Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:54   #31

Boat: Sceptre 41
I heard of something called the "Joe Day Rig" for motor sailing. It involves setting a staysail when motoring but having the lead for that sail at the mast so that you can sheet it in tight. This allows the fronts'l (a technical term) to be sheeted in closer to the wind. I've heard it was pretty good way to go but have no experience. Has anyone else heard or tried this?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 15:19   #32

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I do it the opposite. I use the sails and turn on the diesel only when I need/want to go faster than sails alone will provide. sounds like you motor first and sail second? Huh? I must assume that you've got a sailboat that motors better than it sails...
I'm taking my first trip down the ICW in a new(to me) boat, so I'm pretty much motoring. I have sailed where I could when in open water and I can say for certain that it sails better than it motors. It's been a somewhat stressful trip at times and for restricted waters, the motor suits me just fine for now.

The worst part about leaving so late is favorable sailing winds are from the north and its cold and very windy and I don't feels like sailing. Warm southerly winds are in my face and I don't feel like beating in to the wind all day. Plus, putting miles under the keel was priority one until it started getting warmer.

Now that I'm in FL, I'll be sailing alot more.
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 17:06   #33

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
At the end of a recent 1900 nm trip which had time constraints my motors had an extra 230 hrs mainly through no wind. I hate the constant drone of motors especially when sleeping off watch
cheers STEVE
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote