Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2016, 07:25   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: What to do in case of a storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi Zeehag - I'm struggling with parts of this; 'once a cane grows'?
furycames are not born as furycames. they form and grow. i dono tunderstand what about this concept is strange to anyone.
there is a starting point for all canes. they grow from a lil tropical wave into a nice beautiful storm formation. in this process winds donot start out at 150 mph, but gradually build to that point and beyond. patricia packed winds clocked at 200 , steady and 250 mph gusts. this is not how they start, but how they are as they grow from a beginning formation with gradually increasing winds. yes they grow.
you might try following the storm chasers and watchers to see this. it is most obvious. first is an invest, then a depression then a ts then a cane. if this concept in not clear, please study storms. they ALL begin in same way.
in barra de navidad where i was for patricia, there are in general, forming winds. at cabo corrientes there is an occasional period of rapid intensification before the growing cane travels elsewhere, which is dependent on conditions for growth and tracking.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 07:38   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Yes, our rotation is opposite that of yours.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 07:50   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok, obviously I am not familiar with your terminology. I tried Googling it and came up blank. As for the cane.........
I am just struggling to understand; furycames I s'pose are hurricanes.
If I used my local terminology you would also struggle.
If I told you I went to the bioscope last night in my bakkie (& which can spin on a tikkie), stopped at the robots, found a hole in my takkies, had a lekker braai and a dop after I got back to my possie, and put a heap of washed brookies away .......... yeah you might just struggle as well. Altho' no one from my neck of the woods would bat an eyelid.
"i dono tunderstand what about this concept is strange"......well, to clarify, its the terminology I was trying to understand. As I have asked and got back more of the same I shall leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
furycames are not born as furycames. they form and grow. i dono tunderstand what about this concept is strange to anyone.
there is a starting point for all canes. they grow from a lil tropical wave into a nice beautiful storm formation. in this process winds donot start out at 150 mph, but gradually build to that point and beyond. patricia packed winds clocked at 200 , steady and 250 mph gusts. this is not how they start, but how they are as they grow from a beginning formation with gradually increasing winds. yes they grow.
you might try following the storm chasers and watchers to see this. it is most obvious. first is an invest, then a depression then a ts then a cane. if this concept in not clear, please study storms. they ALL begin in same way.
in barra de navidad where i was for patricia, there are in general, forming winds. at cabo corrientes there is an occasional period of rapid intensification before the growing cane travels elsewhere, which is dependent on conditions for growth and tracking.
Old 13-08-2016, 07:55   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bulawayo--substitute cyclonic event for canes

perhaps your rigidity will flex a tad to understand some. then go to storm 2k.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 07:56   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Yes, our rotation is opposite that of yours.
One of you is at the bottom of the earth. I can't figure out how that was established?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 13:23   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rigidity? Whats rigid trying to understand a posting? I write in plain English not riddles. You will obviously be surprised to know that this forum is not read just by people familiar with your parlance. I really struggle with your posts - Im not sure if you do this because English is not your first language (and in which case its fine) or whether you write this way because you consider it trendy. Either way its not easy to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
bulawayo--substitute cyclonic event for canes

perhaps your rigidity will flex a tad to understand some. then go to storm 2k.
Old 13-08-2016, 13:56   #37

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Bulawayo, over the years I've become rather adept at recognizing and scrolling right past those posts without having to read the first sentence.

Not worth it, considering the effort of attempting to translate. In my opinion of course.
Old 13-08-2016, 14:42   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cheers Four Winds - I think I shall adopt the same philosphy, that does make good sense. Fair winds.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Bulawayo, over the years I've become rather adept at recognizing and scrolling right past those posts without having to read the first sentence.

Not worth it, considering the effort of attempting to translate. In my opinion of course.
Old 13-08-2016, 14:54   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cadence - perhaps some clarification of subject matter; a cyclone spins to the left in the Southern Hemisphere whilst a hurricane spins to the right in the Northern Hemisphere.

Its main influence is the Coriolis effect / the earths rotation.

For information, I am from the Southern Hemisphere, but stay in warm waters, not quite at the bottom of the panet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
One of you is at the bottom of the earth. I can't figure out how that was established?
Old 13-08-2016, 15:15   #40

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Cadence - perhaps some clarification of subject matter; a cyclone spins to the left in the Southern Hemisphere whilst a hurricane spins to the right in the Northern Hemisphere.

Its main influence is the Coriolis effect / the earths rotation.

For information, I am from the Southern Hemisphere, but stay in warm waters, not quite at the bottom of the panet.
I know we go counterclockwise and you go clockwise. I was just jesting about what makes you the bottom of the earth. Which direction is up?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 15:17   #41

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Actually, in the northern hemisphere, low-pressure systems rotate counter-clockwise. Buys Ballot's law: face the wind and the storm is on your right. This is how you know which way to run to get away. Take a look at: Earth.nullschool.net
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 15:27   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yup, we all agree on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
Actually, in the northern hemisphere, low-pressure systems rotate counter-clockwise. Buys Ballot's law: face the wind and the storm is on your right. This is how you know which way to run to get away. Take a look at: Earth.nullschool.net
Old 13-08-2016, 15:29   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

More interesting is which way is south when you are at the south pole? (Rhetorical question for anyone just reading this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I know we go counterclockwise and you go clockwise. I was just jesting about what makes you the bottom of the earth. Which direction is up?
Old 13-08-2016, 19:03   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Ok, obviously I am not familiar with your terminology. I tried Googling it and came up blank. As for the cane.........
Zeehag's terminology is unique. You have to follow her posts for a while to understand her
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 00:56   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, Stu.
I tried but you'll have seen the response. I really did not understand the terminology used and henced posed a question. You'll have seen the responses.
Ill skip any further similar posts by said author as they really need input by Alan Turing.
Have a great day.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Zeehag's terminology is unique. You have to follow her posts for a while to understand her