Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 16:39   #31

Re: What would you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I'm aware of that, but I was in obvious trouble and they were on the scene. Could of had a really bad result with people hurt. I'm sure most rational people, especially fellow boaters would of made the exception, and lets not forget, yes we the tax payers do pay their salary. Just so you know I'm not some crybaby. I was knocked down a few times off cape fear when the **** hit the fan out of nowhere. Maydays all over the radio. I do realize they can't waste their time if some their boat is actually sinking. In this case they should of helped me.

You should have told them you had a half ton of blow on board. They would have got the vessel in😄

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:46   #32

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

My grandfather and half of my friends are cops. Both hands on the wheel at 12. I have always given and been respectful. Their are some bad ones ya know in all fields.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:50   #33

Yes Sir and No Sir is not an appropriate response to someone jumping in your boat, knocking your beer out of your hand and giving you some chickenscratch ticket - the appropriate response to that is videotaping and trying to get them to admit on tape they were being abusive just before you started videotaping -
"Why did you knock the beer out of my hand?" "What gives you the right to board my boat?" -and yes, I know the courts have allowed an entirely abusive (in most cases) exception to normal 4th amendment rights for boats because you can IN THEORY be bringing them in from out of the country - in fact of course, they know damn well in the majority of the cases, you left your berth for a daysail and they are abusing their legal authority and violating the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

I don't see any reason to co-operate with people who act that way.
boatbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:50   #34

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkangas View Post
You should have told them you had a half ton of blow on board. They would have got the vessel in😄

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thats exactly what I told my friend on the boat with me right after they pulled away LMAO I swear , how funny
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:51   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
My grandfather and half of my friends are cops. Both hands on the wheel at 12. I have always given and been respectful. Their are some bad ones ya know in all fields.
I believe this has run it's course. Have a great day/evening.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 17:30   #36

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Ought to be deep enough 3 miles out, if not burn it
That would be fun at night. Maybe get in some target practice while its still light.
But I don't know if I'd have the heart to scuttle someone eases boat.

Then again I see nothing wrong with salvaging useful items from a doomed vessel.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 18:47   #37

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

This is not a discussion about the CG. Stay on topic. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 21:40   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What you would do if encountering a dark, dismasted yacht at night? Exactly what the fb people did. No way to safely approach to see if someone is injured below. Standing by and sounding the horn was a good idea. Notifying the CG, as well.

Even in the daytime, unless it was really calm, could a two person crew deal with it at all. And frankly, one has no right to, either. I mean, really, you're going to (a) assume liability and (b) let go the rig without something in writing from the owner (s) of the boat? and then tow it where? where you have to pay to berth it, re-rig it? Nah, get real.

Unlit boats and containers are part of the dangers we accept when we go sailing.

Ann
Old 05-01-2016, 21:43   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Yes sir and no sir goes a long way.
If how you mean this is "be polite," then I agree. But honestly, as a septuagenarian, I will not Sir and Mam people under 30--my grandkids' ages. If they expect that, too bad, but I do think it an unrealistic expectation.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:28   #40

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
If how you mean this is "be polite," then I agree. But honestly, as a septuagenarian, I will not Sir and Mam people under 30--my grandkids' ages. If they expect that, too bad, but I do think it an unrealistic expectation.
Ann, I don't feel it has anything to do with age. It is more respect for the position not the age of the individual. An old Senior or Master Chief will address a Lt. as sir. I'll bet an ensign goes down hard? JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote