Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 09:26   #16

Boat: Pearson
Re: What's the best 15 footers or less to learn on?

American 15,strong ,stable, fast, fun....
Old 31-07-2019, 09:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
Thanks. It's close to where I live too. I'm going to need something smaller due to I'll be storing it at a friends place and need easy trailering. I would get a 17 if I had more room, but going to have to go with a 15 or less, despite the loss in comfort.
sailingin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 09:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingin2019 View Post
Thanks. It's close to where I live too. I'm going to need something smaller due to I'll be storing it at a friends place and need easy trailering. I would get a 17 if I had more room, but going to have to go with a 15 or less, despite the loss in comfort.
maybe this one

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/...938821016.html
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 10:09   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-2

We "frostbite" (winter racing) in a JY15. Many guys in the fleet are over 6' tall (not me though), and find it reasonable. Very easy to trailer, rig, and launch. fairly stable for what it is. You WILL capsize, but you should experience that anyway. My granddaughter was fearful of capsizing, so I took her out and flipped it over on purpose when she was ready. Fear is gone. Easy boat to right.Yes, I have capsized the boat in Febuary. very refreshing to say the least!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 10:32   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I am similarly-sized and I appreciate the challenge of finding a small boat that will accommodate me and possibly a friend. I would avoid very low freeboard boats (Laser, Vanguard) even though they are more fun and nimble. One exception would be a Megabyte, which was designed to be more comfortable for larger adults than the similar-length boats. I had one and loved it.

Boats with deeper cockpits and greater beam are probably a smart move. On the West Coast we have the Lido 14, which is beamy and comfortable, although not my first choice. I like your choice of the Catalina, but if there was any chance of getting the larger 16.5, I would do it. I am looking at a Boston Whaler Harpoon right now for under $2000, and they are rugged (heavy) and beamy. And the Daysailer is a great choice; there are thousands of them in both the original and modern (self-bailing) models.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 12:33   #21

Boat: Hunter 170

The Hunter 146 is made of Luran, a plastic sheet molded. The issue is they crack. You do not want any with hull cracks.
The deck is made of the formed Luran a layer of foam and then a layer of fiberglass. The plastic cracks and the foam debonds from the plastic. The cracks, if not excessive, are quick and easy to fix with the MA300 glue. The debonding can be fix in a couple of ways.
If the price is right it could be fun.

When buying be aware that a non titled boat or trailer might be an issue. I would look into the effort required in your state to deal with that. Or just stay away from those boats.

You can get a Hobie mast float to prevent the boat from going fully over.

I found the Blue Book of Sailing helpful to read.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 14:20   #22

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

try a used CL 16 c/w centerboard , I'm 6'2'' 225 Lbs, You'll learn enough to sail any boat up to 40 feet.
Bill

Quote:
I'm new to sailing and took the US Sail Keel certification course and exam but I still need to hone my skills a lot.

There will be myself and my girlfriend in the boat and I'm big. 6'4 220 pds.
Also, not looking to have to wear a wetsuit everytime I sail or be hanging off the side of it.

I'm looking to spend less than $5,000 on a used one.
The boats I have in mind are:

Catalina Capri 14.2 with Jib
Vanguard 15
American 14.6
Hunter 146

Is the Hunter junk? I've read a lot of bad things about hunter but I'm not sure at this level of boat if they're quality matters as much except for resale value.

Any other recommendations?
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 16:09   #23

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

We love our C 14.2 (With a jib) I'm not familiar enough with the other models to comment.
Self bailing cockpits are a big plus. All the small boats can be splashy in the right conditions.
Centerboards, though less effecient, are easier to launch and beach than daggers.
The Catalina 14.2 has an open centerboard cavity. The board and hardware are accessible from the cockpit. Easy to clear a jam even on the water.
Parts are available from Catalina direct.

Try to get a test sail or at least sit in a prospect with the mast up and mainsail on.

Happy Hunting
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 16:27   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If the Daysailor is too big, have a look at an O'Day Osprey which is the DS's very similar little sister at just over 15 feet OAL. That's what i learned on, and it was an ideal boat for the purpose, very forgiving (as in we never once capsized it, even sailing in SF Bay as idiot novices), and plenty of fun for a beginner. I'm nowhere near as tall as you so can't comment on that aspect.

But as others have said, it doesn't matter too much which design you end up with, for they will all serve as learning platforms. Buying one that is a popular design locally is a good idea... means there are lots for sale nearby and that there will be a market when it is time to move up. In our case, bought the Osprey used for 1200 bucks, sailed her for 18 months, not adding anything of value, and then sold her for 1200. Pretty hard to beat!

Good luck, and whatever you buy, have a ball learning.

Jim
Old 31-07-2019, 20:51   #25

Try a sunfish. Super forgiving but excellent at skill development. Cheap too
Near2KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 14:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
Perfect. Close too. Trying to get a hold of him/her to go take a look. I'll have them mail you a commission check!
sailingin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 14:46   #27

Quote:
Perfect. Close too. Trying to get a hold of him/her to go take a look. I'll have them mail you a commission check!
I'm watching my local CL for similar, I'm close enough that new haven comes up as 'others close to you' when I've scrolled past all the local adds.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote