Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 20:04   #1

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Which Is Healthier: Cruising Or A Land-Based Existence?

I've been cruising, and I've lived on dry land, and cruising is healthier! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Every day I see patients from all walks of life living high stress self-destructive lifestyles.

I think about my time spent sailing in a low stress and non-self destructive way of life.

I think about living in a major city - wading through a viral soup everywhere I go. If you really want to risk your life, get on an airplane with two hundred other people in close proximity sharing their microbes on a four to eight hour flight. I remember that people were getting malaria in the area around the Amsterdam airport from mosquitos that had bitten Afrcian visitors who had deplaned in the Netherlands.

I think about crusing on my yacht and sailing away from the viral soup of civilization. Many of the best cruising destinations are also some of the most healthy places in the world in which to live low stress lives.

My advice to everyone is to run for your life. Get on an yacht and escape the viral soup. Sail the seven seas where you are safe from the diseases of civilization.

What do you think? Is cruising on a yacht more healthy than a land based existence?
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 20:07   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 30K
well yea...
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 20:29   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Mo betta! I always seem to loose the excess body weight after a long cruise.

But it is more dangerous!
Old 11-02-2010, 20:34   #4

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
New studys show that boredom leads to early death.
You will not be bored onboard.

I hope to live long enough to go voyaging full time. Just have to survive the rat race 10 more years. And the rat race is getting more and more depressing each year.
Would live aboard full time and save a bunch of money but wife won't go for it with 2 kids.
Old 11-02-2010, 21:29   #5

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
It may be difficult to get much in the way of mixed opinion from this pre selected group and I doubt that any scientific study has or could easily be done. I grant that the stress levels are likly to go down but there are many land based sinarios with low stress-like day sailing five or six times a week(my thing) and cruising a good part of the summer. The potential for a lack of adequate aerobic activity and fresh vegetable diet may also be difficult under some cruising conditions. Prompt high quality medical care may also be a problem. Too much sun exposure likely(sun is not what it used to be lots more radiation now). Higher risk of long term low level co exposure in some boats from exhaust and heaters. So I think its kind of a mixed bag depending on how its done not so much on doing it.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 22:44   #6

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
I am certain that from a stress point of view, the cruising lifestyle is more healthy. I doubt that a cruising lifestyle can provide the diet that is available to someone on land. But like Dave said, being outside of the smog filled metropolis areas is certainly a plus. I would be curious to see statistics about sick or unhealthy cruisers, against land lubbers that are unhealthy.
Spencer