Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 13:22   #1

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50
Where to buy a boat?...

I know this has been posted on Cruisers Forum before, but the last update was in 2008, and the world has changed since then...

Are there any known hotspots for buying a 40-47ft sailboat these days, as in maximizing quality for minimum dollars...

I'm a Canadian, and the CAD $ is terrible against USD. For arguments sake, lets just say I was looking north of the equator, on either side of the Atlantic...
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:47   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Where to buy a boat?...

Check if brexit makes any difference to your situation. UK has plenty of decent sh boats.

Another spot could be Venezuela. Buy today get one free tomorrow. However, it is a small market and you may have problems finding the exact model and color you like.

Otherwise it takes a major swig to make the game viable, given taxes, FX rates and travel/delivery costs.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:58   #3

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Maybe right in Canada?

There are massive lay offs in the mineral and oil extraction sectors, when people are losing their house's, their boats will likely be for sale as well. With the Canadian dollar worth so little, it won't have much buying power out side of the country.

By buying domestically you won't have to worry about import costs. If you can find something suitable on the West Coast, you won't have to worry about delivery costs either. The great lakes has lots of great old fresh water boats, but any savings might be eaten up in the delivery costs.

If you're going to buy outside of the country it might be worth waiting for the dollar to rebound, which it likely will when OPEC gets tired of losing money.

I'd start with your own back yard

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 15:38   #4

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50

Even though I am on the west coast, we are planning a year as liveaboards, likely on the East Coast, which is why I'm looking out that way. Yacht world never seems to have very many Canadian boats show up in the types I'm looking for! (Know any good Wauquiez 40+ft deals?... :-) )
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 07:38   #5

Boat: Amel Sharki 39

Greetings!
I have a 41' Amel Sharki for sale that has just been through an extensive refit. Quality off shore ketch, well thought of within the cruising community. She is currently on the hard in City Island NY. I was her Captain (and, of course primary maintenance man by default for 10 years. Her owner is battling some health issues and is interested in finding her a new owner. I'd be happy to provide you with info. Good Luck in your search.
Scott
Boatbum540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 07:58   #6

Never done it myself, but being UK based, I'm told that some of best prices can be found at "jumping off points" and "landfall" locations. Spain/Cape Verde/Caribbean etc. i.e They can no longer face the Atlantic or, having crossed the Atlantic, can't face the trip back, or onwards.

Another tip is to acquaint yourself with the local harbourmaster or the person in charge of collecting marina fees. Try to find out who's not paid/overdue. There could be a distressed sale.

Its a mercenary business, but the flip side is that you could be taking a problem off someones hands, such as a family who have lost a loved one who was the owner, and they just want shot of it.

Personally speaking; the Scandinavians take care of their boats. With so many islands, they need a boat just as much as a car.
subs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 08:25   #7

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

"Are there any known hotspots for buying a 40-47ft sailboat these days, as in maximizing quality for minimum dollars..."

If you're searching Yachtworld it shouldn't really matter. Don't limit your search by geographic location but rather by price first, construction material, age, builder, rig ect.

You can move the boat to your preferred location or have it delivered.

In short, in that you're Canadian, look first around the Great Lakes for a fresh water boat that is close to home. Next I would look around Vancouver, Sydney, Victoria.

I have had good luck by going farther afield as these boats tend to be better equipped.

Go where cruising dreams often end. Mexico, Hawaii, Trinidad, Nanny Cay.

Often times the scenario goes like this: a vessel gets laid up ashore for a season that stretches into years. If you can find one that hasn't been flooded with rain water or hollowed out by termites, you're golden. The problem with this scenario is that a neglected boat can harbor many unknowns especially within the engine which will be difficult to check out while she is on the hard.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:09   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun). My Canadian dollars won't go far elsewhere, so I'm looking only in Canada. The great lakes have lots of boats for sale, and good condition too...fresh water.

I may wait till the dollar goes back up...every decade or so it reaches par.

This isn't in Canada, but looks like a bargain:
1983 45ft Jeanneau Sunkiss Sailboat French Classic Offshore Cruiser | eBay
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 10:18   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to buy a boat?...

Check out the Greek Yacht sites... some fairly new stuff going at very reasonable prices

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 19:46   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
I know this has been posted on Cruisers Forum before, but the last update was in 2008, and the world has changed since then...

Are there any known hotspots for buying a 40-47ft sailboat these days, as in maximizing quality for minimum dollars...

I'm a Canadian, and the CAD $ is terrible against USD. For arguments sake, lets just say I was looking north of the equator, on either side of the Atlantic...
Did you consider used boats on the Great Lakes? no salt, easy use, short seasons. Most only go out on nice weekends. Lots of brokerages all around the lakes. Probably at least 40 boats in the lot in Muskegon. There are North Channel charters that must rotate their fleets from time to time. We also saw a few boats in North Channel marinas for sale.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote