Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 15:12   #16

Re: Where Can I Sail On a Traditional Old Sailboat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaunhe View Post
I seen on TV several years ago where you could pay X amount of dollars to become part of a crew on a antique sailboat
Not sure this will help with your quest, but I suspect what you may have seen on TV is a BBC series called “The Ship”. It’s a documentary about the adventures of a contemporary amateur crew sailing on a replica of the square-rigger Endeavour, Captain Cook’s famous ship. I remember seeing it either in late 2001, or maybe 2002. There was a dramatic episode where the crew was told of the 9/11 attacks. They were portrayed sitting on the deck making anguished satellite phone calls to their families. The boat is owned by the Australian Maritime Museum and is presently circumnavigating Australia.

If this sort of thing interests you, in the book “Blue Latitudes”, Tony Horwitz traces the adventures of Captain Cook on his voyages around the world. An early section in the book describes Tony’s experience of sailing on this very Endeavour replica as a deckhand. Pretty funny stuff…

“A deep apathy about personal hygiene had also set in. At one point I caught my reflection while polishing brass: three days’ scruff on my cheeks, lank hair, red eyes, tar-speckled chin. I looked like a street person, and behaved like one, too. Discovering a Vegemite-smeared crust in my pocket, stashed the day before while dashing from the galley to the deck, I bolted it without shame. During a rare slack moment between watches, I wrapped a rank shirt around my head and sprawled on the nearest patch of deck. At night it was all I could do to peel off two layers of socks.”
….

“At breakfast, half the members of mainmast stared greenly into their swaying porridge. The rest of us bantered with the obnoxious merriment of the spared. “Eat up,” Chris said to one of the stricken. “It’ll give you something to do back on deck. Two-six heave.” Todd pitched in with tales of epic vomiting from voyages past. “Someone spewed while aloft and the wind was blowing so hard it went horizontally,” he said. Another sailor, dangling from the topmost yard, daintily puked in her hat rather than shower those below. “Unfortunately, she dropped her hat on the way down.”
Adamante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat