Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 11:23   #16

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 439
Re: What is the best blue water cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
I would say most world cruisers would say it is their boat :-)
Going by the heuristic that "a boat you own is better in every practical sense than one you don't", the best blue water cruiser is my Sun Odyssey 439
Kian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 15:20   #17

The Crystal Esprit.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 15:50   #18

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinof View Post
So what's your aim in sailing? Is it to do passages all the time or is it to enjoy the boat at anchor (90+% of the time)?

If it's the latter then I wouldn't touch a boat like this. No easy access to/from the water or a tender makes it a pain in the ass from my perspective. Add in that small cramped cockpit and you really starting to limit your at anchor enjoyment.

Now they are nice boats, well built and great on passages but limiting in so many other ways.
No thanks.
We bought a blue water cruiser with excellent sailing performance because we loved sailing. We love it more than anchoring, even though we do more anchoring than actual sailing.

Sailing is the reward.

If it doesn't excite you with sparkling performance every time you put up the sails, then might as well rent a vacation condo somewhere and skip the hassle of owning the boat.

You can't "weight" it. Lack of sailing performance is a deal breaker. Unseaworthy is a deal breaker. After that it is 50% livability and 50% does it excite my passion.

And remember, sailing is the reward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2040-Wings and Haere Maru.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	227318  
wingssail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 16:08   #19

Boat: S&S 36

You can talk about it till the cows come home, better, faster ,safer., etc. At the end of the day, you will find a boat that you fall in love with and that is going to be your boat. If not, keep looking
Have fun
Nico Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 19:23   #20

I don't know about other countries but in Australia, half of all new car sales are SUVs. The vast majority never leave city streets. So why do we buy cars that can go places that we will never take them? Perhaps we just want to dream....perhaps on day we might actually go off-road, splashing through creeks, like you see in the adverts. We buy them because they suit our self-image. We want to be that rugged off-road adventurer, even if we are not really. Marketers understand this completely.

Boats are no different. Many people choose a boat for it's potential, and how it suits their self-image, not how they end up being used. Our marina is full of capable, off shore cruisers that never leave the bay...… in fact hardly leave the marina. After all, many of the things that make a good blue water boat make them a PITA in a marina and at anchor. i.e. high freeboard, no transom access, long keels etc. I am not saying all, but many, perhaps most. Of course you might be one of the few that actually will cross oceans. In which case, I am completely unqualified to answer your question.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 19:59   #21
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Cal36

yes
Ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 00:43   #22

Boat: Tayana 42, sloop, 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oronsay View Post
If 80% of time is spent at anchor, and that’s an 80% selection weight, then you should pick a houseboat. The challenge and reward of cruising is getting there, safely and with confidence. I say put 80% of your selection weight on seaworthiness.
Hi Oronsay:
Seaworthiness is of prime importance. I chose a '90' Tayana 42cc, owning it since 1995, and still love it. Sailed across the Pacific with crew, also sailed single back to Oregon with only a few worn sheets, outhaul, and foresail tare. Mexico, Canada were places it loved to sail. A Heavy double ender boat, 19 Tons light, however, pleasantly built strong and comfortable. Not much mention about them, most are cruising. The pacific can be a tough place to sail, like a washing machine, while humans get the most beating out of it. So cruising ocean waters for long periods can be tough, but having assurance your boat will take the punishment is satisfying in itself. Pacific Seacraft, Hans Christain, Baba, Hallberg/Rassy, and several others mentioned in this forum should be a great source for you to examine.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 12:43   #23
Nearly an old salt

Seaworthy is a very difficult term to define as it means different things to different people.

Nearly everything to day is “ seaworthy “ grp is strong , engines are reliable , etc.

Most stuff to day 36 foot up can take you anywhere with care
Old 21-11-2020, 13:05   #24

The thing is that although 90% is spent at anchor ,that 1% 1000 miles from no where when sh-t hits the fan seems a lot longer than the 90%. Its easier to endure with a good boat.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 13:09   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
The thing is that although 90% is spent at anchor ,that 1% 1000 miles from no where when sh-t hits the fan seems a lot longer than the 90%. Its easier to endure with a good boat.
Yes but even on a less then suitable boat it is merely an occasional endurance for a short while. The truth being that most production boats can be taken through weather. Remember the crew gives up before the skipper and the skipper gives up before the boat
Old 21-11-2020, 13:34   #26

I had a friend who sailed a 35 foot Benetau sun odyseey from Florida to Fiji with his wife and kid.
The boat did fine and even the living space was fine. I joined him for 10 days in the Tuamotos. What really bummed him out about his boat was the size of the dingy that a 35 foot boat could carry. It severly limited the activities he would have done at anchor, such as scuba diving and free diving.
He made me realize that when I set out in two years for my trip, that I will likely get a much much larger boat than I need just to have the dingy be of a size capable to do many activities with. For me, that will mean either a 40 + foot cat or a 50+ foot monohull. Either one should give a huge amount of luxury.
don
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 14:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
. Remember the crew gives up before the skipper and the skipper gives up before the boat

I agree but I know in our case we don't mind a hard blow as the boat doesn't mind & instills confidence in us. It keeps us out there.

When I was last in Papeete there were more Jenneaus at the dock than any other brand.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 16:08   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
I had a friend who sailed a 35 foot Benetau sun odyseey from Florida to Fiji with his wife and kid.
The boat did fine and even the living space was fine. I joined him for 10 days in the Tuamotos. What really bummed him out about his boat was the size of the dingy that a 35 foot boat could carry. It severly limited the activities he would have done at anchor, such as scuba diving and free diving.
He made me realize that when I set out in two years for my trip, that I will likely get a much much larger boat than I need just to have the dingy be of a size capable to do many activities with. For me, that will mean either a 40 + foot cat or a 50+ foot monohull. Either one should give a huge amount of luxury.
don

How big a dink do you need? We cruised for 17 years and 86,000+ miles in a 36 foot ex IOR one-tonner. We carried an old Zodiac Mk II inflatable... around 13 feet LOA and with a 15 hp outboard. We did heaps of scuba and free diving plus exploring and of course, all the life support efforts of provisioning, rubbishing, watering, fueling and all the multitude of jobs a cruiser's dink must accomplish.

It was a soft bottom with timber floorboards and an inflatable keel... typical non-RIB design. Towed it around in protected waters, deflated and stowed below decks on passages. Worked pretty damn well for a long time (and then it died. Actually, we were still using it at age ~16 years... but it only really lasted about 13, if ya know what I mean!

I submit that most any modern 36+/- foot yacht could carry such a tender, and that it would fill most needs.

Jim
Old 21-11-2020, 23:05   #29
Nearly an old salt

Agreed , we use a lightweight rigid floor 2.5 metre dinghy and a 3.5 hp

I have a bigger 3.2 M rib and a yam 15 but the engine is great but too heavy to manipulate of the dinghy /rib
Old 22-11-2020, 02:36   #30

Really enjoyed the delivery video, thanks...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cruise, cruiser, water