Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 05:27   #46

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, PoutingFish.
Greetings to you Sir and all the beautiful people of CF! Oops! Haven't reported to the Meets and Greets. My bad! Will promptly do so
Old 07-06-2015, 05:35   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hmmmm . . . . no one else seems to have said it straight out . . .. but distance single-handing is in fact significantly more challenging, difficult and also risky.

Day sailing singlehanding is not so different because you don't have the fatigue issue.

It's to do with much higher fatigue, and the fact you can only do one thing at a time (esp when sail handling and docking).

I have sailed single, double and fully crewed . . . . I personally dont much like singlehanding, but I learned a ton from doing it and became a better seaman from it.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:55   #48

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
On the issue of single handing, there is being planned a solo non-stop circumnavigation race in 2018, and based on the 1968 Golden Globe Race.

What makes it a bit different from today's races:

If it goes ahead, should be an interesting competition.
Thanks Nigel! Didn't know about this and yes, should be very interesting!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:36   #49

Boat: contessa 32

It has been my experience that crew will not always be available at my chosen departure time, location ,schedules etc.,etc..So many erstwhile crew who already have their bags packed at a January cocktail party,fail to materialize at the dock in June ,even for an afternoon daysail.

Here be a great Truth: If you need crew to get out and enjoy your boat, then you will sailing will be attenuated and you will not go very far or often. These boats often will be sold soon and the worlds marinas are full of them.

Another great Truth: Many capable captains love it when crew comes and love it when they leave (the crew often feel the same).

Next great truth: If you do not like being alone, maybe it's the company.

Penultimate great truth 1: Most wannabe cruisers want the biggest boat they can get their hands on,rather than the smallest boat that they can live with. The latter is the one that will teach you the most and is a short cut to realizing your dreams. Stop thinking about the "ultimate boat" that you need.

Penultimate great Truth #2: True single handing is the highest level of seamanship and that is why many will brag of "single handing" when they motor to a slip on the other side of the marina.

Final great truth: The ocean is bigger and more awesome than the largest ship devised my man… a large boat that cannot be singlehanded in all weathers will be much more at risk than a smaller craft that can.Its seamanship that will always get you through.

Luv you all ……………………………..mike…………………………………………………...
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:38   #50

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I don't get to do long open ocean trips. The longest one I have even contemplated is around Van Isle. Would need at least 2 months to do it right. When I singlehand its because I want to go and there's nobody to take along. When its time to go, you got to go.It does however make risk management more challenging. (There you go, another pilot chimes in.)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:16   #51
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Some of us believe that other people are comprehensible, or that at least we should be able to understand what, in our opinion, is wrong with them.

Others have grown to understand that while we may enjoy people and function well with them, we will never actually understand each other, and that just maybe, it's none of our business.

If you think that a driving trip, business trip, or day sail alone are in any way related to a person's ability to be alone, you really do not understand people. Being alone while you are doing something necessary and being comfortable truly living alone come from very different personality types.

I find it very telling that the OP does not realize that a true loner cannot understand him either.

---

There are 2 distinct groups of singlehanders:
a. A capable sailor that does not rely upon crew to plan, sail, or dock. Because he, at least occasionally, sails alone, he must have procedures that are adapted to this practice (like not expecting MOB recovery, or for someone to haul lines while dropping the chute). He probably enjoys a few days alone, but probably no more than that, and enjoys company too. He can chose his company for personal enjoyment and not for sailing skills.
b. A person that enjoys being alone. This person would also be happy on an extended (over one week) solo hiking trip. While this person is probably happy around people, relationships have different place in his life than for "a".

Most of us are in category "a", though have non-sailor friends that are in group "b". Do I truly understand them? No, but I am OK with that. I recognize that relationships are different for them. To me., they are far more pleasant that dependent, manipulative people (dependent personalities are nearly always manipulative in ways they do not even see--they need to pull people towards themselves).
Old 07-06-2015, 08:29   #52
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Please enlighten me. Many here LOVE to mention that they "single hand" Well good for you.

Why do people say this all the time? Is it a form of braggadocio or what?

From what little I know, many if not most competent sailors can single hand....so what?

To me, boating, cruising, sailing is something to be shared and enjoyed with friends, family and loved ones. Personally, life is too short to spend alone....esp sleeping alone. IMHO, sailing is OK fun....not super exciting...but is a COMPLETELY different experience with my gal.....makes all the difference in the world. So again...why all the bravado about single handling?

Not to be insulting...but I REALLY don't get this.
e

Best advice is to try it. Either on a day sail in good wind or on a passage where it's just you, 24/7. Don't recommend the latter since you needed to ask the question, but the former will be highly enlightening if, perhaps, costly of you don't know what you're doing. Just leaving dock can be eventful
TanzerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:32   #53

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Please enlighten me. Many here LOVE to mention that they "single hand" Well good for you.

Why do people say this all the time? Is it a form of braggadocio or what?

From what little I know, many if not most competent sailors can single hand....so what?

To me, boating, cruising, sailing is something to be shared and enjoyed with friends, family and loved ones. Personally, life is too short to spend alone....esp sleeping alone. IMHO, sailing is OK fun....not super exciting...but is a COMPLETELY different experience with my gal.....makes all the difference in the world. So again...why all the bravado about single handling?

Not to be insulting...but I REALLY don't get this.
as an avid single hander my only words are that you are among the vast majority and are absolutely right. you don't get it.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:38   #54

Boat: Union 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
If you have to ask you'll never understand
+1
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:00   #55

While I have known several single handers, two who circumnavigated, my experience has been with short handed cruising. If one of us was disabled, then it would have been singlehanding. Now quite what many are responding to, but it is a good backup option which can happen. Being ABLE to singlehand means survival. Deliberate singlehanding is satisfying, challenging, and for many a real way of life. The fact that one person chooses one way and another chooses a different way, means that each has made choices with which they are comfortable, or if not, by necessity. It is an individual choice and a good skill if needed. By the way, the single handers I have known really like to talk to others after their voyages. I guess it is compensation for their solitude when at sea.
stevebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:05   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
- I can lay in bed and read all night long without my wife complaining
Did we forget? No one snoring next to you!!!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:09   #57

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I feel as though everyone who enjoys long passages should make at least one singlehanded. It is enlightening, spiritually enriching and fulfilling on many levels.

The smoken hot mate is very nice. Why do you think they call them singlehanders?
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
.... a sunset is just a sunset without someone to share it with....
Uhm, I disagree. I experienced a very loong and spectacular sunset just last June, in an anchorage I had frequented many times over the years, both with family and alone.

The pictures are fantastic for me to review, and my photographs (no videos, I hate those things) are a history of my travels. I love to either put 'em on a loop to follow along, or do shuffle them and recall where they were from as they pop up on my screensaver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120657 (Small).JPG
Views:	163
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	103334  
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:29   #59

As for me, I love the chance to be part of nature. To listen to nothing except the wind and the waves. After just a few hours sailing, I am completely relaxed. No need for artificial mood altering substances. My wife does not share my passion for sailing so she respects my need to go off my other love, sailing. Its good for both of us. I also love the challenge of having to learn how to do everything myself. I am new to sailing, so learning all these new skills is great exercise for my late 50's brain. I enjoy having passengers too, so it is not just one or the other for most of us.
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:30   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I'm not a pilot, but I do singlehand a bit. Actually most of the time. Though only day sailing/ gunkholeing. Even when I have passengers, I still dock and undock single handed. Though mainly as its the only way I know how to do it.

Mind you my little 34' boat is pretty easy to singlehand, due to the low freeboard, and simple rigging. I agree that singlehanding across oceans is completely different from mucking about day to day with gunkholeing/daysails.

Still If something breaks, I know I can fix it and yes, I've even been up the stick a time or two (not my favorite thing)

I fall into that B category of folks that like to be alone. Weird I know. My preference is to enjoy nature. But, I've always been different.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single