Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2019, 10:35   #46

Boat: Pearson
Re: What would you do? Go or No-Go?

I would buy a cheaper boat, 135-160 and go.
Old 21-03-2019, 10:40   #47

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Why not get a smaller boat like a Gemini? Fit's in a standard slip. good for the Bahamas/east coast, around $100,000. There's lot's to love.

As long as Obamacare was brought up here are the facts.
1.You can't be denied or cancelled for pre-existing conditions.
2.Children can stay on the policy until age 26.
3.No cap.
4. And more.

These items were regularly imposed or denied unfairly by the insurance companies before the ACA and now they have to provide these. Everyone in the US that has health insurance now has Obamacare so get used to it.

Yes but it’s no longer ObamaCare, big chunks have been removed so it’s a question of what benefits will be left before long.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 10:42   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTranscendence View Post
Adelie is absolutely right. Buy a 30-36 footer, good big anchor (Rocna), ground tackle, and a chartplotter and head away. Any other stuff is strictly speaking not necessary.
IMO you should be able to manhandle your boat alone in a dock and 42ft is too big for that.
Single handed my 36 ft Cascade was perfect, big enough to sail across the Atlantic and small enough to cut down on cost for everything.
Tiller by far the best option, less to break and easier to set up small autopilot.
If you can get a vessel with a windvane even better.
Again IMO go for something built in the 1970's, if still cruising must be good.
Everything is just harder to do with a bigger boat. It would be different if there were 2 of you, but even then starting off smaller is better. You can always sell if you spot a real dream boat when in the Caribbean.
Go and the sooner the better.
Everything is actually easier to do on a LARGER boat, I single hand our 62 all the time which is over 70ft in length overall with davits etc. It has more systems in place to make things easier. Having the OP buy something over 50 years old makes no sense at all unless he wants a money pit. He should buy a modern build less than 20 years old, plus... he wants a catamaran.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 10:44   #49
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I don't think that you would have asked that question on this forum if you were not looking for a "go" answer. But rushing out and buying a used catamaran might not be the way to go at all. There will always be other boats for sale. The hardest part will be making the transition to a more "nomadic" lifestyle. Once you do that, that beast of a catamaran would drag you down, you would have no clue what you are getting into. I would go the minimalist approach for a few years, become a sailor, get some experience on a smaller boat, one that you can easily handle yourself. Put that 200k in a high yield savings account (can now earn 2.4%, not a lot but completely safe), Add another thousand or more per month to that because you won't need $3200. to live like a king where you are going. Spend $15,000 on a boat that is already in "paradise", drop the other $5000. into improvements for the boat and have some adventures. Then in a few years, when the economy tanks, if you still want a catamaran, you would have, say $250,000, there will be more cats on the market, you would have sailing experience under your belt, be better funded, and probably have a better selection of boats to choose from. That's what I would do. Go right now, why wait? What is stopping you? Life is meant for living. Time's wasting , Your next post should be: I am out of here, gone sailing!
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 11:01   #50

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Don’t touch that boat whatever it is.
No boat is ready to go, that’s marketing.
42’ is too much boat to start. 30-37’ is a good range for a couple’s starter boat. Solo, 27-35’.
Get yourself a Cal34 or a Ranger33 with a tiller. Put a motor bracket on the stern and get a 6 or 9.9hp high thrust outboard for the dinghy that can also push the mothership if need be. Get a drifter but no other lightwind sails. Compass, depthsounder, GPS, chartplotter and some backup GPSs. No wind instruments, no network. Get 2 oversized tiller autopilots. Get extra anchors of a type other than whatever you have for the main anchor. If it doesn’t already have a windlass get a manual windlass.
Buy the boat in The North east or Virginia soon or by mid-summer at the latest.
Mid to late fall start down the ICW then sail into the Bahamas and south. Work your way back ahead of Hurricane season.
So for $15-25k you have a year’s experience on a boat, will have learned to sail somewhat, will have an idea whether the lifestyle suits you and will be able to resell the boat for a lot closer to what you paid for it now that you know what you really want in a boat.

If you are on the west coast let us know.
Great answer!!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 11:44   #51
cruiser

OP,

Keep in mind, many of the people on this forum advising you “to go now,” haven’t really gone anywhere themselves. They enjoy living vicariously through the stories told by others whilst seated on the safety of their land-based couch.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 12:06   #52
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1st View Post
I think this may be my first post starting a new thread. I'll try and keep it short.

Life changing events occurred. After 20 years, i was let go/laid with my current company. I have been looking and dreaming of getting away and sailing off for a very very long time. At this point, I really don't have to work, other than to maintain my lifestyle (I travel for fun every couple of months and party like a rock start.. ).

The time may be right?

I'm early 40's, found the dream boat that i want. And, I can pay cash (at a premium due to cashing in some funds early). I own houses and apartments on the side, which I will keep. I have no debt other than one loan for apartment complex.

The numbers rounded for ease:

It will just be me (but will have crew occasionally).
Starting in the Caribbean where the sale will occur.
Cost of boat- 200k (loaded and ready to go and i will cash in some equities at a premium)
Boat 42ft
My monthly income 4k
Monthly debt (child support) ~ 800.

My issue is I will have little left for my personal oh shiz fund. Maybe 20k depending upon how it shakes out for closing/ transaction costs.
I will leave myself little for retirement other than houses/apartments that I will be taking a monthly income from. And about an additional 120k in IRAs.

Last kicker-- I will have zero healthcare.....

Real life scenario I am running in my head.....

What would you do?
Some tough love.

You are obviously financially set and savvy but you don't seem to have any sailing/boating experience and someone who parties like a rock star appears to like only the good life and does not like to get his hands dirty. I'm concerned that you will quickly get board with this new life style after some reality exposure.

At your present age, your decision will most likely be a lifelong one. Some years away from the workplace sailing and then wanting to get back to work in a decent job after 50 is not a good bet. Additionally, a freak accident/illness and you could be quickly broke with medical costs.

Although you don't sound enthused about a job search (who does...it is the worst feeling in the world) suck it up and start looking. While getting a job is a full time job buy yourself a smaller boat, join a sailing group or club, and see if it is your cup of tea...you might get some job leads as well. They say it is easiest to get a job if you are already employed and your not so things might take some time. Use the sailing and the new friends as a break and take a look at all the boats you can to learn what is important and what isn't, everyone has an opinion.

If you don't land a job you like your at least getting sailing/boat ownership experience and preparing yourself for the next lifestyle change...you'll know when it is time.

I've been there. Good luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 12:07   #53

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Regarding healthcare, in the setting of an emergency, you can always get treatment in the emergency room even without insurance. You won't get turned away, and the hospital at that time will help you get medical assistance. You can also purchase catastrophic health insurance for relatively little for a hospitalization. Urgent clinics are everywhere for the minor stuff. Also, as a forty-year-old, you can do a few things to maximize your current health like don't smoke, limit alcohol use too small to moderate, eat a good diet, and sleep at least 7 hours per night. Throw in moderate exercise.

This has been my experience as a pulmonary and critical care physician over the years, and the last four things are supported by multiple trials.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 12:26   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What would you do? Go or No-Go?

You guys crack me up..
In 96 I was ready to sail South in a 23ftr.. shortly before I sailed I bumped into a great lady and we decided to go together.. until she loaded her stuff on the boat and the draft increased by 1.5inches..
We split the costs on a Westerly Longbow at £15000, sold my boat and sailed for the Med.. 4yrs of cruising with around 5K each in the kitty plus a season as a ski/jet ski, banana boat driver funding us..
Never starved or ran outa smokes and had a generally fun time..
Aint nothing certain once you cast off the lines although some like to believe so..
Its 50/50 whether you tie up at the other end.
If you wanna go.. Go..
Tornado's kill as many as hurricanes can.. or you could be shot at a nice safe concert..
Aint no protections or guarantees in life..
Get on with it..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 15:02   #55

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
OP,

Keep in mind, many of the people on this forum advising you “to go now,” haven’t really gone anywhere themselves. They enjoy living vicariously through the stories told by others whilst seated on the safety of their land-based couch.
Well, that's not me. I advise you to go now and give it a try in a basic tiller steered boat 30K max. Liability insurance only. Live simply, forget about being a rock star for the moment. For a challenge you could try and live on $1000 a month. Take some good books with you, hang out in quiet anchorages look up at the stars at night and be thankful that you are on this planet and maybe have many years left. I believe it will be life changing. Best wishes from Oz.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 15:06   #56

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Everything is actually easier to do on a LARGER boat, I single hand our 62 all the time which is over 70ft in length overall with davits etc. It has more systems in place to make things easier. Having the OP buy something over 50 years old makes no sense at all unless he wants a money pit. He should buy a modern build less than 20 years old, plus... he wants a catamaran.
Seriously!?

You are recommending to a guy that has never sailed and is trying to decide what to do to go out and buy a very expensive big boat that he wouldn't have a clue how to handle?

As far as your single handing, it seems in all your videos you have crew.

You must be talking single handing at your home dock in zero wind right?

On a 27' boat, just walking from end to end to secure dock lines makes it simpler. And as a beginner, if you run aground you can jump in the water and push it off, but I doubt you can do that on your boat.

Looks like you are telling the OP everything NOT TO DO!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 15:08   #57

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

He’s got experience. He did ASA104. That makes him offshore ready, right?
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 15:09   #58

Boat: Cal-40

Well since your asking....... to hell with all this security crap and bigger financial cushions. Shop around more for your boat. You can get some great vessels that can take you most anywhere for under 150,000. It’s a buyers market today. Grab this boat and go never looking back. Really, come out here. I did it and my only regret is I did not go earlier. One day your health shall fail, one day your money will be gone. But to have lived your dream, to have taken the chance when you could. There is a spot in the anchorage right here with YOUR name. It’s your turn so give yourself this gift and take it.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 15:23   #59

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you have to ask a bunch of strangers, your not ready..

Don't Go.!!!

Financially you've more than many who have 'Gone'..

Your boats to big, your experience to small else you'd have made a different choice..

An extra 5ft does not make the view any better nor does it win any bragging points these days.

Cruising aint a Rock Star life style, more the opposite so maybe leave it till you calm down.

I agree with all that Boatie has said. For once :P

The reality of the dream is very different than the dream itself. That is not to say it does not measure up. It’s just different. Unexpected challenges, costs, complexities, irritations and deprivations.

If you want to sail off in cool style, save you money and keep your nose to the grindstone for a few more years. If you’re focused on the experience and not the trappings then yes, maybe go.

When I shoved off I asked my kids about the idea expecting them to talk me out of it. Instead they were gung ho and thought it was as the best idea ever. But the anticipated flurry of visits are few and far between. Jobs, weather, dogs etc make opportunities sadly rare.

But $20k is not enough. You can spend that in a month at a boatyard fixing something very important that you and the surveyor missed. Poof, even if you’re helping with the work.
Old 21-03-2019, 15:24   #60

Boat: Volkscruiser

How about getting a vasectomy and a Better prenup first before you go cruising? For a guy in his early 40s you have acquired an impressive list of dependants and ex wives!
Considering you have at least another 40 years of life left I can see you ending up broke and living on some banger anchored up a creek.
Thomm225 you should know by now that Kenomac is a cross between Slocum and Superman and can easily handle a yacht us mere mortals would never go near without a crew. I agree, smaller is good for most of us while we are still learning.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote