Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 15:35   #31
BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
..... mount a steel profile from the windlass-point at the bow down and back to the point where the bow flattening out horizontally and where the bow goes from being the bow to be the hull. Such a solution can at least prevent total destruction when hitting the container by the bow....Anyone with practical experience? ....
Gunnar,

A friend looked at mounting a strip on the bows of his Wharram Tiki Catamaran. He decided not to for amongst other reasons it could be a source of problems with regards to bonding security over time.

On the subject of containers. Last week about 100 containers washed off a vessel in the English Channel. It was well reported by Coastguards on VHF and Navtex.

There are a few stories in the books "Total Loss" and "Safety and Survival At Sea" about yachts that have hit objects. I certainly dont believe it to be a high risk.

There is also a very interesting video on U-Tube of a Dehler 31 GRP sloop sailing into lots of obstructions to test the strength. You should take a look if you need reasurance on the strength of GRP.
BO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 15:50   #32

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Considering the large number of stray logs up here in the PNW (there is a paper mill next door) I am surprised that that none of these power boats running at 20knots has ever hit one. Up in BC I have heard over the VHF warnings of stray logs and some marinas up there give away flags you can stick on a log and report.

They do. I was in the locks with a 35 that talked about two very expensive experiences before they decided to stop planing around at night.

Anybody remember "Flag a Snag"

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 16:04   #33

Laura Dekker hit something...

I have been following the weblog of Laura Dekker, the Dutch girl who is currently crossing the Atlantic in Guppy. On her log she said she hit something and said something about "spots" or something on the deck that matched her boat. Odd. Usually she makes sense but I think there is some fatigue showing since her radar alarm gives her only about 1 hour between alarms. I hope she is ok.

LauraDekker.nl de Jongste solozeiler ter wereld! -
beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 16:37   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Surviving collisions with containers or other flotsam big enough to sink your boat is sort of like the thread on how to stop pirates.....the answer to both is the same. Avoid where they are. As far as flotsam, that curtails your boating activity so much you might as well sell your boat. The ocean is a very large place, and it is a good idea to stay as far away from the shipping lanes as possible anyway.
Old 16-11-2010, 16:49   #35

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
a Dehler 31 GRP sloop sailing into lots of obstructions
That settles that. I'm never buying a used Dehler 31 ! No telling how it has been used.

-Sven

Tags
collision, security