Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 08:31   #1

WHAT IS A GOOD GENERATOR ??

One that has a heat exchanger and 12volt output as well as 120 volt AC ??? Approximately 4-6 KW---- Don't say MASE!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47   #2

Boat: Luders 36
Re: WHAT IS A GOOD GENERATOR ??

I am by no means an expert, but pretty sure you are not going to find a marine generator that has both 120ac and 12v. Normally 120 (or 220). Battery charger used to get 12v. There are a few 12v models, then you use inverter to get to 120.
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:02   #3

Yes I know-- but a friends trawler Northern Lights 8KW does have a 120+ a 12 volt output-besides if a gen with a alternator that can charge its own battery why cant it also charge a house bank? or is it rocket science
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Most generators have a 12v charging circuit intended for the generator's separate battery. The 12 volt circuit isn't intended to quickly charge large banks of semi discharged batteries, except on generators large enough have an alternator.
If you're running the generator, you have ac for your normal charger if the generator is sized correctly.
Don't buy a generator with an air cooled engine.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:13   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If it's an AC generator, use AC power via charger or charger/inverter to charge the house bank.

As far as choice of generators goes - first decision is intermittent duty rated high speed vs continuous duty rated low speed. The latter is more expensive, heavier, and bulkier, but quieter and more reliable and longer lasting.

Then, if heavy duty, choose from leading makers - Northern Lights, Onan, Kohler. I think most people consider NL to be the best, but I can't see a lot of difference between these.

If light duty, then different choices.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
One that has a heat exchanger and 12volt output as well as 120 volt AC ??? Approximately 4-6 KW---- Don't say MASE!

I am curious by not MASE?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:31   #7

Boat: Able 50

The best generator that I ever owned was one of these.

NEXT-GEN - Marine Power Units
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:38   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The best generator that I ever owned was one of these.

NEXT-GEN - Marine Power Units
Those look good to me, too. Can you give details about your experience?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 05-11-2017, 05:52   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I wish there were more commercially made units dedicated to just spinning large-frame high-output alternators, I have very little use for shore power.

300+ amps continuous output, even x2 for redundancy.

Pulley sizes to optimize output at lowest rpm producing enough torque when loaded.

Balmar adjustable VRs

Powerful cooling over the diodes.

Perfect into a big LFP bank, no more than 30min runtime per day.

I suppose not too hard to DIY with a good engine guy, maybe 20-25HP?

But purpose built OTS would be better.

Q: stock truck alts or speciali$ed marine ones?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:35   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I wish there were more commercially made units dedicated to just spinning large-frame high-output alternators, I have very little use for shore power.

300+ amps continuous output, even x2 for redundancy.

Pulley sizes to optimize output at lowest rpm producing enough torque when loaded.

Balmar adjustable VRs

Powerful cooling over the diodes.

Perfect into a big LFP bank, no more than 30min runtime per day.

I suppose not too hard to DIY with a good engine guy, maybe 20-25HP?

But purpose built OTS would be better.

Q: stock truck alts or speciali$ed marine ones?
Noelex had something like this on his old boat, using a small propulsion engine (IIRC) to drive a jumbo school bus alternator.

I consider something like this for my own next boat.

I use a lot of AC power on board (comforts of home ), but I don't care whether power is generated by AC or DC, because the conversion is very efficient, first of all, and second even I don't use more AC power, than I do DC power, so I'm converting in any case.

I like this idea because a bog standard school bus alternator (there isn't any such thing as a "specialized marine alternator" AFAIK) is cheap and can be repaired by any third world auto electric shop with a screwdriver and a hammer, or by me. Or swapped out with a spare.

So easier to keep running than a regular AC generator.

The challenge, which I don't understand, is how to operate it. Maybe you just increase the revs if you think you will need more power -- you can work out max available power at different revs. Being careful not to leave it running at higher speeds with no load on. Or maybe it would be possible to invent some control system which would drop the revs automatically.
Walt Whitman
Old 05-11-2017, 07:32   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

An issue with having a pure DC generator is how good a battery charger will it be?
There are many, very good, very sophisticated AC battery chargers.
However the biggest problem with a pure DC genset in my opinion is their relative non availability. In truth I have never seen one.
As much as I like Science projects I have decided to as much as possible to buy off the shelf as opposed to trying to roll my own, watermaker for example. They are not Rocket Science.
Same for a generator.
It’s so easy now to convert back and forth between AC and DC with decent efficiency that even if you only want DC power, an AC generator still makes sense based on cost and availability.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:51   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
WHAT IS A GOOD GENERATOR ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Those look good to me, too. Can you give details about your experience?

Many of us have them.
Biggest draw is cost, size, weight and fuel consumption. It’s small and with the sound enclosure included only weighs 200 lbs, 160 without the sound enclosure. Two people can easily carry it and lower it into a Lazarette.
I don’t have enough Boat to warrant a full size gen, and I didn’t want to lose the storage space, and gain all that much weight. I have a 30amp electrical system so anything over 3.5 KW I couldn’t use anyway without rewiring the Boat.
I have always been amazed when I see a Cat with a huge, heavy generator. I would have thought that the weight wouldn’t be wanted.
According to the guy at Nex Gen they have many on shrimp boats etc that have over 5000 hours, he says very few if any actually wear out, it’s usually disuse and corrosion that gets them.
It is louder and not as smooth as a NL or other 1800 RPM gen, it’s actually a mid RPM as it runs at I believe 2850 RPM and drive the gen head through a serpentine belt at 3600 RPM.
The motor is a Kubota single cylinder horizontal Diesel used primarily on garden equipment, construction dirt tampers and the like.
It oddly enough has a ball bearing crankshaft, and I believe a wet cylinder, so it ought to be child’s play to overhaul. However as the cost isn’t all that bad and since it’s compact and only weighs 160 lbs, likely if or when mine wears out I’ll likely just replace it with a couple of hours work to R&R.

They are capacitor regulated, not an AVR so simple but not as sophisticated. I learned you can change the voltage by slightly changing the Uf of the capacitor.

If your the type that cranks the generator before you unplug from shorepower and it runs until you return to the dock, then this may not be your generator, but if you want to run it a couple of times a week to make water, charge batteries or when it’s hot and the mosquitos come out, it’s great for that. Think of it as a big, built in Diesel Honda.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:03   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
An issue with having a pure DC generator is how good a battery charger will it be?
There are many, very good, very sophisticated AC battery chargers.
However the biggest problem with a pure DC genset in my opinion is their relative non availability. In truth I have never seen one.
As much as I like Science projects I have decided to as much as possible to buy off the shelf as opposed to trying to roll my own, watermaker for example. They are not Rocket Science.
Same for a generator.
It’s so easy now to convert back and forth between AC and DC with decent efficiency that even if you only want DC power, an AC generator still makes sense based on cost and availability.
Yes, I agree about conversion efficiency, and I don't care that much whether I generate AC or DC power.

But a DC generator like this has some profound advantages. Note that I do NOT list "getting DC power directly" as an advantage

* Can run at different RPMs so that engine runs with a more healthy load for a given RPM.

* Cutting back the revs when small power is needed, will be quieter and less wear on the engine, not to mention more healthy.

* Using a standard school bus alternator (or a pair of them) is cheap, easy to repair, easy to carry a spare for -- in other words, easier to keep running in remote locations.

* Separating engine from generator makes both easier to get at and service.

Making it into a good battery charger is trivial -- a good external controller will do that -- Balmar or Sterling.
Walt Whitman
Old 05-11-2017, 08:09   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Many of us have them.
Biggest draw is cost, size, weight and fuel consumption. It’s small and with the sound enclosure included only weighs 200 lbs, 160 without the sound enclosure. Two people can easily carry it and lower it into a Lazarette.
I don’t have enough Boat to warrant a full size gen, and I didn’t want to lose the storage space, and gain all that much weight. I have a 30amp electrical system so anything over 3.5 KW I couldn’t use anyway without rewiring the Boat.
I have always been amazed when I see a Cat with a huge, heavy generator. I would have thought that the weight wouldn’t be wanted.
According to the guy at Nex Gen they have many on shrimp boats etc that have over 5000 hours, he says very few if any actually wear out, it’s usually disuse and corrosion that gets them.
It is louder and not as smooth as a NL or other 1800 RPM gen, it’s actually a mid RPM as it runs at I believe 2850 RPM and drive the gen head through a serpentine belt at 3600 RPM.
The motor is a Kubota single cylinder horizontal Diesel used primarily on garden equipment, construction dirt tampers and the like.
It oddly enough has a ball bearing crankshaft, and I believe a wet cylinder, so it ought to be child’s play to overhaul. However as the cost isn’t all that bad and since it’s compact and only weighs 160 lbs, likely if or when mine wears out I’ll likely just replace it with a couple of hours work to R&R.

They are capacitor regulated, not an AVR so simple but not as sophisticated. I learned you can change the voltage by slightly changing the Uf of the capacitor.

If your the type that cranks the generator before you unplug from shorepower and it runs until you return to the dock, then this may not be your generator, but if you want to run it a couple of times a week to make water, charge batteries or when it’s hot and the mosquitos come out, it’s great for that. Think of it as a big, built in Diesel Honda.
Sounds very good!

Is it reliable? Have you had any trouble with yours?
Walt Whitman
Old 05-11-2017, 08:44   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Sounds very good!

Is it reliable? Have you had any trouble with yours?
Bill Trayfors (btrayfors) has had one of these for years and has been happy with his. The only problem he reports, unloaded the AC wave form is kind of dirty and his inverter wouldn't kick in and sync with it unless he first added some kind of pure resistive load, then no problem.

I think later generations have fixed this but maybe A64 has some experience in this area.

You might also PM Bill to see if he has any new comments.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator