Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 10:49   #1

Where are all the newbie sailors?

I'm a new sailor (and a brand new member here) and I'm looking for a place in this forum that is dedicated to those of us who are beginners at this. It would be really useful to have a place to chat to those who are currently doing their RYA Day Skipper course, for example. I can't find a single community online that is for this purpose. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 14:24   #2

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Re: Where are all the newbie sailors?

They are here, lurking around, reading and absorbing all the information they can. There isn't a newbie category per se, but I can't think of a better place for a newbie to learn than this forum. There are a lot of great people on this forum who are happy to help a newbie. But read a bunch first and give some thought to the question you want to ask. If you ask, "how much does it cost to go cruising" you won't get much help, but you will certainly be entertained reading some of the many threads on this topic. I was a newbie (to cruising) 8 years ago and I read this forum extensively. As I gained knowledge and experience, I started posting questions, and even answering some! Use the search function to search for topics you are interested in. In particular, use the Google Custom Search window in the drop-down box. Try searching "newbie" or "RYA day skipper course" and see what you get.

Welcome!
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 16:05   #3

We are here. Always looking to share what we are learning. Just bought our first boat. Don't get it till next Feb but trying to learn as much as possible. Did our 7 day asa training last fall. Feel free to message me if you want to compare notes.
TXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 03:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dory.

Training, Licensing & Certification http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f112/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 04:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnewbie View Post
Did our 7 day asa training last fall.
Hi there! Since you did ASA I'm assuming that you trained in the US. I only just looked up the difference between the RYA Day Skipper course I did and Bareboat Chartering (is that the course you did?) This website has a comparison table: RYA or ASA course? What’s the difference?

What kind of boat did you get? Where will you be sailing?

We will primarily sail in the Mediterranean. We're starting with a flotilla in October in Fethiye, Turkey. Looks like a good spot for newbies.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 08:14   #6

Boat: Lagoon 421

Here! We did the ASA 101, 103, 104 and 114 (catamaran) in a week-long liveaboard course in Florida. Hope to be buying a cat in the fall! Sucking up all the knowledge I can from this forum while I put the land affairs in order. Happy to share!
nomadRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 08:19   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

Welcome aboard, newbie. We are all in the process of learning!
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 08:47   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Just ask away!

Sometimes members get short with folks that ask broad questions without having made any effort to look-up the answer with Google or a book. Didn't we learn in school that asking questions when we hadn't even attempted to do the reading or figure it out was embarrassing. But explain that you have looked and what is not clear to you, and you will get buried with answers!

Everyone here was a beginner and made beginner mistakes. We're here because we are still learning.
Old 13-05-2018, 09:47   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Dory! We were all newbies once. In the past the social groups here were a more active sub-set of users getting together to discuss various things. You might try a newbie social group along with a thread about the topic (like this one now!) that also serves to direct folks to the social group since many folks don't always know how to get to them. Once a member has joined a group then activity there will show up in their "user CP." Go to the "Community" pull down menu in the bar above and select "social groups." Good luck in all you future sailing adventures!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 11:24   #10

Boat: Better not mention, (it's a motorized sloep)

You are not alone,

Although sailing for more than 35 years just started getting certified, with RYA. Passed day skip. in feb planned YM offshore before end this year.

Btw with Jolly Parrot in Gib they are very very good and flexible.

Grtz Robert
robregje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 11:38   #11

Hi Dory. I did Competent Crew, Day Skipper and the theory. All good courses. But still did not feel capable at all to sail. Did some Flotellias and crewed a couple of times. Finally had to buy a boat to really start to get familiar with sailing. Learning all the time and I’m in my 70’s. Keeps the brain cells perculating. Good luck.
Marshall
Handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 20:04   #12

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
Hi there! Since you did ASA I'm assuming that you trained in the US. I only just looked up the difference between the RYA Day Skipper course I did and Bareboat Chartering (is that the course you did?) This website has a comparison table: RYA or ASA course? What’s the difference?

What kind of boat did you get? Where will you be sailing?

We will primarily sail in the Mediterranean. We're starting with a flotilla in October in Fethiye, Turkey. Looks like a good spot for newbies.
Fethiye a great place to start. Lots of different anchoring and mooring techniques required around there to learn from and a lovely place to sail (Bay of Islands).
Enjoy
TwT
Old 13-05-2018, 21:01   #13

Boat: Looking for a liveaboard

Dory aka OP, this is such a great question and I really appreciate it. I have been a long time lurker and finally logged to respond. We are in the process of purchasing a boat and thought that the best process would be to wait and take the classes on our own boat so that we a) get more familiar with our own boat and b) Admiral (wife) gets instruction on how to use the boat from someone much smarter than her first mate - which might ultimately help with the survival of the first-mate (me-husband).

I would love to hear feedback from nomadRD as to whether taking all of the course on a foreign boat vs taking them on the boat you own is of value. This might apply to you as well - do you take them now in the US or wait till you get your boat in Turkey?

This is a great forum and I really appreciate all of the input from all that contribute.
Dreaming2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 21:31   #14

Boat: Columbia 8.7

This newbie sailor makes a concerted effort to not post because I rarely have anything intelligent to say.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 22:05   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming2Sea View Post
Dory aka OP, this is such a great question and I really appreciate it. I have been a long time lurker and finally logged to respond. We are in the process of purchasing a boat and thought that the best process would be to wait and take the classes on our own boat so that we a) get more familiar with our own boat and b) Admiral (wife) gets instruction on how to use the boat from someone much smarter than her first mate - which might ultimately help with the survival of the first-mate (me-husband).

I would love to hear feedback from nomadRD as to whether taking all of the course on a foreign boat vs taking them on the boat you own is of value. This might apply to you as well - do you take them now in the US or wait till you get your boat in Turkey?

This is a great forum and I really appreciate all of the input from all that contribute.
Welcome aboard Dreaming! Send photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail