Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2012, 15:48   #16

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway

Interesting. In Canadian waters there is an obligation and I thought it was international law. It must just be our own waters, of course you are the one who determines risk to your boat and crew and I don't know if they would ever question a decision not to respond. In emergencies the coast guard will make a general call to request all vessels in the vicinity capable of rendering assistance to respond. An unoccupied vessel dragging at anchor may not qualify anyway since there are no lives at risk, I don't know.
Here the harbormaster will not aide a boat dragging its anchor. A few weeks past a boat went hard on a break wall. A water taxi put the owners aboard but refused other aide. A small ski boat came up and pulled them off. I was stunned that the water taxi would unload the owner and back off. I yelled at the ski boat to stand by as the taxi was backing out.
We got a line to the ski boat and got them off. Very odd that the taxi would put people aboard and then not offer assistance. Could not would not Try a tow line. The operator refused to help. I was in a small dinghy and was trying to get the taxi to take the bow line. He flat refused. The ski boat backed in and I handed off the line. The boat had some gouges but survived.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 15:56   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: What If ?

[QUOTE=sabray;991500]
The operator refused to help. I was in a small dinghy and was trying to get the taxi to take the bow line. He flat refused.
[QUOTE]

Oh my. What is the world like out there?
Old 15-07-2012, 23:58   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

[QUOTE=Therapy;991507][QUOTE=sabray;991500]
The operator refused to help. I was in a small dinghy and was trying to get the taxi to take the bow line. He flat refused.
Quote:

Oh my. What is the world like out there?
Exactly. How heartless is that?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 01:26   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Here the harbormaster will not aide a boat dragging its anchor. A few weeks past a boat went hard on a break wall. A water taxi put the owners aboard but refused other aide. A small ski boat came up and pulled them off. I was stunned that the water taxi would unload the owner and back off. I yelled at the ski boat to stand by as the taxi was backing out.

We got a line to the ski boat and got them off. Very odd that the taxi would put people aboard and then not offer assistance. Could not would not Try a tow line. The operator refused to help. I was in a small dinghy and was trying to get the taxi to take the bow line. He flat refused. The ski boat backed in and I handed off the line. The boat had some gouges but survived.
But to be fair, owner would have known that before they got back onboard. with the Water Taxi probably a question of insurance - and for the operator a question of keeping his job as no doubt a blanket ban on towing.

Besides, no risk to life involved - at least not until Owner chose to get back onboard. Whilst giving folks a hand (within reason) is something that is nice to do, folks can't expect others to pick up the slack for own decisions that went badly.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 02:49   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Good Samaritan, your intent was to secure and make safe. Very difficult to prosecute you if it went awry....BUT

Unfortunately, QUITE possible to bring a civil lawsuit. The fact that one would win at the end doesn't change the fact that you would have possibly years of aggravation and legal expenses defending yourself.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 05:23   #21

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I think that once you notify the skipper you have moved his boat, you are off the hook--before that, its a grey area.

That still doesn't stop me from helping out, and I have moved and re-anchored boats several times.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 16:35   #22
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I think that once you notify the skipper you have moved his boat, you are off the hook--before that, its a grey area.

That still doesn't stop me from helping out, and I have moved and re-anchored boats several times.
Unfortunatly in these situations the skipper is normally at the bar and un-comunicado possible for some time. I too will not hesitate to help out but be aware that as the last person to operate the boat you may very well be responsible for anything bad that may happen between your actions and the return of the skipper.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 17:34   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Lots of difference between trying to save a vessel and trying to save the vessel's crew. U. S. Coast Guard saves crews and will assist crews in need occassionally with fuel or expertise. They do not have an obligation to save vessels.

With the number of really stupid lawsuits flying about I can see why a water taxi would not take the responsibility of taking a boat in tow. If there were damage to the taxi, he's responsible. If once, the skipper of the boat comes aboard, the skipper is injured or any of the taxi's passengers are injured then the taxi's captain and owners are responsible. If the taxi captain assists and the grounded boat is pulled off the rocks and later sinks, the grounded vessel's skipper might want to sue saying that the taxi captain didn't tow it off correctly.

We all consider ourselves good samaritans and will help vessels and crews whenever we can but if we are employed by someone else and somehow are using their equipment and I'm on their time then I need to think about their liability. I've saved boats too and will again but I won't put my family or crew in danger to do it. I also won't risk my home and my assets and the assets of my family to help someone who brings about frivilous lawsuits. I'm cautious.

kind regards,