Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What makes you a 'cruiser'
You own, you live on board, and you sail oceans 20 25.00%
You own, you may or may not cross oceans, but you spend most of your time on your boat 21 26.25%
You own, you skipper or crew on cruises, defined by more than a few days and more than a few ports, regardless of body of water crossed 20 25.00%
Regardless of whether you own, you skipper or crew on cruises, defined by more than a few days and more than a few ports, regardless of body of water crossed 15 18.75%
Anyone who asks this question is a newb and a wannabe 25 31.25%
You're part of Eddie's band 3 3.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2021, 14:21   #1

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
What makes one a 'cruiser'?

As an avid fan (and $upporter!) of this forum, I enjoy all the knowledge and banter and opinions expressed.

I also enjoy the debates that a poll generates, especially when I'm beached for the next 5 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.17.40 PM.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	248734  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 02:54   #2

Re: What makes one a 'cruiser'?

You forgot ‘asks about a “blue-water” boat.’
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 03:43   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Wadya mean "you" ?
Are you asking what makes a person a cruiser, or what category the responder falls into?

"by more than a few days and more than a few ports," is that per trip or over a longer time period?

And you left out "I visit different places looking for a hookup"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 03:45   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

A cruiser is not a racer after that who knows what defines it.
Old 23-11-2021, 04:43   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

a police squad car
a person who cruises beaches on a bicycle
A cruiser is a warship, fast and moderately armed, somewhat larger than a frigate and somewhat smaller than a battleship.

Webster's

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 04:45   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I thought it would be about how many times one has cruised on Holland-America, Princess, et al. More than x makes you a cruiser.
Old 23-11-2021, 05:06   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Cruisers have 1970s heavy displacement boats with multiple masts, and are in non-contiguous countries. They wash their clothes in salt water, and own no footwear heavier than flipflops. Their hair is gnarly and sun bleached, and their skin bronzed. They don’t have refrigeration. They know about places you’ve not heard of: Funafuti, Kiritimati, Tikopia, Buka. If you sit with them and shut up, they have amazing stories.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 05:20   #8

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Cruisers have 1970s heavy displacement boats with multiple masts, and are in non-contiguous countries. They wash their clothes in salt water, and own no footwear heavier than flipflops. Their hair is gnarly and sun bleached, and their skin bronzed. They don’t have refrigeration. They know about places you’ve not heard of: Funafuti, Kiritimati, Tikopia, Buka. If you sit with them and shut up, they have amazing stories.

You forgot the ukulele or some other ethnic instrument.

To a true cruiser boat is home.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 05:41   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I was going to make a joke, but then I started to tick off quite a few of your boxes here TP. And then Tupaia added "You forgot the ukulele..." and I really started to get worried (ukulele, Check!). Maybe I am a cruiser
Old 23-11-2021, 06:18   #10

Yes! A Ukelele. Or guitar, and cruisers know how to play whole songs; CSN, Buffet, Iz, Isa Lei, etc.

They welcome newcomers, but have a very short fuse for BS. Cruisers have a nack for navigating cultures and avoiding trouble, though they had the foundation for this before they left. Blissful ignorance hasn’t been part of their character since they were eight years old.

They’re not pansies either. They’re not afraid of sharks or barracuda, or birds, or bugs. They sleep during blows while at anchor. If it needs to be done , they just do it, without all the whining and hand wringing.

They drink beer and rum, not frufru drinks. They have a disdain for yacht club people.
Old 23-11-2021, 06:42   #11

And more...

Real cruisers are naturalists. Always have been, but now they're more refined. It's not a "White Eye" bird, it's a TETEPARE White Eye. God forbid some land lubber refer to a frigate bird as a gull, or even a sea bird. They know their fish, down to the species, and often can tell you the name of that fish in four or five languages. They can say Humuhumunukunukuapua'a, and certainly can discern from other Humu.

They use ' as appropriate in spelling, and take the time to do so. It's Hawai'i and Vava'u. They'll be more historic and specific, like "let's meet at Kiritimati" so you don't wind up waiting for them a thousand miles away; it's Makira not San Christobal.

Cruisers know they guy that wants $20 when you show up isn't the chief. He never is. They also know that $20 local currency will be satisfactory, and not wip out that US$20.

Cruisers are slow to anger and difficult to get into conflict; that changes fast when some dumbass white fella starts screaming and berating the locals. You wanna find out just how strong that stringy, crazy looking yachtie is? There ya go.

They love the lines of the Hylas 55 that pulls into the anchorage, they feel as they did when they were 18, looking at other lines. Invited below decks on the Hylas, they are sincerely in awe of the beauty, practicality, ergonomics, and comfort. But if offered an even up trade for their boat, they'd decline.

They don't wonder if the water in the bilge is fresh or salt. They know exactly which friggin fitting has probably given up and can check it in seconds. They know every wire, every hose. They weren't diesel mechanics, but they are now.
Old 23-11-2021, 06:55   #12

I think TP is having a seizure, or some sort of kannipfit. Maybe a local cruiser can check in on him .

P.S. That's another mark of a true cruiser; they'll always help out other cruisers.
Old 23-11-2021, 07:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think TP is having a seizure, or some sort of kannipfit. Maybe a local cruiser can check in on him .

P.S. That's another mark of a true cruiser; they'll always help out other cruisers.

Well, not to compare with your situation, but the boat is on the hard, sealed up tight, and probably will go unseen for four months. The marina docks are completely void of boats. Ya know?
Old 23-11-2021, 07:09   #14

Quote:
Well, not to compare with your situation, but the boat is on the hard, sealed up tight, and probably will go unseen for four months. The marina docks are completely void of boats. Ya know?

Ah... just bored, like me .
Old 23-11-2021, 08:31   #15

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
And more...

Real cruisers are naturalists....
That paragraph did not go where I thought it might. But I do agree with what was said.

We took a hike with a group of just aquainted cruiser friends representing 5 boats. It was amazing the amount of natural science with the group.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser