Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 10:41   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 5,614
Images: 7
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Very hungry toredo worm??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 10:43   #17
Registered User
 
01kiwijohn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Boat: Casacde 36
Posts: 592
Images: 1
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

If it was an anchor chain that snagged it I don't think it would have caused the keel material to splay out like that. Especially that low down. I've had anchor chain contact evident, on my boat, but it usually results in just abrasion of the paint and you can see a pattern that matches the chain.
I'd be looking around the boat yard, if I were you. Is there anything on the lift vehicle itself, or near the area where the boat was picked out of the water? What about the positioning of the chains they use to keep the stands from moving out of position? Is there anything in the yard which would inflict this damage as they were driving, or maneuvering, the lift from the haul-out to where they blocked it?
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 10:48   #18
Registered User
 
01kiwijohn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Boat: Casacde 36
Posts: 592
Images: 1
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

[QUOTE=alctel;2631946]Hmmm, the same yard that overcharged me for work last time I was out two years ago splashed me the day I was due in two hours early before I got to the boatyard which I thought was a bit odd at the time.

I see from your location, that you have reason to be suspicious. I had a friend who had to haul, prior to Swiftsure one year, and he also encountered some oddly truculent boatyard personnel, in that area.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 11:03   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Victoria BC
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 1,231
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
If it was an anchor chain that snagged it I don't think it would have caused the keel material to splay out like that. Especially that low down. I've had anchor chain contact evident, on my boat, but it usually results in just abrasion of the paint and you can see a pattern that matches the chain.
I'd be looking around the boat yard, if I were you. Is there anything on the lift vehicle itself, or near the area where the boat was picked out of the water? What about the positioning of the chains they use to keep the stands from moving out of position? Is there anything in the yard which would inflict this damage as they were driving, or maneuvering, the lift from the haul-out to where they blocked it?
This haul-out I watched it come out the water and the damage was noticeable on the slings, before any blocking happened.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was the previous yard though - would explain why they put the boat back in so quick before I arrived.
__________________
www.saildivefish.ca
alctel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 11:29   #20
Registered User
 
duefocena's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Newport Beach, CA.
Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'
Posts: 256
Images: 1
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Prop bite from an outboard on a neighbors boat?
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 15:25   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Moana 33
Posts: 1,092
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
...Wouldn't surprise me if it was the previous yard though - would explain why they put the boat back in so quick before I arrived.
That seems the only logical explanation - the launch yard backed into something or something hit before/during launch - since there seems no other chain/rope marks on the paint. But I guess that's more plausible if your rudder doesn't reach down that far.

So, was there fouling all over the damaged area before they waterblasted, or was it clean and fresh like this on haul-out?
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 15:31   #22
Jd1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Posts: 1,104
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

I am in the Victoria area and I would appreciate a name of the yard that hauled you out two years ago - via pm if you feel uncomfortable posting the name publicly.
I have to do a bottom job this spring and have to decide which of the 3 yards in the Sidney area will get my business (or which one will not - as moving the boat without me present is a definite big fat hairy no-no with sprinkles on top!)
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 16:31   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 38
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Does the boat yard have a forklift?
windcastle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 16:40   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boston
Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
Posts: 212
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Bluefish
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:43   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Victoria BC
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 1,231
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I am in the Victoria area and I would appreciate a name of the yard that hauled you out two years ago - via pm if you feel uncomfortable posting the name publicly.
I have to do a bottom job this spring and have to decide which of the 3 yards in the Sidney area will get my business (or which one will not - as moving the boat without me present is a definite big fat hairy no-no with sprinkles on top!)
I'm at canoe cove right now and both Vector Marine and Blackline have been wonderful. I'll PM you other yard
__________________
www.saildivefish.ca
alctel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:44   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Victoria BC
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 1,231
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
That seems the only logical explanation - the launch yard backed into something or something hit before/during launch - since there seems no other chain/rope marks on the paint. But I guess that's more plausible if your rudder doesn't reach down that far.

So, was there fouling all over the damaged area before they waterblasted, or was it clean and fresh like this on haul-out?
Had a bunch of fouling on it, including a big chunk of seaweed.
__________________
www.saildivefish.ca
alctel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:52   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 5 Mile River
Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Posts: 804
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Teething baby shark?
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 18:20   #28
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,723
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

I still think it was a round from a Russian Spetsnaz's APS Underwater Rifle...

or then again, maybe not.
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 20:10   #29
Registered User
 
buzzstar's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ashore in So Calif.
Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Posts: 1,452
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Rode rage?
__________________
"Old California"
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 21:21   #30
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,366
Re: What the heck could have caused this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Rode rage?
O.K. now that was a good one.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could a hack have caused the naval ships to crash? tbodine88 Marine Electronics 10 16-10-2017 15:01
What Could Have Caused This Crack? Julie Mor Construction, Maintenance & Refit 18 02-01-2015 09:41
What the heck have I been thinking!!! oldragbaggers Our Community 34 07-11-2012 19:02
Leaking Intake Gasket Caused by Too Much Blow-By? Killick Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 18-08-2009 21:08

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.