Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 10:19   #16

Boat: Tartan 4100
Re: What is the most rowable dinghy?

To answer the OP's original question will require someone with personal knowledge of multiple manufacturers of RIBs and the way they handle in order to equitably compare oranges to oranges. I have only had one inflatable with a plywood floor and even though inflatables are great for hauling, they're not for me. I have had several hard dinghies and even built one (a Dixi 8). I like to row as well and that's why I have what I have. Now, I have a Fatty Knees and it rows fairly well but not quite as well as my Dixi.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:25   #17
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't think the OP asked for dingy opinions, they asked what kind of RIB rows best.
For a RIB to row it's all about the oars and oarlocks. So check those out. Buy good long oars instead of trying to use the wimpy ones.
Exactly... I think most folks who insist an RIB can't be rowed, well... don't know how to row... ;-)

The pinned oars that come with many brands are a joke... You need an Avon-style open oarlock that permits the use of longer oars, and allows them to be feathered on the recovery stroke...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:31   #18
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Who insisted that an RIB can't be rowed?
Old 12-02-2015, 10:40   #19

Boat: Scout 30

How well a boat rows is more a function of hull shape than material. Boats that row well are displacement hulls that cannot plane. They are designed to slip through the water with little power rather than climb on top of it. All boats are compromises & no hull design can do everything well.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:43   #20

Boat: Ericson 38

I previously rowed an 8 foot sabot which is a pram style boat and that particular boat didnt compare in seaworthyness, saftey, payload ability and wasnt as fun to row as a hard chine dingy with a higher freeboard and a more stable platform so that it is not so tippy when boarding.
kenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:49   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't think the OP asked for dingy opinions, they asked what kind of RIB rows best.
True, somewhat.

But unfortunately, as with many threads on the forum, the title of the thread does not specify (RIB only) and is a general question. It asks a good general question: "What is the most rowable dinghy?"

Given the title of the thread, it seems fair to discuss any row capable dinghy.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:52   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenL View Post
I have a 9 foot "Minto" , hard Fiberglas dingy that is fantastic to row. I no longer take an outboard with me when I go for my 2-3 week summer cruises in the northwest. I can take my wife and two teenagers ashore quite safely and with minimal effort. I can row out through four foot waves safely with two people in the boat. It is kept on a swinging stern Davit on my Endeavour 32 while underway and can easily be deployed in less than a minute. The Minto was the predecessor to the Whitehall rowing and sailing skiffs so lighter,newer and larger boats are available if you want to pay for them. I bought mine for 350. and spent another 150. for better hardware. Make sure that you get some good oars that are light and long enough to move the boat efficiently. I have 6.5 foot oars for a boat that is about 4 feet wide.
My plan is to get an electric oar which are made here in the Seattle area which is a light and efficient way to move these boats when you don't want to row. In their demonstration video they use a 9foot Minto so you can see one in action.
Photos of different dinghy designs help the discussion.

Thanks for providing the photo of the dinghy on your boat (it looks nice there) and the description. Any photos of the dinghy in the water or with load?

You also mentioned an Electric Oar. See my photo below.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:52   #23

Boat: Grand Banks 50

I think typical RIBs make poor rowboats because the oarlocks are mounted on the inflatable tubes which move and flex as one rows.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:54   #24

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

This is inspiring me to rethink and get a dory like this to tow behind my boat for local island exploring....
https://lunenburgdoryshop.files.word.../bastard11.jpg
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:54   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a photo of an original "Electric Oar."

Note: This is an antique Electric Oar and ad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric Oar Antique.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	97034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric Oar Ad Antique.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	97035  

Old 12-02-2015, 11:51   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Here is a photo of an original "Electric Oar."

Note: This is an antique Electric Oar and ad.
Now that is cool.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 13:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
This is inspiring me to rethink and get a dory like this to tow behind my boat for local island exploring....
https://lunenburgdoryshop.files.word.../bastard11.jpg
Towing works great .... until that one day.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 13:12   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You'll find a lot of good information in this book http://www.amazon.com/The-Dinghy-Boo.../dp/0877421358 Although, how to make/find a RIB which is rowable, likely isn't a heavily covered topic. As RIB & rowable, generally don't mix well. Though one point of Serious wisdom as relates to getting the most performance for the least sweat, if heading down that road, is to use the longest oars you can find, & comfortably swing (that & pumping up the tubes as much as possible, in order to minimize energy loss to their flexing).

Ever since owning a dory'ish dink, I've been a BIG fan. Albeit they're just another design style which conform to the rules which make boats of almost any type move through the water well: Low wetter surface, & Low drag. Though of course, they have a lot of other positive attributes as well (contributing to their seaworthiness & "Legend").

If you're looking for a hard dink which is versatile, performs well, & is easy to stow, check out Russell Brown's PT11 @ www.PTwatercraft.com
Stowed, it's 6'x3.5'x20", weighs just shy of 90lbs, & fits into the back of my old Toyota 4runner (a handy feature). Thus finding deckspace for one, & handling it's halves, are fairly easy prospects.
A couple of other Nesting Dinghy options are; "Nester", & "Chameleon" - the latter by Danny Greene (NA).

Though if you're you're seriously looking at hard dinghies, I'd strongly suggest doing some reading on them, & the key qualities to look for in them first. As listed above.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 13:16   #29
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Who insisted that an RIB can't be rowed?
You're right, I should have said "rowed well", "effectively", or whatever...

However, since you asked, here's an example from another recent thread:

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
Finally, a RIB won't row, nor will an inflatable - especially if there is any chop or wind to deal with. That means your dink will have to be a hard one with all the attendant hassles of tippy-ness, storing it on board and enjoying the sound of it banging in to the hull while tied off at anchor.
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 13:24   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The oar locks on most inflatables are jokes that will not hold up to serious rowing, hell even non serious rowing. The only inflatable oar locks that I've found will work are the hard rubber oar locks on the Avons. Have rowed an Avon with those oar locks all over French Polynesia. Can't say how well a RIB will row but think it's better than most people on this thread seem to think. At least if one has decent oar locks, you have a chance.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy