Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 08:03   #1

Where to Charter in August September October 2019

I'm finishing a big project at work in June. Sticking around in July to make sure everything is kosher. That leaves me open to do a charter sometime in August, September or October. Maybe November or December, but trying to avoid holiday pricing.

Does you guys have a suggestion on where to charter for a week or so? Or maybe a flotilla?

My background info:
I've taken ASA 101, 103 and 104.
I've taken a docking class.
I am part owner of a 30' Albin Ballad on Lake Travis in Austin, TX

I'm able to go almost anywhere. But weighing plane fair and cost of chartering will be part of the equation.

This is a stepping stone learning event as well as finally getting da eff out of town. A flotilla seems like a great way to learn, even sharing a boat with another couple.

Thanks in advance for any input.
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 08:43   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Where to Charter in August September October 2019

What do you like? Lonely anchorages? Party towns? Hot sunny beaches? Cool misty mornings in the mountains?

I can't help you with the beaches but I am partial to my home turf (the PNW). Make your way from the Gulf Islands up to Desolation Sound or beyond in the late season (September) and you will be treated to spectacular scenery, isolated anchorages and even some great sailing. If you don't mind a bit of rain and coolness you can keep going well into December.
Old 30-01-2019, 08:52   #3

It's not clear how comfortable you are in 20+ kt winds. Being from the Houston area, I know Lake Travis can get windy, so you may have quite a bit of higher wind sailing. I also don't know about your crews' capabilities.

But... I was in a similar situation as you seven years ago and we decided to sail the BVIs and loved it. The primary reasons for selecting this area were it's easy sailing and my "crew" had never really sailed.

The BVIs is like sailing Lake Travis. There's no real navigation issues, even if going to Anegada, the winds are generally predictable (though you need to watch for the squalls that come up), the water is warm during those times, if you plan ahead there are lot's of boat options (and many are very new because of Irma), the area is very well charted, there are a lot of places to go and things to see and the charter companies are used to people who are "new" or "newish".

The first time we went in October. Last year, because of timing, we went in December (water was a little cool for us Texans). This year we're going again in Oct (10th-20th).

Also, depending on your budget, I recommend AC/Gen set on your boat. In December, this was not necessary because it's not as hot and there are fewer night time rain showers.

The only downside (to us) is getting from St. Thomas to Tortola and back. If you use a water taxi (as we did last year), it's expensive. If you use the taxi/ferry method, it's time consuming and schedules can be sketchy. A third option is private plane charter, which is only slightly more than a water taxi.

If you go when we are there or you want to visit more about our trips, send me a pm.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 10:00   #4

@Macblaze- I would LOVE to said the PNW. However, for my first foray, I think I'd like something a little more straight forward. From my limited understanding, there will be a lot of considerations like tide and I'm no sure what else. I think I'd like to work my way up to the PNW unless you think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

@leboyd- I thought is was hurricane season in the BVI around this time. I'll have to read up on it as I doubt you go down there for the hurricanes. Thanks for the tip. I'll be getting in touch with you for some more details.
Old 30-01-2019, 10:27   #5

It is hurricane season. However, there have only been 10 hurricanes that hit the BVIs in the last 30 years, including the two in 2017 and six in the 90s. Prior to 1989, it was nearly 30 years since the last one hit any of the BVI.

Travel insurance to at least cover the pre-paid cost of travel and the boat is a must. Your credit card may already provide this if paid on the card (ours does).

In 2017 we were schedule to sail out of St. Martin in Oct. Obviously, that did not happen. We redirected to Curacao and stayed in a villa. The insurance covered that cost.

We've been going to the Caribbean since 1990 in September or October. Even the storms in the 90s didn't affect us much. The only two years we had to change our destination was in 1995 (Luis and Marilyn) and 2017 (Irma and Maria).

To us, it's well worth the risk to be flexible. We're not party folks and prefer to go when the crowds are smaller.
Old 31-01-2019, 10:07   #6

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We just flat stay our of the Caribbean during hurricane season. Others ignore that, their choice, but the last two hurricanes in the BVI , Irma and Marie destroyed entire fleets of boats, homes, bars, businesses, roads, marinas restaurants, docks, beaches, communication, water supplies. electrical grid, etc.

For many years, the locals in the BVI have had a simple saying:

SEPTEMBER REMEMBER, OCTOBER ALL OVER. ( hurricane season generally ends in november, but that is up to the whims of mother nature )

Also, the bare boat charter companies have a neat deal...Aug, Sept. Oct...10 days for he price of 7 . Hmmmmmm, now why would they offer that deal ? That is to get people down there that usually would not go during hurricane season.

Roll the dice and take your chances.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where to go ? How about October bareboating, south of the Equator where the seasons are reversed. But, please do your own due dillegence, and investigate on your own.

like Tahiti. Sail Raiatea, Taha'a, Bora Bora, and Huahini. Also, look into , Australia , and sailing the Whitsunday Islands. ( 10 days to two weeks if you can swing it. )

Hopefully, you have had coastal piloting and navigation, and will pick up cruising guides for where ever you plan to sail.

If Tahiti,,, TIP. Also, study and restudy their navaids....they are quite different, and will keep you off the reefs .

We a have sailed Tahiti four times, and Australia twice....NO GPS, back then, we used paper charts, and coastal navigation skills. Plus , cruising guides, and eye ball navigation. We put everything in to our favor. We would add in, GPS, now, but not rely on just one method of navigation.

Never had a problem, but we were highly alert, and learned as much about where we were going to be sailing as possible, before we even left to fly across the pond.

Those are long flights, and long travel times to get there, so two weeks or more would be a good plan.

The BVI, also have what they call the Christmas winds. We like to go to the BVI in may, before hurricane season and the kids get out of school. Good real sailing winds, NE, or SE. 12 to 20 mph.

Or you can roll the dice , and sail the caribbean during hurricane season. I would think that one time of challenging 180 to 220 mph winds, plus the spin off tornados would make an impression on us.

However, we have friends and acquaintances, who take advantage of the 10 for 7 deals during hurricane season in the caribbean.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 11:02   #7

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschaefer4 View Post
@Macblaze- I would LOVE to said the PNW. However, for my first foray, I think I'd like something a little more straight forward. From my limited understanding, there will be a lot of considerations like tide and I'm no sure what else. I think I'd like to work my way up to the PNW unless you think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.
I guess it depends on what you've learned so far. No matter where you go I think a Coastal Navigation course is not a bad idea, or at least reading a book or two. I learned to cruise with tides so I can''t imagine anything else. We do have a few tidal rapids you need to time right but between the apps and the books its not that big a deal. So...mountain out of a mole hill? Maybe its more of a steep incline
Old 31-01-2019, 11:08   #8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nds_hurricanes

Accordingly, it shows 6 hurricanes in Sept or Oct over the last 120 years. That's 1 every 20 years for a hurricane to hit one of the BVI islands, whether large or small. I realize "rolling the dice" is a figure of speech, but 1 in 6 is significantly more than 1 in 20.

fschaefer5 lives in Dallas (or the area). https://www.tornadoalleyarmor.com/lo...-tornado-facts

Over 67 years there have been 82 reported tornadoes in Dallas County. Tornadoes are in themselves small, but the storms that produce them are generally large and often cause damage well away from a tornado.

That's not to equate a hurricane with a tornado, especially one as powerful and large as Irma. And as I said, we've had to be flexible moving our trips twice in the last 30 years. Life's not laid out for us and we take risks everyday. That's why all sailors should have a plan B, C and maybe more.
Old 31-01-2019, 11:12   #9

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Have you ever considered the Azore Islands? We had a very successful charter there last year. Very economical and beautiful sites.

https://www.puresailazores.com/
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:16   #10

Boat: Boatless

Charter out of Newport, RI in September. Sail to Block Island, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. The crowds have gone and it to die for.,.so wonderful,
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to Charter in August September October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Have you ever considered the Azore Islands? We had a very successful charter there last year. Very economical and beautiful sites.

https://www.puresailazores.com/
I will second this recommendation...
The Central group of Pico, Faial, San Jorge Terciera and Santa Cruz will keep you happy for a couple of weeks at least.. maybe even get in a trip to Flores which is gorgeous but a 24hr trip each way.. great if you like to sail.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 13:40   #12

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Lots of good PNW locations for a one week charter, and not that complicated. I'll echo MacBlaze - Sept is great, stay away from August - anchorages way too crowded.

You can charter out of Anacortes for the San Juans - I was there way too long ago to give advice but others may. You can charter out of Nanaimo or Sydney for Southern Gulf Islands in BC - Sydney is across the highway from the Victoria airport. My home turf is Desolation Sound in the northern Strait of Georgia and you can charter out of Comox on Vancouver Island or Lund on the mainland. Latter a bit more complicated to get to, but Comox has an international airport. Forget Vancouver imho - takes at least a day to get anywhere - not so good for a one week adventure.
Sounds like you've got more than enough sailing experience to handle any of these locations imo. Nanaimo south to Gulf Islands requires transiting one of two passses. Both are straight forward and its just a matter of timing them for the change of direction. My first charters ( and real sailing experience) were out of Sydney 35 years ago. You might have 1-2 knot currents - just enough to make you appreciate which way the tide floods and which way it ebbs. All charter boats would have a set of tide and current tables on board and they're quite easy to figure out. Desolation Sound has big tides( 16 ft range) but that's really just an anchoring issue - no real passes to transit. Again just need to determine which way the tide floods and ebbs - determines a slower or faster trip.

Enjoy whichever location you head to. Attached picture is from Prideaux Haven in Desolation Sound first week of October three years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150929_172253.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	184851  
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 13:44   #13

Boat: Beneteau 423

Consider New England. September is a wonderful time. Maine could be great as the water is warmish, though not swimmable. Rhode Island offers a lot as does Massachusetts in Buzzards Bay and the Cape. Long Island Sound and Shelter Island area too.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 14:49   #14

Guys,
As always, so many good suggestions and excellent info. We'll start going through these and narrow it down.

BVIs, AZORES, PNW, New England... so many places to consider. I LOVE it!
Old 31-01-2019, 15:29   #15

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44

+1 for San Juan Islands Washington
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter