Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 10:26   #31

Re: What is the Smallest Boat That You Would Sail Outside of Coastal Waters?

Just for fun but germain to the OP, Hugo Vihlen crossed the Atlantic from Casablanca to Florida in the 6 ft. sailboat "April Fool". The boat is currently on display in the Mariner's Museum in Newport News and is quite a sight.

The Sun | 0443 | October 27, 2004
Old 17-05-2012, 10:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7

I want to be able to stand up inside each morning to put my trousers on. Anything less is nautical camping.

Pete
That's my philosophy. Everyone says go small and go soon but I would hate not being able to stand up straight. Cruising wouldn't be fun for me that way.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 13:24   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Here is another data point:

In 1983, keen to find out about "blue water" sailing, Ann and I sailed our Yankee 30 from SF to Hawaii and back. We had a great time, learned that we did indeed like voyaging, and gained valuable experience. Survived a named tropical storm on the way (did our best ever days run under just a storm jib, too!). The boat did just fine.

But, we also learned that passage making in a boat that liked to sail at 25+ degrees of heel angle -- something that hadn't been a problem for us coastal cruising -- was very fatiguing for us after a few days at sea, watch on watch. So, we bit the bullet and bought Insatiable one, a 36' ex-race boat when we left for good 4 years later.

So, I gotta agree with the folks above who point out that your personal comfort level is a deciding factor. It isn't just enjoyment of life, but the ability to get enough rest at sea to be safe, and for us, that was indeed size related.

YMMV

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-05-2012, 14:10   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

That is the best advice I have heard on the subject...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 14:46   #35

Boat: Celestial 48

I loved my Dana 24 and would have complete confidence in crossing an ocean in her. Handled rough seas much better than my old 32 footer. I sailed her from Canada to Mexico, but I guess really would be classified as "coastal". Would not want to go smaller myself.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 05:32   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by denalione View Post
That's my philosophy. Everyone says go small and go soon but I would hate not being able to stand up straight. Cruising wouldn't be fun for me that way.
And here's the whole issue in a nutshell. Different people have different ideas about what they want and what would make them comfortable. Asking other people what THEY need to be comfortable cannot possibly tell you anything about what YOU need to be comfortable.

No offense meant to the OP. This is a very common sort of question, but it is misguided. It cannot produce any useful information. It is such a personal matter that only you can decide what is right for you.

I have spent weeks at a time aboard a 23' boat with my wife. I now know that is too small for us. I have spent weeks at a time aboard a 44' boat with my wife. I now know that we don't need anything quite that large. But that's just us. You will most certainly have different opinions, attitudes, perspectives, wants, and needs than we do. You just have to decide for yourself.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 06:09   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Interesting that no one has (yet?!) suggested a vessel based on a 6 foot rubber ring - with a canopy.

But I guess that the rubber ring based "safe" is only applicable in conditions that have overwhelmed a 40 foot boat........
You are the heart of wit as always DOJ.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 06:15   #38

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No offense meant to the OP. This is a very common sort of question, but it is misguided. It cannot produce any useful information. It is such a personal matter that only you can decide what is right for you.
I disagree, for some people a discussion such as this with differing viewpoints will change their expectations. Changed expectations will change how they reaction to and perception of the activity when they first experience it. On the other hand for some people it does nothing.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 06:55   #39

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Interesting that no one has (yet?!) suggested a vessel based on a 6 foot rubber ring - with a canopy.

But I guess that the rubber ring based "safe" is only applicable in conditions that have overwhelmed a 40 foot boat........

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marathon2006dingy400_400x293.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	41271  
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 08:05   #40

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

I loved denverdon's post#36..."in a nut shell"..good pun there...but also good info.....and the photo evoked by DOJ's comment on post #39..made the day....Thanks...
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 13:44   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
That's been saved for future use .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 13:56   #42

Boat: private yacht always moving

Might be right,,,,,you can always start out with a banana boat first

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Banana-Boat--30100.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	41289  
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 13:58   #43

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I wouldn't have any qualms about sailing off into hoodoo land in my Nimble 20 but I'd rather take the 48'er. Not because of safety - you cant sink the Nimble but it gets tough to live on after awhile because it's so small!
I've got news for you - it's safer out in Hoodoo land than it is along shore!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 15:25   #44

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
I would confidently sail many of the boats listed under 30' -contessa, flicka, Dana, and many others too. I think that the 30' range is a practical size, even 28' just for tankage, stowage and comfort without too much cost.

Constantin, my first boat was a WWP 19 and I took it offshore more towards the end of ownership. Nearshore and short distance, but I quickly traded up to a Cape Dory 30. The West Wight Potter had a little to much hull flex, plus the lack of inboard motor, and the centerboard that would sometimes come loose. That said, it was perfect for shallow water, mountain lakes and limited coastal work. I miss the places it took me, but preferably
Not on a multi- day passage with potential thunderstorms, or even in a fresh NE breeze + chop on the Pamlico. However, I would go core sound to cape lookout over and over and never get tired of that!

Best of luck to the OP, I'd say 28' minimum; 34 is my sweet spot for the type of passagemaking you listed.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 16:00   #45

After reading Jim Cate's reply I am wondering if it is the displacement/ weight of a boat or type of keel that makes a small boat more comfortable (ie: does a boat with a full keel heel less than one with a fin?)
I've been in love with the Dana for some time but have read she is not great in light winds and am worried that a small boat might be too rolly even though she is described as having a sea-kindly motion...
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail