Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 12:57   #46

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper
Re: Where in the World is the Best Boat Market?

A good magazine for sail and power in Great Lakes is Great Lakes Scuttlebutt at gretlakesscuttlebutt.com. I get mine in Florida at west Marine and is a free pick-up.

Another good Florida boatsales magazine is TheMariner.com a free mag with low shipping rates(is a every two week mag). Again free at West Marine in Florida, hope they can help.
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:09   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureWorld View Post
so heres one with 4 cabins 4 heads.. 120 hours on twin diesels (new 2011)
1993 Edel 43 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thoughts?
Also curious what people think of petrol engines/single engines on cats?
Interesting design - galley and saloon in the cockpit with just a canvas bimini over it . Guess that's why they repeat "day sailer" twice. I'd hate to be living aboard and cooking in bad weather let alone making a passage on it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 13:15   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/5252362680.html

Here's a mono we were looking at, maybe too small 41', 60k super decked out..
That looks like t would be worth an inspection. But it doesn't fit your 4 cabins. It's just one aft stateroom and two single V berths forrard.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 16:11   #49

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

We have a boat for sale in Langkawi, Malaysia about 125 nm south of Phuket, Thailand. It doesn't fit your requirements though. There are quite a few charter boats in this area that are for sale. I know of a 53' that is in good shape for coastal cruising but they are asking 150,000 for it. Look up Phuket Cruising Yacht Club on the internet and check out Brent's listings. Make an offer and remember no transportation fees(40,000 - 50,000 USD) from Florida.
Langkawi is a duty free island and a lot of boats are registered here because of that but it is not necessary.
There are lots of Americans here and some even fly their ensign but a lot have boats that are registered here instead and use it as a second home.
At Phuket Premier Boatyard I counted 51 mono hulls and 33 catamaran and multi hulls. There are plenty of catamarans around and for sale as well. They are used in charters and tour boats just like the monohulls.
Cliff
S/Y Icicle I
icicle1.com
Canuck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 17:56   #50

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

From my experience, it is one hell of a lot safer on an ocean passage than coastal cruising. Too many things to hit, hit you, and cause you heaps of havoc if you are close to land!
However, you must learn self sufficiency, navigation, mechanical skills and safe boat and sail handling before heading off across the ocean. You cannot just pull into a marina and call a mechanic! Best deals from what I understand are in Florida... Good luck! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 19:05   #51

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
we want to START in Thailand because we love it there. easy water, warm weather, we have resources and awesome local connections..

your answer....
"excellent deals to be had" "you can sets your sights pretty low"

ummmm what?

And what is wrong with the answer I gave? You seem to be throwing out the rebuttals pretty thick and fast for someone who has little experience, and what appears to be a somewhat flip attitude. Your sights are pretty low, frankly, as you stated you just want to cruise Thailand and your post no. 6 on this thread makes it pretty clear that you consider sailing long distances a boring waste of time: "but long open passages don't sound too fun.. and our time is worth something".

Sailing Malaysia/Thailand is easy, and you can set your sights low because of that. The advice I gave is perfectly in line with this. The others who have been advising buying elsewhere perhaps didn't read these early posts.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 19:14   #52

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
From my experience, it is one hell of a lot safer on an ocean passage than coastal cruising. Too many things to hit, hit you, and cause you heaps of havoc if you are close to land!
However, you must learn self sufficiency, navigation, mechanical skills and safe boat and sail handling before heading off across the ocean. You cannot just pull into a marina and call a mechanic! Best deals from what I understand are in Florida... Good luck! Phil
I agree, but to make it safe requires a lot of effort, preparation and organisation. The OP does not seem very interested in that.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 20:10   #53

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

If a Beneteau or Jeaneau appeal to you try Sunsail or The Moorings. I have seen great deals from them. Lots of delivery captains that don't cost that much.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 08:28   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The Great Lakes.

1) Fresh water means rust free boats.

2) Cdn dollar gives you a 30% discount on all boats (compared to US dollars).

3) This area was a hub for boat manufacturing in the 70's, so there are tons of well preserved examples here that have never seen salt water.

4) Winter means boats are only used 2 months of the year. Low hours on the diesels, little use of the sails, cushions, etc.

The Toronto area always seems to have bargains, especially the island yacht clubs (IYC, RCYC, Toronto Island Marina) which are relatively inaccessible to non members due to their location....just makes it very hard to sell a boat there. Also, east and west of toronto...whitby, port credit, humber bay, hamilton, 50 point...all big marinas with very competitive used boat sales.

The US side of Lake Erie (Cleveland) has a very depressed economy, and very cheap boats. Although the boats are near Cleveland, its an easy canal ride to the Hudson river, NYC and the whole east coast.

I've seen some fantastic deals on big boats lately, and seriously considering one for myself. Niagara 35 for $20k, Whitby 42 $20k, etc. I recently sold my Pearson 30 for peanuts, and it was loaded.

Check these bargains out:

YOU CAN LIVE ON THIS BOAT | sailboats | Hamilton | Kijiji

40ft 1971 Morgan Yawl | sailboats | Markham / York Region | Kijiji

Islander P40 40' Racer / Cruiser for Sale | sailboats | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji

Beautiful Ericson 35 | sailboats | City of Toronto | Kijiji

CHESAPEAKE 32 | sailboats | Hamilton | Kijiji

Steel Sailboat (Bruce Roberts - Bermuda Sloop) 36' | sailboats | Hamilton | Kijiji

And lastly, I viewed this boat locally...its super clean and ready to sail. IMHO, they would take much less than the asking price...a great boat for almost nothing: Make me an offer!!! Drastically reduced!Captain moving west! | sailboats | Kingston | Kijiji

wow! those do look like some good deals!
AdventureWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 08:34   #55

Quote:
read some articles that agree with you..
but the Captain is not comfortable getting things started with passages..
Old 22-11-2015, 08:36   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Interesting design - galley and saloon in the cockpit with just a canvas bimini over it . Guess that's why they repeat "day sailer" twice. I'd hate to be living aboard and cooking in bad weather let alone making a passage on it.
ahh good point! that's a bad example.. but at the same time.. i'm talking to someone selling a running 92' 39' privilege for under 75k...
Old 22-11-2015, 12:41   #57

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It would be interesting to know where the best markets are for the buyer and the seller. A little boat arbitrage?
I've had great success in increasing the value of my boats, simply by moving them from Toronto to Kingston.

A couple hours cleaning also increases the value of a boat...and yet many people are quite reluctant to make this investment...at least the boats I've gone to see.

I also had tremendous success in finding crew this past summer with my boat for sale ad which stated "no serious buyers please". I think I'm the only guy who asked people to bring swimsuit and a bag lunch to view the boat, with full expectation to spend a few hours on the water, whether they liked the boat or not.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 12:50   #58

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Ocean passages are the apex of the "sport" of cruising/sailing. The destinations are the reward, but the fun is getting there. When was the last time you spent 3 weeks on your boat without any distractions?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 16:30   #59

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Feels a little like middle school here sometimes...

Have you chartered in Thailand yet? Spend some time aboard and it will help you set your priorities. You can charter both a mono and a cat and spend a couple of weeks doing recon for this new lifestyle. Can charter out of one base or try different cruising areas and figure out a plan.

I'd want a good marina to park the boat so I could spend time traveling inland. Have spent months in Vietnam, and some time in Cambodia and Thailand. Lots to see in Laos, Cambodia and well, all around there. Ya I'm always jealous of people with their boats in warm places, cruising, focused on very direct issues related to daily logistics, and best of all, lots of time with the people you love....

Don't get me wrong, I've done plenty of it, but bustin rocks for now, as I should be. One day we'll laze around Thai anchorages or I may go off on a dirt bike trip in Kampuchea. Also have friends living in different countries there and makes it fun place to visit.

I shopped for my exact boat for years, sailing another boat, enjoying it, but keeping an eye out. Finally found it in southwest FL for what it's worth.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 15:40   #60

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Croatia is a great place to purchase a sailboat. Mihael Primorac from Bach Yachting, based in Split is highly recommended. However the crossing to Thailand can carry a hefty price. You need passage equipment such as water maker, safety raft, a huge inventory of spare parts and equipment including the tools to undertake repairs. Add to this the wear and tear which include engine use, sails and rigging as well as the additional crew, provisioning and incremental costs and you are probably looking at a 20 to 40 thousand US dollars, which is what you would save in the more affluent sailing markets. So you are probably better buying in the area where you are planning to sail.
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote