Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 07:40   #91

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: What if someone has tied to your private mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Do you include unauthorized (illegal) mooring balls in this standpoint ?
Is English your first language?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:03   #92

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Is English your first language?
I'm not sure your question was good but I didn't understand his question either.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:14   #93

At least in New England, just call the harbormaster and have them tow it. In Block Island, I'm told they'll also charge/fine the guy $500 for the tow.

In some New England towns the harbormaster is still the top ranking law enforcement officer (the boats and harbor were there first).
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:28   #94

Boat: Camano Troll

The biggest problem I see is, if you come back from a cruise or whatever and someone else is tied to your mooring (or in your slip), what do you do with your boat?

It doesn't matter if it was an emergency for the other boater, he (or she) just transferred the emergency to you. Do you tie your boat to someone else's mooring or put it in someone else's slip? Now you are the villain.

We have this problem at my marina which is primarily a dry stack marina. There are about fifty slips and about twenty are leased. The rest are used by dry stack boats who don't understand that if they haven't bee assigned a slip, they aren't supposed to put their boat in one.

Many of these boaters come back from a day of boating and look at the marina as a Walmart parking lot and just take any slip that doesn't have a boat in it. This means the person who has been assigned to that slip has to take a different one and so on until all the slips are filled.

We have gotten to the point that when we are on our way home, we call the marina and have them check to make sure our (leased) slip is empty.
Old 21-12-2016, 11:47   #95

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

"At least in New England, just call the harbormaster and have them tow it. In Block Island, I'm told they'll also charge/fine the guy $500 for the tow.
In some New England towns the harbormaster is still the top ranking law enforcement officer (the boats and harbor were there first)."

Yes! Call the officials, punishment, penalties, beat the crap out of them, why not make them walk the plank.
Exactly this is what boating and community spirit is about.

NOT.
Helpfulness is what life is about and needed.

Guess I show a "bit" of sarcasm now.

Talk to people and be kind in the first run seems better to me.

Btw. Someone in need for a tow? I'd not even blink and offer it for free if it's not to far.
Guess there are plenty of the "I m on holiday let the expensive tow companies handle this" guys around.

Sad attitude that is. One day you may be the one needing a helping hand or some mooring ball for a few hours.

PS. :I am not talking about how to handle mooring squatters or derelict boats here.
Old 21-12-2016, 12:08   #96

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We have three private moorings that boats sometimes pick up either by mistake or intentionally for whatever reason. We don't like it for many reasons but understand that it happens sometimes due to circumstances. If we see them on the boat we inform them that they are on a private mooring. In most cases we let it slide. But one of our moorings is specifically a storm mooring and we need that for our boat if bad weather is coming or we will be gone for a while. In that case we insist they vacate. I think only one time we needed to call the police who informed them to leave or face having their boat impounded.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 12:37   #97

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Get off the high horse. Obviously we are not speaking of derelicts or a regular thing. Are you afraid you might meet someone nice? If it is a well kept boat someone will be back shortly.
Why no answer the actual question? Do you not have an actual vessel that stays in an actual designated spot?

And speaking of being on a high horse... !

Where I come from vessel space is a valuable commodity, and if someone were to take mine I am unsure where I'd go except very temporarily and inconveniently. But then this is not about me.
Old 21-12-2016, 12:48   #98

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I have applied for a private mooring and wondered what I would do if I found another boat on it with no one on board. Or someone anchored next to it.

We have to mark the bouy "private" and the name of the boat registered to it on the bouy.

Or is there a cleaver way to lock them off.
Above is the original post. We all seem to have drifted off point
Old 21-12-2016, 13:18   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
"At least in New England, just call the harbormaster and have them tow it. In Block Island, I'm told they'll also charge/fine the guy $500 for the tow.
In some New England towns the harbormaster is still the top ranking law enforcement officer (the boats and harbor were there first)."

Yes! Call the officials, punishment, penalties, beat the crap out of them, why not make them walk the plank.
Exactly this is what boating and community spirit is about.

NOT.
Helpfulness is what life is about and needed.

Guess I show a "bit" of sarcasm now.

Talk to people and be kind in the first run seems better to me.

Btw. Someone in need for a tow? I'd not even blink and offer it for free if it's not to far.
Guess there are plenty of the "I m on holiday let the expensive tow companies handle this" guys around.

Sad attitude that is. One day you may be the one needing a helping hand or some mooring ball for a few hours.

PS. :I am not talking about how to handle mooring squatters or derelict boats here.
Well stated! I can't believe boating has degraded to assuming the worst.
Old 21-12-2016, 14:34   #100

Boat: Camano Troll

The original post is about having a mooring and coming back from a cruise and finding your mooring taken. Seriously, emergency or whatever, what do you do now? Where do you leave your boat? How can you make sure your mooring will be available to you when you need it?

It's not about being polite, it's not about helping other boaters, none of that. It's exactly what he asked, how do you keep other boaters from taking your mooring. One that you paid to install and are counting on to secure your boat.
Old 21-12-2016, 14:36   #101

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The fundamental contradiction of private property rights.
The extension of property protection to one person necessarily and inevitably
denies the same right to all others.
That will depend of what makes it private. If someone just put on public waters buoys it does not make them private, it is just usurping public water space.

However if the relevant public authority installs a buoy camp for the good of all and a better gestion of public waters then there is no private property but only a better gestion of a public asset with the attribution of temporary rights of use in exchange of a payment that should cover the costs of the service provided.

Of course the gestion can be bad but that is another story.

I believe that sea waters cannot be privatised in any country, or at least I don't know any where that is possible.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 14:50   #102

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
That will depend of what makes it private. If someone just put on public waters buoys it does not make them private, it is just usurping public water space.

However if the relevant public authority installs a buoy camp for the good of all and a better gestion of public waters then there is no private property but only a better gestion of a public asset with the attribution of temporary rights of use in exchange of a payment that should cover the costs of the service provided.

Of course the gestion can be bad but that is another story.

I believe that sea waters cannot be privatised in any country, or at least I don't know any where that is possible.
Even your home is not totally privatised and can be taken by the state.
Do you apply your argument to Marinas as well? Same problem. You come home at night and find as you come into the berth someone has taken it uninvited. A risky situation for you & nearby boats if the wind is blowing.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 15:12   #103

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Ideally put a note on the mooring stating when you are back and perhaps max tonnage it's designed for.
Alternatively/additional red or green mooring penant.

Or leave a dinghy on it.

Or have no obvious handle on it (might make it inconvenient for yourself though too).

PS. I only rant about those not trying to solve matters amicably first.
Old 21-12-2016, 15:37   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Ideally put a note on the mooring stating when you are back and perhaps max tonnage it's designed for.
Alternatively/additional red or green mooring penant.

Or leave a dinghy on it.

Or have no obvious handle on it (might make it inconvenient for yourself though too).

PS. I only rant about those not trying to solve matters amicably first.
Old 21-12-2016, 16:04   #105

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You guys will note, that the OP doesn't have the mooring down yet? This is a hypothetical question he asked, merely about how to keep others from picking it up in his absence, if there were a way. Later on, Steve wrote that he would use a dinghy for a mooring minder. This will not keep someone from picking it up in an emergency, but most people out here will not pick it up when it has a dinghy on it, because it appears the owner is returning "soon."

Ann

Tags
mooring