Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 15:01   #91

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39
Re: Which is best boat for ocean passages?

On the other hand, that stretch of ocean between California and Hawaii during late June/July/early August is probably among the calmest ocean passages. Your problem is navigation - much more than the particular boat.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 15:24   #92

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Good you have focused on CC boats. I would definitely rule out the Hunter. Although built a bit better than the regular day sailing Hunters, It would be my very last option.

I’ve been through the same process last year, but for the Atlantic Ocean.

All the others are fine boats and each would have the usual pluses and minuses.

Of course there are many other factors, but if all the boats are of the same condition and working inventory (probably not, but just to create a reasonable denominator),

At the top of my list I would have the Moody - a fantastic boat by Bill Dixon, one of the best designers over the last 30 years and if a Marine Projects UK built - would be great.
A good Brewer would be #2 (but most of these are very old or kind of custom built...)
Freedom I think is only 45 at the CC design - but a great choice, especially as you can free yourself from the standing rigging concerns - BUT make sure you install two line based “soft” backstays you can attach and set the pressure. #3
Personally, I don’t like the Tayana designs in spite of the built strength. But if you like it and if in a good shape #4
Morgan #5
Beneteau 44CC a great boat and well designed Bruce Farr for a passage, BUT tankage is limited and in rough seas she may pound a little. - #6 - still a fine cruiser.

If the budget allows, look also for Hallberg Rassy 42-43, Contest 43 and Najad 44 - maybe also Amel. these are among the best cruisers out there.

Happy purchasing, refitting and cruising!

QUOTE=MultiCountryDon;2871913]Good Morning all,
We will leave in June doing a LA > south>tahiti> and beyond cruise.
Opinions please on which of the following is NOT suitable from sailors who have actually completed such passages in the last 15 years.
No need for sofa sailor opinions.
Moody 42CC, Fredom42CC, Hunter Passage 42/45, Morgan 45, Beneteau 44CC, Brewer 44CC, Tayana 42CC.

I know it's a long list but we are looking at these over the next 2 weeks, hoping to select, survey, and buy immediately. What do we remove from our list ?
Thanks,
Don[/QUOTE]
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 18:05   #93

Boat: Island Packet IP440 - Moondance

I would never go on an ocean passage on a Hunter or Beneteau. People do it, they are not built for the rough conditions one can encounter. They are coastal cruisers IMHO.
rhpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 18:36   #94

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

If you look at the entries in the ocean crossing rallies, Beneteau tops the list. That certainly doesn't make them the best boat, but most seem to make it to their destination.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 19:18   #95

A Beneteau is an inexpensive boat that certainly will cross oceans. Yes they have had structural failures and a few have sunk but by and large they usually get the job done. That also goes for all the other hi volume boats including Hunters. Frankly I don’t see much difference between Hunters and Beneteaus and others in the same class. They are all basically built the same with glued in plastic full liners and thin hulls to keep the weight down. The better and more costly boats are “stick built” meaning they are built completely different and much easier and cheaper to make repairs to should there ever be a need. Cruising and sailing offshore is no different than any other parts of our lives, simply put, there is no free lunch, you still get what you pay for.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 20:35   #96

Well June seems like a short time to learn to know even a well founded boat to take such a long voyage. Has it been done on short notice on a new to the person boat? Yes. But a shake down or two to test boat systems and sailing properties of the boat in various conditions would be something I would want to do as skipper on the boat with responsibilities for crew. Reefing the sails in a blow in seas might be worth doing at all reef points in the main. How well does rollerfurling work on headsails. Has the boat had multiple owners who tinkered with the electrical systems. Ie are there rats nest of wires somewhere on the boat. Use the windless on the boat given the size of the boat you are considering. Is the refrigeration reliable? How old is it? I have owner three boats. My current heavy displacement boat has a refer unit that was installed long befor I bought the boat in 2005. It works great. They dont make it any longer. But would hate to be stuck somewhere with a non functioning refer unit. I agree a gen set is not required but some form of solar or wind gen is important if you have a refer unit. Does the boat have enough solar? How would you know as the box may be poorly insulated.

As for boats. Given my experience offshore I prefer heavy displacement. So I like the tayana best but plenty of ocean crossings have been made on beneteau boats with modern hull designs. But have you tried to heave too in one? Yet another consideration for shake downs by the way. Again if you are solo and have no responsibility for anyone then no issue. But as skipper knowing how the boat will handle in various conditions is important. If nothing more to allow you to direct the crew on safe measures to handle the boat.
Finally I own a center cockpit blue water boat. Great for privacy. That said given the length you desire and sailing plans there are many heavy displacement aft cockpit boats I would consider. At 50 feet and beyond I think center cockpit boats mAke a good choice. In the mid 40 range I would rather a Hans christian 42,or something like that with an aft cabin for privacy. And with excellent sea going capability
seatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 20:36   #97

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I say any of those boats because you obviously have much to learn with such a silly time frame. Go to La Paz where you can either finish fitting it out while you are stuck there for years and maybe never go further because your grand kids start arriving and such. Most of the boats you mentioned are classed as Coastal Cruisers and for a reason. I have seen all those boats as I have cruised slowly to Australia. Whatever you do enjoy yourself and try to be safe.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 22:07   #98

Boat: Beneteau First 456, 14m

Re,,Which is the best boat for ocean passages.

Ask 50 sailers and you will get seventy different answers . It comes down to two main factors , a well proven design a well fitted out boat for your needs and comforts which you need. We have been living on board for fourteen years sailing to the Pacific Islands,Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia,Thailand, Philippines and Micronesia so you need a boat that is self sufficient in everything except for diesel. Our boat is regrettably for sale in New Zealand so you could start your sailing adventures here! I would be happy to help you familirise with the boat and even crew with you on your first passage. You will find our advert on page 9 under Beneteau 456 ocean going yacht for sale.
piedamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 04:52   #99

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So the Moody is a poor choice or a good one?
Its ok as long as it floats...what exactely you want to know?
Everybody has different likes and dislikes concerning boats...its realy for you to make a choice regarding whats suitable or not.
Seems to me you haven't much experience, you can ask 10 experienced sailors and you will get ten opinions.
Buying a vessel which is ready to go means nothing...you have to create your own requirements regarding so called suitable boats.
The smallest yacht I sailed across the Atlanic was 24ft...
My second boat was a 34ft steelboat which I sailed from Australia around the Horn.
Third boat was a Benetau 44..which lost its keel. Ouch
The best yacht IMHO was a custom built light displacement 47ft J. LIDGARD.( for my purpose suitable)
So what does it all mean? Probable very little concerning your question.
Now go and read the other nine opinions and try not too confused.
Happy cruising.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 09:59   #100

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbright1963 View Post
Sage words of wisdom: The plural of anecdotal is not statistic. All production boats from the 1980s forward are similarly constructed. Anecdotal evidence of cruisers in high-end boats who lost rudders during a crossing are quite easily found on YouTube. In practice, the conditions found in coastal cruising present much greater risk to vessel and crew than an ocean passage. In fact, inshore conditions are often more treacherous than offshore. Coincidentally, the sailing grounds in the Bahamas and most of the Caribbean are heaps more tricky than what is found at sea. The captain, the captain's preparation and choice of weather window are key to making a successful crossing. Buying a 40-year-old tank that is uncomfortable, yet deemed "bluewater capable" is no replacement for experience, planning and comfort. Buy the boat that is structurally sound, fits your sailing profile and provides for the needs of captain and crew. I didn't listen to couch brigade when I purchased our Hunter Legend 40. Three hurricanes later, she continues to serve us well as fulltime liveaboards. Charts, navigation equip, radio, epirb, liferaft, drogue, solar/generator, watermaker, working galley with refrigeration, weather gear">foul weather gear, good ground tackle and sails in good condition, not to mention a boat that has a favorable survey and a competent skipper can go anywhere in the world, regardless of brand.
Love my Legend 37.5. We've been all over and in rough stuff. Handles it well. Lighter than other boats in her class, so a bit tender, but the light and moderate wind performance keeps us sailing rather than steaming.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:01   #101

Hunter passage 42/45 420/450
Morgan Nelson Marek 454
Gulfstar sailmaster 40/47/50
Endeavour 42
Morgan 43.

I like Hunters, well built for less money. The people on here bash em and drive the price down. Yet most have never sailed in one. All above have nice layouts. No matter what boat you choose, its about your ability, and how the boat is equiped and how much you can spend for what you want. Get a survey on the boat you like and check everything. One person crossed the alantic in a 18ft hobiecat. He did lots of planning, preparation, and was very skilled with a little luck.
Me? The Hunter 450 passage is my pick. Fast, roomy, well built.
QuentinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 02:44   #102

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

Unfortunately when you get to the south seas you will see the modern cruisers preferance and begin to wish you had a Catamaran and all its space and flat sailing stability.

You could also have the benefits of the safety of positive bouyancy something none of the vessels of your choice could boast.
You could venture out in short time if you are confident in the basics .
Hull integrity.

Sails and rigging .
Engines and Fuel.
Electronics etc.
Good luck and safe passage
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 04:53   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Unfortunately when you get to the south seas you will see the modern cruisers preferance and begin to wish you had a Catamaran and all its space and flat sailing stability.

You could also have the benefits of the safety of positive bouyancy something none of the vessels of your choice could boast.
You could venture out in short time if you are confident in the basics .
Hull integrity.

Sails and rigging .
Engines and Fuel.
Electronics etc.
Good luck and safe passage
Owning and sailing a Cat is a completely different experience than a monohull. To begin with price and ownership costs are quite different as well as the sailing experience. There is also the challenge of finding dock space in many countries where you can store them. Personally I prefer sailing monohulls but that’s just me, I like the windward performance. When at anchor nothing beats a Cat as the living space is amazing. Cats are a great option for those that can write the cheque.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 06:11   #104

You can never prepare for the unknown. You have to have enough knowledge, equipment and spare parts to cope with what comes up. You have to know that pushing the limits will kill you. If you hull/ decks/ rig/ engine and prop/ tanks/ and supplies are more than adequate, you will do fine if you are equipped to fix things. Of course, you have to be a great DIY guy to be a sailor. No amount of fussing will achieve perfection. Things break, even new things. Among the most critical things you have to have are adequate water stores and overhaul manuals for your equipment. You can go 30 days without food but water is absolutely essential. Never depend on water makers. They are OK and convenient but, like all things, they obey Murphy's Law: Whatever can break will break (at the time and in the manner that will do the most damage.) As you know, Murphy's Law was invented to apply to boats. Lastly, never hesitate to return to you last port if things look risky - bold sailors are often found in Davy Jones Locker.
lituya1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 07:20   #105

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcharm View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned prior but perhaps a good shortcut wold be to find a boat just in from long passages for sale. It would seem that it would be well kitted to passage making with perhaps just a few items to fix/update.
Any boat in from long passages is going to need more than few items to fix/update. Take my word for it. Just a simple example, you may need to buy one or more sails.

The boat you want to find is one that is really well-equipped for long distance sailing but never used for it because of health issues or whatever. They are not common but do exist.

Tags
boat, passage