onto the road, so I'm not sure now.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 21:12   #97

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:

I have not been on a cruise ship but on a ferry, last May, we were against the weather. It was a boisterous crossing. We were on the top deck, about 20 feet off the water and the water was coming over the rail. The important part though, while the rails were almost chest high on me, the horizontal "slats" were about 10" apart. As a small woman that 10" gap was huge. I could have very easily slipped off the deck and under the rail if I had lost my footing.
I have no idea of the layout of the ship that lady was on but there are far more ways off a ship than on it!
Old 02-04-2017, 23:02   #98

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

I race Hobbie Cats; I've fallen off more times than I can count. Usually 6-8' above the water while trying in vain not to land on the sail, and once or twice at high speeds over the bow in a spectacular pitch-pole.

Getting the Hunter 40.5 to do this has proven a bit of a challenge...
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:15   #99

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

If anyone wants to read some more accounts of MOB events, do an internet search for: Lifesling case history.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:52   #100

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
If anyone wants to read some more accounts of MOB events, do an internet search for: Lifesling case history.
all cases seem to be involving monos. Anyone incident on cruising cat and how did you handle?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:16   #101
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Who has fallen off the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
all cases seem to be involving monos. Anyone incident on cruising cat and how did you handle?
It was over the horizon before I hit the water..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:16   #102

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

Thanks for all the stories. A good reinforcement that I need to get my hard points and jacklines set up sooner rather than later, and wear my PFD more often.

My story is about 3 feet of boy falling into 4 feet of water. I was at the municipal dock of one of the little forgotten places of Ontario I can frequent with my shallow draft. A boy maybe 4 was fishing off the dock with a man old enough to know better. Boy suddenly fell in. I fell to the dock and scooped him out in a matter of seconds. After the excitement was over, the man announces that he can't swim.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:38   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
Hi:

Thanks for all the stories. A good reinforcement that I need to get my hard points and jacklines set up sooner rather than later, and wear my PFD more often.

My story is about 3 feet of boy falling into 4 feet of water. I was at the municipal dock of one of the little forgotten places of Ontario I can frequent with my shallow draft. A boy maybe 4 was fishing off the dock with a man old enough to know better. Boy suddenly fell in. I fell to the dock and scooped him out in a matter of seconds. After the excitement was over, the man announces that he can't swim.

Boulter
I've seen more near disasters with kids and ripe tides, on the beach, than kids going overboard. People sailing with kids know the risks, most of them.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:43   #104

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Agree riptides are dangerous but if you do not panic, which is not easy, you can swim parallel(ish) toward the shore.

Falling off a boat and watching it sail away, especially at night, like a few wrote about has to be super scary.

I am learning, and think I might teather myself more than I would without hearing these stories. I am sure the people that fell off a boat are about the same as I am. Not extra clumsey, not extra stupid, just not teathered when it might have been prudent.

My nature is not healthy and not safe. My typical mindset is, I can be careful and move forward without being teathered. Ugh, and there I am, in the ocean with 12 maybe 20 hours to live.

I am rethinking what boat would be the safest for me and now when I look at boats 'safety' will be high on my list of things to look for.

Also I will use the personal locating beacon and a life vest when on the boat...mandatory for everyone on board or we do not shove off.

Thanks to everyone - you have been very helpful.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 13:12   #105

Quote:
Agree riptides are dangerous but if you do not panic, which is not easy, you can swim parallel(ish) toward the shore.

Falling off a boat and watching it sail away, especially at night, like a few wrote about has to be super scary.

I am learning, and think I might teather myself more than I would without hearing these stories. I am sure the people that fell off a boat are about the same as I am. Not extra clumsey, not extra stupid, just not teathered when it might have been prudent.

My nature is not healthy and not safe. My typical mindset is, I can be careful and move forward without being teathered. Ugh, and there I am, in the ocean with 12 maybe 20 hours to live.

I am rethinking what boat would be the safest for me and now when I look at boats 'safety' will be high on my list of things to look for.

Also I will use the personal locating beacon and a life vest when on the boat...mandatory for everyone on board or we do not shove off.

Thanks to everyone - you have been very helpful.
The point was, most people sailing with kids know the risks and take precautions. People on the beach generally don't.

Just an observation. My little brother was born with an orange vest I'm sure.

Tags
boat