Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2021, 01:12   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
When can you rename a boat?

Bought a new boat. Coast Guard documentation is in the works with the new name. When can I put the new name on the hull? After the paperwork comes back? Anytime I feel like it? When I pour one for Poseidon?
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 04:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: When can you rename a boat?

Prior to renaming a boat, you must dename her, but first you must remove all physical traces of the boat's old name. Take the old log book ashore, along with any other papers that bear the old name. Check for offending books and charts with the name inscribed. Be ruthless. Sand away the old name from the lifebuoys, transom, top-side, dinghy, and oars. Yes, sand it away. Painting over is not good enough. You're dealing with gods here, you understand, not mere dumb mortals. If the old name is carved or etched, try to remove it or, at the very minimum, fill it with putty and then paint over. And don't place the new name anywhere on the boat before the denaming ceremony is carried out. That's just tempting fate.

John Vigor's Denaming Ceremony

"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.

"Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE-oh-lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:

"We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

"Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known (_____), be struck and removed from your records.

"Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.

"In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.

In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea."

Christening Ceremony
After a boat is denamed, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:

"I name this ship ___________ and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 04:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

And, once you have finished reading Gord's excellent essay to the gods, do what you damn well please. The official name, paperwork, and paint will get straightened out in due time.
Old 25-11-2021, 09:08   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

A new boat by any other name is still a rose. Congratulations on your new boat.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 09:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I think you can rename a new boat, when you first put your signature on the down payment check...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 05:33   #6

Boat: C-26

I don't have that problem. 20 years ago, I bought a 20-year-old boat that had no name. Now, 20 years later, I'm still trying to come up with a name. I have always just referred to her as 'The Boat' or 'Das Boot'.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 05:41   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You bought a submarine?
Old 26-11-2021, 05:47   #8

Boat: C-26

<You bought a submarine?>

LOL
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 11:15   #9

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design

Once the renaming process is complete, is one able to return those documents marked with the old name?
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 11:36   #10
Marine Service Provider

The question was "when" not how. The answer is anytime you want. The how, USCG docs will walk you through the process if you read and understand the English language.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 12:06   #11

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
[B]Prior to renaming a boat, you must...
One additional note to this thorough and important ritual - also don't mention or even whisper the new name while onboard until the denaming process is done. THEY may not be there, but THEY hear you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
I don't have that problem. 20 years ago, I bought a 20-year-old boat that had no name. Now, 20 years later, I'm still trying to come up with a name. I have always just referred to her as 'The Boat' or 'Das Boot'.
Interesting. What do you say when you use your radio?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 15:05   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

I renamed my boat immediately and got rid of the pagan god it was named after. No pagan ritual...did that with my first boat over 30 years ago...no problema. Now, not buying a red boat and making sure all woman on board are topless...thats a different story.
Have fun
abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 15:06   #13

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
I don't believe that works so well on a Coast Guard documented vessel (unless you actually choose to name it "Das Boot")
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 18:54   #14

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

A boat I had - we named 'After You' which as I was then single - was a really good line when taking a young lady down to her. 'What's the boats name?'
"Gosh - amazing! It's named after you!"
'What - Helen?! That is just wonderful!'
It cleared the way ---
The dinghy was named 'After you Too!'
However - I digress. An Irish mate came up with a name I just had to have - Sirrosis - cirrossis - cirrhosis (took awhile to get the correct spelling - Cirrhosis of the River!
So - to change the name - we waited until we slipped her - then did it - so as to appease the Pagan Gods.
Many years of batchelor fun ---
However, when I sold it - the guys wife said she would not step foot inside a boat with that name - so back it went to After You - but - they did it whilst in the water and the Gods frowned upon this - so blew the motor up!
So - don't mess with the Gods!
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 21:11   #15

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
The question was "when" not how. The answer is anytime you want. The how, USCG docs will walk you through the process if you read and understand the English language.
Correct - the OP was asking about the bureaucratic process (I'm a Pom in Aus so don't really care about what the USCG requires and I only understand UK and Aus English). But my question, following GordMay's excellent post on the God-appeasement process, still stands - ie can paperwork marked with the "old" name be returned to the vessel once re-naming is complete. Maybe I should ask a nautical priest.
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat