Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 06:15   #31

Re: What is Adequate Tankage Capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Seriously? You can't understand why people would prefer a fuel source that delivers a constant 22,000 BTUs per pound, versus one that varies dramatically, maxing out at about 7,500 BTUs per pound and averaging closer to 5,500 BTUs per pound? Never mind the huge difference in the amount of space these two different fuel sources require.

You can't understand that? Okay, well then I probably can't explain it to you.

(Wait! I know. You're going to talk about how dangerous propane is. Heard it all before. Basically it boils down to this: Propane can be handled perfectly safely if you take a few basic, well-documented precautions. If you can't do that then, definitely, stick to wood.)
I don't think his comment has anything to do with which fuel is better or safer. Based on past threads, I don't believe he can afford propane so he makes due with what he can get for free (scrap wood and coconut husks) even though they are less safe and much more of a hassle to cook with. Likewise with motoring, I don't think he has a functioning engine so he justifies it by claims it's better not to have one.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:37   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Based on past threads, I don't believe he can afford propane so he makes due with what he can get for free...
Maybe. That would make sense. Still, what he said was not that he can't afford propane, but that he can't understand why anyone would want to use propane instead of wood. I can only hope that he was being deliberately obtuse.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:44   #33

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Maybe. That would make sense. Still, what he said was not that he can't afford propane, but that he can't understand why anyone would want to use propane instead of wood. I can only hope that he was being deliberately obtuse.
He also mentioned you could use human waste instead of wood, so........ not sure I'll be following advice from anyone recommending that
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:59   #34

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

I am probably spoiled, but I carry 600 gal diesel, and 350 gal water plus a watermaker. I usually carry about 20 gal gasoline for the dink. I have two 40lb propane tanks.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:22   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
He also mentioned you could use human waste instead of wood, so........ not sure I'll be following advice from anyone recommending that
I don't want to follow his advice, but maybe even more important, I don't want to follow his boat!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote