Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 20:30   #16

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Why is this thread posted two separate times?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:09   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Which Boat would you take if Both were Free to You?

Three separate times, actually. I asked that on one of them - no answer yet.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 08:56   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To the OP:

Sail both of them upwind in 25 knots breeze; then decide. Some people's bodies don't like the "twitchiness" of catamaran motion. Other people find them far more comfortable than monos, and especially at anchor. The heel angle of a mono actually helps me cope with jerky motion. No idea why, but that's how it is. Everybody's different, so you both need to experience the motion for yourselves. I'm sure Rohan meant well, but do check it out.

At one point, we almost bought a catamaran. One of the reasons we eventually decided agaist it was the fact that we had years and years experience in monos, and were concerned that we'd screw up on the steep part of the learning curve. I mention this, because your own experience as a sailor may have a bearing on the answer to your hypothetical question.

As it turns out, we are quite pleased with our mono, and for that, I am grateful. But this decision need not become the usual mono vs. cat chat. Personally, I think you can make this decision based on data that you can gain by a combination of research and experience. The question itself makes me wonder whether there is a basic conflict of interest with one of you wanting the Gemini, and the other, the IP. Data may help you reach a consensus. Plus, if that is the case, the one with the more knowledge and experience should make the choice, IMO.

Ann
Old 23-09-2013, 09:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: which boat would you take if both were free to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I would definitely avoid any marina charging just because of a type of boat that is dimensionally no different than another (and I have not heard of one).

Mark
Come to Europe...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 09:05   #20

Boat: Currently dreaming big

Island packet, just because there is a nice looking one docked a few berths away from me.
Old 19-11-2013, 22:07   #21

Boat: Gemini, 105m, 34'

I had been dreaming of buying a catamaran for years and if you believe everything written in these forums, you be a fool to get a Gemini. I had ruled them out completely. I am very new to sailing and do not have alot of experience to form an expert opinion. With budget and availability to consider, I did the foolish thing. I bought a repo Gemini. My wife and I have had the most amazing time with our boat. We bought it at the end of June and missed very few weekends since. We have lots of good memories and finaly have weekends to remember. Every boat has its shortcomings and perks. Educate yourself and then enjoy it.
wayne77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 22:21   #22

I'd take both, sell 'em and chuck the cash in the cruising kitty.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 23:35   #23

So who's giving these boats away?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 08:08   #24

Boat: Tayana 37

I'd go with the IP. More out of personal preference for a mono hull than anything though. If you're going to be tied up to the dock more than sailing though, the Gemini would certainly be more comfortable. Really, it all comes down to what boat you prefer. That's really the most important part.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 08:36   #25

For your stated area I might lean toward whichever is the shallowest draft. The cat might be more marina and maintenance cost though.
End ties may have a upcharge, taking two slips with a cat definitely has an up charge! But more often the issue may be slip availability for the wide beam.
For your area a cat would be more pleasant to be on for sure. Easier getting on and off the boat, large open cockpit. As Ann mentioned, the motion is different. I prefer the jerky cat motion to the slow roll/bruised hips of the mono my self. JMHO

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 15:57   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

My sense is that the IP is a higher quality build than the cat.

Thus I'd go with the IP.

At the last Annapolis boat show the Gemini was the one boat my Wife wanted to check out. We have two monos and she had previously liked the idea of the Gemini. Now we are weekend live aboards and she has some more experience.

When she got off I asked her opinion. "NA, don't like it."

Actually there is a newer one for sale at our marina, right next to us on the hard.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 13:33   #27

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

There are two versions of Gemini. One is beefed up for ocean sailing and one isn't. I knew a couple in St. Lucia who had the "wrong" kind and it broke in two (almost literally) and had to be scrapped after the passage from Chesapeake to the islands. You will pay less for the flimsier version but it isn't worth it.

As to your original question, I would get the IP without a doubt if you want to sail long ocean passages. If you are going to go up and down the ICW then why not the Gemini?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 13:37   #28
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
There are two versions of Gemini. One is beefed up for ocean sailing and one isn't. I knew a couple in St. Lucia who had the "wrong" kind and it broke in two (almost literally) and had to be scrapped after the passage from Chesapeake to the islands. You will pay less for the flimsier version but it isn't worth it.

As to your original question, I would get the IP without a doubt if you want to sail long ocean passages. If you are going to go up and down the ICW then why not the Gemini?
I am not aware of any ocean rated gemini....
In fact it is explicitly told to not use it in that way.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 13:57   #29

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I believe it is called a Gemini MC. I think they may all be that version now. I remember a story (perhaps true perhaps not) that the owner of Gemini was challenged to sail his own design on an ocean passage and beefed it up before being willing to do it. But there is no doubt about the one that fell apart in Rodney Bay - I saw it and talked to the owners - They got an insurance payment and a new boat (a mono) quicker than I would have thought possible.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 20:47   #30

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Because you asked a bad question you get bad answers. You should pick a boat for meaningful reasons. Sometimes those reasons mean something to the person making the selection but not to others. One of my main criteria for selecting one boat over another is matching the boat to the intended use. The IP and the particular cat you throw out for comparison are different enough to make a choice easy on many grounds. What you get when you ask questions like this one is a lot of biased opinions. What you need to do is develop your own biases then the selection will be easy. The boat has to meet your needs. Its obvious that a lot of people have picked one or the other since both boats are high volume production models there is no better or best other than in the eyes of the individuals who made the choice.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote