Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 14:42   #16

Boat: Moana 33
Re: What Kind of Rig is This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
... If so then you ought to be able to position them so that the lift vector is straight forward...
Not if "straight forward" is directly into the wind... [You're an aircraft buff, so you know an aircraft has no "lift" component directly ahead.]
And yes the trim tab must provide the camber - incredibly clever design, yet he says it's not entirely original - just being modest??
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 14:47   #17

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If it works like it looks like to me, understand this is just me looking a the thing and having read nothing.
They way I assume it’s done is to position the “Wings” to the relative wind so that the lift vector is longest and in the direction you want to sail.
If so then you ought to be able to position them so that the lift vector is straight forward.
Although to be honest, just looking at them, they seem too small, unless of course they are in a very high speed airflow, then the lift could be substantial.
They also have to be fully symmetrical airfoils, and that also hurts performance.
Also it appears that they have a long trim tab at the trailing edge?
I assume it’s movable and maybe there to control camber?
No from what I gather, from some articles and reviews and YouTube, the power comes from the two boomed jibs. The masts just there to hold them up. The foils around the masts, together with a rotating mechanism of the foil, not the mast, makes them pretty much invisible to the wind.

So the convenience of the roller reefing foresails, self-tacking, probably pretty efficient though I vaguely recall commentary that indicated not earth shattering. Against the added complication of the foils and windage in some situations.

But no expert or personal experience, though I did like the idea and the innovation. Just wondering if anyone had more knowledge.

This from 2013:
https://youtu.be/ekVzCKlgoxU
Old 20-11-2018, 15:04   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

I find the rig hugely interesting, not sure what to call it, but I would love to play with one for a while. But alas, priced way out of my league, could trade in my entire net worth and still be a good few hundred thousand short on owning one. They do look like an entirely different experience from what I am used to. So anyone have one who also happens to also be looking for crew...
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote