Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2013, 20:02   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to leont
When to Buy a Used Sailboat

What is the best time to buy a used sailboat: spring - before boats are put in the water or fall - after the boats are ready for the winter storage? Of course in the the south it probably makes no difference.
leont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 20:42   #2

Re: When to buy a used sailboat

I have found that if a seller tries to sell their boat in the fall the price will be less.If the boat doesn't sell, the price goes up as they complete the commissioning. This is only true of places where people pull their boats and store them for the winter. As in NJ. There is no free lunch. ymmv
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 03:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
As Haw said there is no "better time". If the boat is on the hard you can look at the bottom without paying for a haul out. On the other hand if it is in the water, you can (with seller approval) raise the sails and run the engine, but to inspect the hull you need to pay to have it hauled.

IMHO- Depending on the age of the boat, seeing the boat in the water may have a slight advantage. A boat on the hard will not show her blisters. The first boat I almost bought had issues, the most troubling appeared when here keel cleared the water- she was severely blistered. The seller and broker both swore that they new nothing of it, although there had been a previous deal that "did not work out".

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 04:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When to buy a used sailboat

The fall and early winter are the best times as folk learn what they're gonna have to lay out on her over the winter ahead.. on the hard you can check the hull/rudder, run the engine and even hoist the sails if there's no wind... and they are cheaper generally..
Come Spring everyone bangs up the price and spec as they try to cash in...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:50   #5
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Boaty is so right on!

But just my realistic addendum of a variable in the equation, that there may never be a good time since it can take a year or more to find your perfect crow nest, and hence you have to act quickly if you find it. If that is in spring, well, so be it.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:59   #6

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Boaty is so right on!

But just my realistic addendum of a variable in the equation, that there may never be a good time since it can take a year or more to find your perfect crow nest, and hence you have to act quickly if you find it. If that is in spring, well, so be it.
Haven't seen you in a while Salty. Did you bring a note?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:07   #7

Re: When to Buy a Used Sailboat

winter in norther climes. people who are ready to sell dont want to store or pay moorage just to sell next summer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

The best time IMHO, is when you find the owner in some smoky bar, drunk as a skunk, and talking about how his ex doesn't understand him and is making him sell the boat via court agreement. Just get his name (and if possible his boat's name and location) . Go down and see the boat- if its what you want, offer half the price and wait for him to stop cursing....
Once he is sober you may have a boat...
Usually happens in winter up here.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:46   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

The best time to buy a boat is when you find one you like!!

All this spring/fall crap is about finding a deal instead of buying a boat. Everyone spends a lot of time trying to find a deal it makes me wonder why they even want something like a money pit (i.e. a boat). The best deal is to NOT buy a boat!
Old 17-02-2013, 18:01   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
One of the best windows of opportunity is right after the owner takes delivery on his next boat.

Please don't ask how I know this.
Old 19-02-2013, 10:12   #11

After winning the lottery, or getting a big inheritance, or marrying a Heinz, or selling your failing business to Al Jazeera at a big profit.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 10:30   #12

At least in the PNW, most boats from the 1980's and older are not selling - so I'd say anytime if that is a market you're considering. Of course there are a few exceptions to the rule but not many. We've noticed this and had a broker mention it last weekend. Some deals to be had on older boats provided you're up for the work of upgrading systems. But you'll never get out what you put in and resale or junking these boats continues to be a huge problem in BC anyway. People really are giving them away or leaving them to disintegrate in marinas...
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 12:27   #13

I agree with Bash couldn't agree more....
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 12:34   #14

Leont, when looking for a boat I can honestly say that the biggest eye opener you will have is the state of some of the boats and the price attached to them.. So see as many as you can and you will quickly find out what is a good buy and what is not..

Also forget the price tag, it's only worth what a buyer is willing to pay... happy hunting and will let you know how I get on lol :-)
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to leont

Martymcfly, I just started looking for a 1995+/- boat seriously and it is a bit of a shocker. It probably has something to do with emotional attachment when owners disregard market conditions. My 1st house was a fixer-upper; looking back, I should had paid a little more money and enjoyed a brand new house - once you start, every "fix" goes over the budget. The same with the boats. Still have about 6 months window, but started gravitate to newer boats.
leont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat