Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2021, 13:04   #256

Boat: Bateau FS17
Re: What was/is your bug out number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
thanks. I am sure that helped everyone
I apologize, that was a little aggressive. To be fair though, its no less helpful than pretending to be victim of fat shaming, when no one is fat shaming....

I hope to sail away @50 give or take a couple years depending on how long it takes me to build. Our son will be old enough to care for himself and if we are careful and lucky the finances will be ready as well. For me the goal is not an age or a budget, but when the boat will be finished, I have to work at the same time at getting all the other dimensions to fall into alignment with that goal.

Is that better?
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 12:35   #257

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Financial advice? Sure

I want to take advice from the guy who figured out how to step off the gerbil wheel, not the guy still on it. Because, a lot of people die while still on that wheel, while trying to figure how to get off.
Spot on!!

If you're stuck inside the sawdust lined cage with nobody to talk to or be inspired by other than other gerbils stuck on the same wheel - it seems impossible that there could be another way of thinking or acting.
"Why wouldn't we all run on this wheel... it's clearly the only way and not doing it is SCARY... what if the food pellets stopped coming?"

But once you're off the wheel and out of the cage you look around and realize that almost every gerbil you meet is roaming freely, seems insanely happy and can't even imagine (or remember) why anyone else is still inside the cage running on that evil wheel.

Then, as you ask each and every gerbil (over sundowners and while watching a sunset off the back of the boat) how they escaped, despite the fact they weren't millionaires and despite the fact they didn't wait until they were 80... all the answers are different. All the paths were different... but the one thing they all have in common is that they all at some point took the leap even thought they weren't yet sure it was "enough" (or in our case knowing for certain it wasn't enough).

It's not a question of whether to take advice from those of us who already bugged out or from those who are still working on a plan for freedom - just don't take advice from anybody who tells you it's not possible or that the ONLY way is to slave away on that damned wheel until you're too old to enjoy your life.

There are simply too many of us out here proving that it's not true.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 16:05   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
It's not a question of whether to take advice from those of us who already bugged out or from those who are still working on a plan for freedom - just don't take advice from anybody who tells you it's not possible or that the ONLY way is to slave away on that damned wheel until you're too old to enjoy your life.

If you're about to scale a mountain, you probably want to speak to the people who have scaled it before you to hear about their strategies that worked. You probably also want to speak to the people who have failed, both in attempting it and those who haven't been able to attempt it - not for advice on what to do, but to hear about what aspects blocked their way. A third group you should speak with and listen to are the other climbers who are preparing for the same journey. Sharing information and listening to their perspectives will help you have a fuller picture.

ONLY listening to people who were successful will leave you with dangerous blind spots. You should also listen to the pessimists - they may have hard-earned advice that's worth heeding.

If you're having sundowners ONLY with the successful folks, then of course you'll be blind to the causes of failure.

my 2 cents.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 17:26   #259
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

One could spend a lifetime preparing for a voyage at sea...

What I did to really get going was to make dang sure my boat was seaworthy and that I knew how to sail her alone if need be.

I then auctioned off my small business, sold my truck, paid the last month's house rent and moved aboard...

I stocked up on dry and perishable food and water made sure my sextant and charts etc were all in order, made sure that I would not set sail on a Friday, and loitered about for a week or so while my two young crew wound up their affairs, and one morning we quietly slipped away into the teeth of a heavy blow....!

But it was blowing our way and we had a rollicking first night.It was fun, scary, exhilarating and it was the start of a wonderful trip, easily the funnest days of my life!! Just "do it already!!"
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 20:39   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
ONLY listening to people who were successful will leave you with dangerous blind spots. You should also listen to the pessimists - they may have hard-earned advice that's worth heeding.

If you're having sundowners ONLY with the successful folks, then of course you'll be blind to the causes of failure.

my 2 cents.
I'm pretty sure you're looking at this a little too black and white.
Success rarely (if ever) occurs without failures along the way.

Talking to those who succeed almost never means "being blind to failures". Quite the contrary, it means talking to those who also failed, but rather than giving up persisted and figured out a way to move forward and succeed despite the mistakes and failures made along the way.

You can take advice from whoever you like (and I recommend taking it from as many sources as possible)... but I personally give very little weight to advice from those to either never tried or those who tried briefly, failed and gave up.

In my experience... those who succeed can usually speak to the same hurdles/failures as those who fail, but can also tell you how they also overcame them, which (at least to me) is far more beneficial.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:23   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
Spot on!!

If you're stuck inside the sawdust lined cage with nobody to talk to or be inspired by other than other gerbils stuck on the same wheel - it seems impossible that there could be another way of thinking or acting.
"Why wouldn't we all run on this wheel... it's clearly the only way and not doing it is SCARY... what if the food pellets stopped coming?"

But once you're off the wheel and out of the cage you look around and realize that almost every gerbil you meet is roaming freely, seems insanely happy and can't even imagine (or remember) why anyone else is still inside the cage running on that evil wheel.

Then, as you ask each and every gerbil (over sundowners and while watching a sunset off the back of the boat) how they escaped, despite the fact they weren't millionaires and despite the fact they didn't wait until they were 80... all the answers are different. All the paths were different... but the one thing they all have in common is that they all at some point took the leap even thought they weren't yet sure it was "enough" (or in our case knowing for certain it wasn't enough).

"Man saying thing cannot be done, should not interfere with man actually doing that thing." Old Chinese Proverb
Old 01-06-2021, 07:36   #262

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore64 View Post
I actually meant what level of savings, but didn’t say state that above.
Zero savings but I don't live in the states either. I'll get pension from two countries. From Norway I can apply starting now at 62 and from Finland three years from now.. The pension insurance companies have hundreds of billions or whatever but's not ear marked to individuals.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:40   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
"Man saying thing cannot be done, should not interfere with man actually doing that thing." Old Chinese Proverb
Hehehehe
Old 01-06-2021, 08:26   #264
CLOD

Boat: none

People make it too hard
Old 01-06-2021, 09:34   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
People make it too hard
Couldn't agree more!!

But look, I get it...
Truth is it's a terrifying proposition to make enormous change in your life, to give up a check that magically arrives every month (actually not so magic since you're trading a large percentage of your life for it), to learn to live in a way that seems completely unknown and (for some of us) throw in learning to sail and live aboard on top of it all.

I remember all of those fears very, very well before we took our first "leap", and the next one, and the next... but they get easier each time.

The simple fact is that everything is terrifying when you look at it in black and white, or when you imagine having to simply pick a date to make the entire process happen overnight as though a switch was flipped and you have no chance to go back or hit undo. If you sit at home and ask for advise on forums, hoping that one of the posts will magically provide the confidence or well-written path to your dreams it will NEVER be or appear any less tricky, less terrifying or seem any less impossible.

If you're one of those still at home and looking to make this change, yes... put a date on the calendar (in sharpie)... but if for some reason you can't actually go today/soon, then use whatever time you "have to be" where you are to take other steps toward the same goals before that date arrives.
They likely won't be perfect, but just take steps:
- Stop buying new things
- Start paying off debt
- Start saving money (cut back on the Starbuck, the gym memberships, gas, eating and drinking out, etc)
- Start selling/giving away your belongings
- Mix up you routines/habits
- Move into a smaller home (this one's BIG)
- Do it again (the goal being to eventually fit in an apartment as small/smaller than your planned boat (amazing how much that helps with all the items above), especially if you're a couple or family!
- Better yet; move into a van/RV, give up your address and start living nomadically (amazing how much this helps with almost ALL of the land to boat transitions).
- Sure, take sailing lessons if you live near water... why not?
- Better still, take a diesel engine maintenaince course, start learning navigation and weather... you'll likely spend far more time on all these things than actually sailing.
- Start only buying groceries once every couple of weeks, start forwarding your mail and only pick it up once a month, start cutting back your time sent online, your time watching tv and even time spent with friends (unless you're planning to take them all with you).
- Take chances
- Fail. Brush yourself off. Do it again.
- Start experimenting with other ways to make (or save) money on the side if there's a chance cash will be tight
- If you have a few years before you go - invest in things that will pay you monthly (rental properties, dividends, whatever works for you).

Just don't... sit and be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the pending change.

This lifestyle happens to involve a lot of change, movement, learning, and yes...uncomfort/unknown.
One of the best things you can do now is start mixing life up a bit... take steps now and make changes now so that when it comes time to step onto your boat there's very little actual change remaining - which only leaves room for the excitement (okay, and maybe a little fear, but that's just healthy)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:19   #266
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What was/is your bug out number?

Always been a Rolling Stone so never had that problem.. when I divorced in 1980 I left with a duffle bag of clothes strapped to the tank of my m'bike and rode 350 miles to the coast, got a job in a Disco tending bar and rented a bedsit.. just £200 in my pocket.
the past few years began in the UK 2008 when everything crashed and after 'settling up' I was left with £5000, I bought a 22ft Hurley for £2750, threw my belongings onboard and sailed for Portugal the last week of November non stop across the Channel and the Biscay to N Spain then on to Fig fa Foz where I made a fresh start and began delivering boats..
Things have a way of working out just fine..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 13:10   #267

Boat: Catalina 270LE, 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore64 View Post
My wife and I are currently part of the enslaved corporate army, but if the Silver Squeeze happens - not for long! Attachment 233287What was or is the number where you have said or will say it’s time to go sailing?
It used to be around $300K but I've increased it to $500K and I should be there or maybe even above by 48-52 years old. I'm also working on my degree for RN and probably NP after that so I'm kind of sticking it out to finish school and see how the work goes.

I'm looking at Lagoons 42'-45', 2018-2022 (purchasing around 2030). The goal is to sail a "Pacific Rim" hitting the points/edge of Central America, Galapagos, Vanuatu, Guam, Japan, Aleutians, Canada west coast, USA west coast. (starting and ending in California).
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 13:15   #268

Boat: Catalina 270LE, 27'
Lightbulb Re: What was/is your bug out number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandium View Post
That's obviously a nonsensical metric, but not surprising from someone who benefits the longer, and more, you save.

Spending 4% of portfolio per year, indefinitely, is correct but why would you need 25 times salary? That means you're spending every dollar, not saving a penny, so you'd never save up 25 times anything! You need 25 times your SPENDING, which hopefully is lower than your salary.. So if you save 20% of income you need 20x your salary etc. Of course you have to account for drop, or increase, in spending when you stop working. And mortgage payoff, social security etc.
What you need to do in this scenario evidently is find a minimum wage job that brings in $30K/year, then you can retire with less! (only $750K needed!)
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 15:39   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist View Post
It used to be around $300K but I've increased it to $500K and I should be there or maybe even above by 48-52 years old. I'm also working on my degree for RN and probably NP after that so I'm kind of sticking it out to finish school and see how the work goes.

I'm looking at Lagoons 42'-45', 2018-2022 (purchasing around 2030). The goal is to sail a "Pacific Rim" hitting the points/edge of Central America, Galapagos, Vanuatu, Guam, Japan, Aleutians, Canada west coast, USA west coast. (starting and ending in California).
Getting your RN will give you a lot of options because you can pretty easily work as a traveling nurse a few months out of the year, and don't need as much in your cruising kitty. Might need to get a couple year's experience first, but some places might take entry level traveling nurses. There's definitely a shortage and good pay for traveling nurses in the US.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote