Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 21:44   #16
Kai Nui

Stars are back, and working as they should. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 22:29   #17

I claim the fame to putting those 3 stars up there Kai!!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:01   #18

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Stars, Admins, Moderators and Cliques

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt lar
I think we are better off without them. They suggest rank. Who needs it ?
Larry
I think Larry is exactly right about this. Handing out special titles, and making a small platoon of system admins and moderators might be motivational for them, but for the standard user this site may become less than inviting. In the past, Gord was the basic peacekeeper (and provider of excellent resources while showing less than obvious biases). Today, it seems like half the board can edit my posts, but I have to ask permission after an hour...

Rank is an issue, since I like the idea of being able to freely disagree with some of the examples and advice offered, but that's difficult if there's such a large group of sys admins and moderators. Sailnet uses the same software as this site, but they've only implemented the reputation feature (as Gord recommended) and not all the stars, "Captain," and other distinguishing elements. Personally, I think ranking features can lead a site to being more of a clique, where there's quick responses but only from the same people who sometimes say the same things, over and over.

Thanks for the chance to comment, and thank you to Gord for his long-term, solid contributions to this site.

Jim H
Old 11-04-2006, 12:00   #19

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Stars

They can get rid of the stars after I hit 1000. I will continue to say what is on my mind, but I only address the issues and will not bad mouth or try and discredit anyone I disagree with. That way I do not run the risk of being moderated. As a back up I will claim advancing age is affecting my clarity of thinking. Pushing 60 is exercise enough. Sailing on the Laser 28 is giving me a weekly workout.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote