Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 21:15   #61

Re: What would you suggest for a learning boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
"That may be a good strategy to get my 1st mate involved, or may be a bad strategy which compels she who would druther just cook and sip frozen margaritas to actually learn to sail. This requires careful analysis." --Michaeloh59

Might encourage her a whole lot: it's gotta be more fun for the man if the lady is a willing participant, and contributing her share. [double meaning intended]

Ann
It would be nice if I had a boat that could be singlehanded yet also profits from, and profits a first mate. It would give her a reason to be on the boat and a role to learn.

Also plenty of ice and a blender would work.
Michaeloh59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 10:44   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I would start wi the club's locally. There are a number of boats that could work, but sailing something that has a local presence would be my first priority. If you want to branch out on your own I would recommend you to take a look at one of the RS (RS is the name of a manufacturer btw) line of boats. They will be at the top end of your budget, since you will be pretty locked into a newish boat but are worlds better sailers than a lot of older options. Option 2 would be a used Weta, these are small trimarans, so are far less likely to flip, they typically race with one, but sail with two.

On the inexpensive side you could look at a V-15, or similar two person dinghy. In this price range the trailer will cost as much as the boat, so there isn't much risk. A good version runs about $3k.

But I really think sailing whatever is sailed locally is the best option. At least until you understand why that boat is so popular in local waters. It also makes flipping the boat quick and easy if you decide to sell it, because there is an established market locally.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 11:00   #63

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I would start wi the club's locally. There are a number of boats that could work, but sailing something that has a local presence would be my first priority. If you want to branch out on your own I would recommend you to take a look at one of the RS (RS is the name of a manufacturer btw) line of boats. They will be at the top end of your budget, since you will be pretty locked into a newish boat but are worlds better sailers than a lot of older options. Option 2 would be a used Weta, these are small trimarans, so are far less likely to flip, they typically race with one, but sail with two.

On the inexpensive side you could look at a V-15, or similar two person dinghy. In this price range the trailer will cost as much as the boat, so there isn't much risk. A good version runs about $3k.

But I really think sailing whatever is sailed locally is the best option. At least until you understand why that boat is so popular in local waters. It also makes flipping the boat quick and easy if you decide to sell it, because there is an established market locally.

And we're back to....

Rent or volunteer crew on a few boats to learn what you really want.

Something as small as the Vagabond 14 can be single handed and yet benefits from having 2+ people to manage the sails and for "self mobile ballast"
Just having passengers move to the high side of the boat helps the boat....
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning