Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2021, 13:35   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: What to do when someone is in your slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
So you and many others bring up a point that I’ll finally ask on, you all leave your dock lines (or some of them) in your slip? Do you single hand? I’ve always brought my lines with me on the current boat I sail.
I used to keep 2 sets of dock lines in my home slip. One, always on the dock and set up just right. Two, on the boat for use at transient docks.

The "permanent" dock lines were set up just right for single handed entry/exit.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 14:33   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I used to keep 2 sets of dock lines in my home slip. One, always on the dock and set up just right. Two, on the boat for use at transient docks.

The "permanent" dock lines were set up just right for single handed entry/exit.
I think I’m going to do something like that. Would be nice to be able to quickly tie her up. I already decided on getting the fast fender hooks for the new boat to speed that up and not have to teach anyone who joins me how to tie a proper knot (which usually never works).
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 17:59   #33

Quote:
I think I’m going to do something like that. Would be nice to be able to quickly tie her up. I already decided on getting the fast fender hooks for the new boat to speed that up and not have to teach anyone who joins me how to tie a proper knot (which usually never works).
Sure is handy.

Its amazing how many devices there are out there to avoid tying a simple clove hitch. Ive thought about packaging a clove hitch and selling it on line. "Quick, easy, adjustable!" is what they all pitch...yeah, just like a clove hitch!

Better yet, if feasible, just get set up well before you even enter the marina.
Old 02-06-2021, 18:35   #34

Quote:
So you and many others bring up a point that I’ll finally ask on, you all leave your dock lines (or some of them) in your slip? Do you single hand? I’ve always brought my lines with me on the current boat I sail.

I have always left my docklines behind and always have a complete set, both sides -breasts and springs and midships, with me. Acknowledged just a more-than-weekender, but still. I singlehand, so with all dock lines once set properly, I never get off the boat when docking. I use the midship spring to come in, and pick up the bow and stern lines with a boat hook. I find it much easier and a lot less work. I now have bullrails, so even more work would be involved.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 23:32   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I have always left my docklines behind and always have a complete set, both sides -breasts and springs and midships, with me. Acknowledged just a more-than-weekender, but still. I singlehand, so with all dock lines once set properly, I never get off the boat when docking. I use the midship spring to come in, and pick up the bow and stern lines with a boat hook. I find it much easier and a lot less work. I now have bullrails, so even more work would be involved.
I think I’ll plan for two sets. My wife is pushing me to single hand the boat but want to gain some experience first given it’s my first twin rudder. What’s the best approach for single handed? Come in, snag the stern line next to the helm and then work your way up with a hook and get her tied off?
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 21:17   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

First I'll answer your last question. Usually (sometimes depends on the boat), a spring line is all you will need. Once the spring is in place, you can use the engine if you have to, to get the rest of the lines. Practice with it. Just attach a single spring, and see what the boat will do.
We used to have a slip that was close to the bulkhead. We'd go sailing for the day, and come up to the slip and find a bay fisherman in a local tournament was parked in our slip. It's pretty much impossible for us to turn around at the point.

So, I made a sign: "A 20 TON sailboat lives here. If this slip is empty, we are out sailing. If you park here, we can't see you until the last second, and our 20 ton sailboat will unavoidably crush your boat. You will be responsible for the sinking of your boat, and you will be responsible for polishing out the minor scratches on ours."
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 22:29   #37

Another vote for initially using a spring line for single handed docking. If coming bow in, get the spring onto a midship cleat then turn the rudder as if to steer away from the spring line side and lock it there (if spring is on the port side then steer to starboard, or vice-versa). Then put engine in idle forward. The combination of the spring line and the boat laying up against the dock will hold the boat in place. You can then stroll around and attach the other dock lines at your liesure.

As posted above, you can also use the leverage of the spring line to maneuver the boat in the slip if needed to reach a dock line.
Old 03-06-2021, 22:55   #38
cruiser

Quote:
I think I’ll plan for two sets. My wife is pushing me to single hand the boat but want to gain some experience first given it’s my first twin rudder. What’s the best approach for single handed? Come in, snag the stern line next to the helm and then work your way up with a hook and get her tied off?
I worked in a royal Yacht Squadron for some years after cruising many years prior. My job was to take crews out to their vessels but also assist. That was the fun bit, lines around props, tow ins, storm preparation of unmanned vessels, etc.

I ain't fluent yet physics never changed.
When berthing, unless weather was rough as guts it was normally a one man job with extra hands just a bonus on the lines.
Normally the vessels could lose all momentum and just rest, ideally favouring rest against a finger using fenders to protect everything. truest line would be attached first; line highest to windward.

If a vessel was to be tied onto a fingerless dock, if someone on dock was present such made ease of climbing off and post haste line security.
The vessel would simply tie Bow line and immediately run out a windward spring line. As more vessels started to fill the community dock, they'd tie together and if needed extra spring lines or a nice thick one would compliment original line.

Fenders between.

On our large cockpit boat it was easier to run a long bowline stern, rest next to finger, get off and tie stern then swiftly grab loose line and fast walk that forward to tie off bow. Then spring to suit whilst fenders did their jobs.

Twin rudder reads interesting. Twin screws would be nice.
Generally we'd loose all our momentum if weather allowed.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 23:23   #39
cruiser

Just saying.
If I remember correctly we used a temporary line.
Attached to bow run out over rail and then aft over rail again and attached to finger side stern cleat or whatever that horn shape device is called.
Made life easy. Didn't matter if bow or stern was attached first and line was easily found to go attach the other one.

Temporary security allowing patience to undo and attach permanent lines. Nice and easy to find in the dark.

Happy Days

Bigger vessels with permanent berths sometimes spliced their length to suit directly through the berth cleats eyes. No one could walk off with them, they were well over sized for vessels, they'd simply gaff the lines and attach within seconds. Their spring line was probably run to where bow/stern line was for quick deployment.

Looking forward to a home soon. I'll be splicing thick line, doesn't walk away whilst out sailing. At worst is slime if blown into drink whilst out.
Old 04-06-2021, 00:23   #40
cruiser

Letterkenny.
Sir, I'm eager for experience also..

I'm in wait for purchase of a berth, I haven't a vessel. She'll come later and home I.

Every vessel is different, pictures for illustration.

With guests, insecure mates like to help but often lack sea sense.
With pictures below it might help make sense.

Imagine just the bow line. LoL the bowline the only requirement knot for some vessels to gain voyage as a mate.. no bowline, no ride. LoL I'm sidetracked.

I found a berth with a 200foot fairway and our dominant wind direction maybe 5degree off true onto finger side. I plan on taking mates joyriding.

Splicing eye of berth bollard will ensure line safety plus the ease of knowing line is correct length. Vessel end eye can simply loop vessels bow bollard. The pictured roller, a gunnel with an opening eye, whatever similar is perfect. Because load on vessels bollard remains flat, disabling lift, a simple spliced loop will hold. Even if my mates are as dumb as dog ship, all I'd have to do , without issue of haste, is to spring clip and allow line to follow a proper trace; or drop line into gunnel slot, or whatever similar.
That is security.

Although secure, knowing habits, I'd double up in weather..

Best bit is that it is a simple command to a mate. Pick up the line and place it over that bit. Then that longer line pick up and put it over this one back here. They'd probably enjoy helping if made simple and fun.
No length calculations required on their behalf.
Weather and absence brings extra lines if required but mates are well and truely gone by then.

Happy nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15986_alloy_bollard.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	239677   Click image for larger version

Name:	13430_ss_bowanchornose.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	239678  

Old 04-06-2021, 01:08   #41
cruiser

With all due respect..

If intentions are double ended eye lines for permanent slip..
Some captains found that when they reversed boat direction some lines were to short.
Eg. They might be bow in to point at wind but on guest weekends stern in for ease of passengers boarding.

Just an idea.. maybe calculations of lengths required for both and line assembled to each of the longer lengths. A simple piece of string could be spliced inside or outside of gunnel lengths to determine where to tie of when used as the shorter line length in slip.

If that didn't make sense, ask yet I won't reply. That's my best English, more than one other knows above paragraphs knowledge.
Simply making life easier.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:20   #42

Boat: Freedom 32

“ Occupying another person's slip may be a criminal trespass.“

In my case I would need to treat it as home invasion.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:59   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post

Problem solved:

Name:   descarga.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  9.6 KB
Old 06-06-2021, 01:42   #44

Quote:

lost for words... the magnitude of pettyness is beyond my comprehension

Quote:
the fancy new wakeboard boat and towed it out about a couple of hundred yards off the marina and then let the evening breeze drift it gently away from shore towards the north shore, which is about 28 miles distance.
And this is why America is the last place on earth I would ever live

What a pathetic childish story.

What about tow the wakeboard boat to the fueling station and tie it up there, or that slip or on the end your boat without blocking the channel for a while like grown up. Sheesh
GreenHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:46   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHeaven View Post
lost for words... the magnitude of pettyness is beyond my comprehension
And this is why America is the last place on earth I would ever live
What a pathetic childish story.
What about tow the wakeboard boat to the fueling station and tie it up there, or that slip or on the end your boat without blocking the channel for a while like grown up. Sheesh
I am with you on this, though my experience is that a majority of Americans, like people everywhere, are decent folk who would not condone that kind of behavior. I took some of the vandalism comments as meant in jest, and trust the posters would not actually follow through. I agree there were much more civil options available than to set the wakeboard adrift, options that might help the wakeboard owner learn from his mistake rather than just become more bitter about people in general.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote