Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 18:54   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Where'd everybody go

Hey whats the story guy's. Ya all out enjoying warmer weather Huh? It's got real quite here on the BB. Just because you lot can go outside a play now, doesn't mean ya'all can stop postin. What's happening? I want to hear about all the gettin ready for sailing season stuff.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 19:24   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Out sailing

Last Sunday I was out on a Hobie 33 racing, Monday I was out of town working, Tuesday evening I was at the Yacht Club for a sailing fleet meeting, Wednesday evening I was out in my own boat racing. Sometime during the last few days I have been discussing the marker buoys and getting gear ready to go on the committee boat. In between I have been working at my regular job. Next Sunday I will scrub the deck and contemplate the starter motor which is getting tired. The new geared folding prop seems to have less drag than the old non geared folding prop.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:32   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I/ve been cleaning up my little 23' getting it ready for a SALE. Have too many projects and need to down size.

But was considering chartering a boat for a while http://ships.bouwman.com/Octopus.html

Just kidding it takes too much fuel. One tank full would break me......................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So what do you do with all that spare time Mike
Hey Del, thats a pretty we boat. Unusual bow. Almost a clipper style bow on a trailer sailor. As for the fuel on that other thing, Mate, if you could afford the fuel to fill her, even just the one tank, can I somehow get adopted by you.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:04   #5

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Lets see, we have helped at two boat launches, readied our boat to sail away on Sunday. Arranged to have the car moved. Visited various elderly parents.
Showed a couple of people the boat we have for sale. Boy I wish someone would buy her.
This phone gets disconnected today, so will have to check in from work. It feels like we have been busy.
Cheers
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 19:44   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
I now have a job that means I am only home at the weekend, so dont get the time to devote to the forums anymore (
Boat has just got back into the water, so I will have even less!
I will pop in occasionally just to stay in touch.

Hope you all have a great summer on the water!
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 00:12   #7

I figuered that due to the lack of replies to my bragging about my boat meant nobodie whanted to talk to me Actually just like everyone else, work work work, got to build that kitty!!!
Cheers
D
Old 07-05-2005, 01:25   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I got a job also.

Been fairly busy with the new job and the old boat.

Would love to just hang out and chat, but that would cut into my beer time.

Therefore laying low in the terrain and going easy on the internet.

All is well however...
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:55   #9

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
All's well with us too. Are we the only ones that have actually been boating?? We've been moving Heart of Gold! back to lake Michigan for the summer. Got as far as Hoppies on the Mississippi and had to leave her there for a couple of weeks while we get both the kids checked out of college for the summer. No pictures yet, only the log

Greg
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 21:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey everybody, what's with the use of that dirty four letter word "Jobs" I thought as cruisers, everyone would be trying to sidestep that activity.
Hey Greg, whats the trip up through the Mississippi like? I have a freind (commadore of our club) going to be doing a delivery trip through via that way sometime in our winter(your summer). I reckon it would have to be a fantastic way of seeing your country.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:17   #11
cruiser

Unhappy Four Letter Words...

I'm also working 60-70 hrs a week.... trying to muster up the cash to buy a boat this summer.

Anybody seen any 36-45ft steel bluewater capable pilothouse boats around for $50K?

No? Guess it's the Morgan Out Island for us then...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:57   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How far south do ya wanna look Sean. There are a couple down this way, but it'll take a little more than a weekend car trip to come take a look. The Salt waters hell on the tyres

Old 08-05-2005, 11:47   #13

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
It's all very scenic as you can see from our logs. Once we turned from the Ohio (downstream) to the Mississippi (upstream) we lost 5 kts due to the current. We also began to play dodg'em with everything you can imagine. We've always found that on our trip that 240 some miles going up the Miss from the Ohio to the Illinois is the roughest part of the trip. However, few people get to see the St. Louis arch from this vantage point. And then there's Hoppies Marina, that place will go down in History for sure. It's a wonderful trip.

Greg
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 00:04   #14
cruiser

Hi Alan,

I had thought about purchasing in NZ or AU since I saw so many great boats in that neck of the woods. Only trouble is... how much would I have to pay to get it back to the states?

Unfotunately, we have to live aboard our vessel for the next couple years while still working corporate to build the cruising kitty.

You certainly do have a great selection of steel boats down you way!

Sean

Quote:
Alan Wheeler once whispered in the wind:
How far south do ya wanna look Sean. There are a couple down this way, but it'll take a little more than a weekend car trip to come take a look. The Salt waters hell on the tyres
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 06:38   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well you could do it all backwards. Buy a boat down here. Move down here and start your cruising life from NZ. Work down here and build up the kitty. I don't know what visitors are allowed to do work wise here, but I don't think it is as difficult to get work permits here as other countries. Where I live, they are crying out for people to work in food proccessing factories, Mussel processing and Vinyards. Big big need for vinyard workers.
Just a thought.
Otherwise, buying a vessel and getting back to your neck of the woods, well you could try a container ship. I have heard of some cruisers that could not get insurance for ocean passages and have shiped their boat onto the next country. So it surely can't be that expensive to do. Orrr, a delivery skipper and crew. But I think they are expensive. Orrr, you fly here and we sail her back and you fly me home Weeelll, it was worth a try