Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 16:02   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: What if.....There's a death at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Which sail bag to use? Which weight?.
As yachts don't normally carry cannon balls or firebars the best weight is an anchor... 25kg CQRs are said to be the best for this job... whether you secure it to the left or right foot will depend on the religion of the deceased.
Old 03-03-2014, 16:13   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Oh no. Now we will have an endless discussion on the merits of roll bars or not for disposing of bodies.

Coops.
Old 03-03-2014, 16:30   #18

Years ago a couple left California bound west . Water was bad , both got weaker and weaker, man died ,wife could not lift him out . She was found alive off Hawaiian islands with decomposing spouse still below . Late sixties or early seventies . Moral of the story , teach your spouse how to sail , navigate and how to rig a handy billy to lift heavy objects .
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 16:36   #19

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I asked my wife, who is an Ob/Gyn doctor..."Under no circumstances you are to dispose of a dead body...in most countries you can be charged with murder, until you can prove otherwise...As far as the smell goes, you'll have to deal with it. Without a death certificate signed by a doctor, you cannot legally dispose of a person that died on your boat...Take plenty of pictures...including the possible cause of death."

Mauritz
Reminder...Stock up on formaldehyde for the upcoming 3-hour boat tour!
Old 03-03-2014, 16:37   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Actually, I disagree about the EPIRB. There is no emergency. The beloved is DEAD. ..........
Ann
Ah Ann, I don't think you read my post correctly!

The sentence was "If you can't sail the boat, pop the EPIRB".

I suggest if one is 15 days from a port and can't sail the boat, then it is an emergency for the living soul - unless of course one likes floating around alone in the large blue thinking fondly of one's deceased significant other and having nowhere particular to go.

YMMV
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 16:40   #21

Late seventies I owned and operated one of the few " multi-pax boats in the V.I.
I was hired to go to St. Croix for a burial at sea . What I did not know was that lots of Civil Law was still based on Danish Law written in the 1800s . A uniformed Port Official came aboard and read the law to the party . We were required to go six miles off shore or into 600 feet of water , circle three times , cast the body over . Place a six pound ball at feet . If body did not sink I was required to puncture the body with gunfire or a pike !
Old 03-03-2014, 16:46   #22

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Ah, the good old days.

Considering a few spouses fall off at sea every year, and I mean fall off accidently (mostly via "skipper's privilege", it seems), if I was ABSOLUTELY SURE, I would opt for a burial at sea. It's way too problematic in any other sense...too "Wreck of the Medusa" by half.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 16:46   #23
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
I've told my wife if I die tie an anchor around me throw me over wait 24 hrs and report me missing at sea and go for accidental death and double the insurance money.
I think you are a very brave man and strongly suggest you withdraw that advice. Barring that, could you please put me in your will and leave me an anchor or something??
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 16:47   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Why Geoff,

I apologize for not reading clearly enough. Quite right, if the person cannot sail the boat, but quite unusual as most times the weaker partner does watches and can handle the mechanics....but definitely not true for all.

Perhaps it's just up to the one left to decide if there's an emergency. I could imagine someone deciding it was, and use their EPIRB because they were afraid of the concept of being charged with illegal disposal of a body and without a certificate of death, too.

Frank's, right, you gotta watch the eyes when you put the final stitch in the shroud. And dive weights will work and are cheaper than anchors.
Old 03-03-2014, 16:47   #25

, Peter Tangivald lost more than one wife at sea and had no death cert . He told me that he had more trouble getting a birth certificate for his daughter born at sea , he delivered en-route to Hong Cong from Red Sea .
We spent a year working together on Culebra just before his death . Wonder what happened to his son , Tomas . Google him if you like real sea stories ! Peer Tangevalld
Old 03-03-2014, 16:50   #26

Most burials at sea are semi illegal , you might be charged with pollution as you need a permit from the EPA to ' cast ' anything at sea .
Old 03-03-2014, 16:52   #27

At one time I was aware of all the rules and regs cause I received $750 for every burial .
Old 03-03-2014, 16:58   #28

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Ν guess you could be charged with murder if one of your crew fell in and was lost as well.....

Several points... I think it is very hard to prove cause of death in a well and truly deceased corpse unless there is a bullet hole in it or something like that.

Dead bodies smell bad... really bad... sailed with one for about 36 hours once... not good.

Meanwhile
'Burial at sea within Australian territorial waters, exclusive economic zone and continental shelf is covered by the Environmental Protection (Sea Dumping Act) 1981 administered by the federal Department of the Environment. A permit is required for burial of bodies at sea. Permits are usually only granted in cases of a strong connection to the sea, for example long serving navy personnel. The body must not be embalmed or placed in a casket, it may only be sewn into a weighted shroud. The burial must be in water deeper than 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) and not interfere with shipping, fishing or undersea communications.
Old 03-03-2014, 17:19   #29

Boat: contessa 32

In the days of yore, the body was sewn into his hammock with a cannon ball at his feet; the last stitch was thru the nose of the deceased,just in case.

Peter Tangvald ,mentioned above,was arrested and had all kinds of problems (in Singapore ? )when he arrived without his wife who fell overboard and was lost after being shot by pirates.
Captn. Voss, of log canoe fame, also was known to have arrived at his various destinations with out his crew that had a propensity to disappear in mid Pacific.
Come to think of it,I have sailed with some pretty grumpy crew myself.

……………………….luv you all…………………..mike………………………………………..
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 17:25   #30

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
In the days of yore, the body was sewn into his hammock with a cannon ball at his feet; the last stitch was thru the nose of the deceased,just in case.

Peter Tangvald ,mentioned above,was arrested and had all kinds of problems (in Singapore ? )when he arrived without his wife who fell overboard and was lost after being shot by pirates.
Captn. Voss, of log canoe fame, also was known to have arrived at his various destinations with out his crew that had a propensity to disappear in mid Pacific.
Come to think of it,I have sailed with some pretty grumpy crew myself.

……………………….luv you all…………………..mike………………………………………..

Exactly why is the last stitch through the nose?
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote