Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 16:54   #46

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: What Have You Snagged Your Anchor on ?

Theres a little cove north of Trinadad Cali, we used to anchor up in with a rock bottom,i used my favorite Luke rock hook there many times. one time when we pulled the hook it did not want to come ! did all the tricks to get it to move! finaly up she came !! with a full sized home dryer!! with one of the hooks right thru the side! the thing wasn't even rusty !! LOL couldnt get it loose there so brought it to Trinadad lifted it onto the dock with a crab hoist, beat the hook out and the dock master kept it for a flower pot and a conversation piece. ya never know whats down there on the north coast !! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 04:20   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
a few yrs ago, we were riding out a hurricane at anchor in key west..the second anchor popped out but the primary held like glue. when we were ready to leave, we couldn't budge the anchor..finally after spinning in circles over the anchor it finally popped. don't know what was down there, but we're real glad it was there...
+1 on that. We chose a good anchoring spot to wait out an early storm this past autumn. There were other boats in the bay, but far-ish from us. Storm lasted 3 days (trees down, docks out, etc), all other boats dragged, most had to reanchor several times, we never bulged. Very proud of our anchor and our anchoring technique we started pulling our anchor out. Managed to get the anchor off the bottom, but after 4-5 feet windlass stopped winding. Bow some inches under, but still no luck.

My other half dove to find out we caught on a self-made mooring - several cement pillars tied together by chain and lines. Thankfully we snatched on some lines that he was able to cut away. That much for our anchor and anchoring technique...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 08:13   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

here in mazatlan's old harbor i caught my anchor t chain thru a sunken b oat--- took divers to free it--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:23   #49
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Not really an anchor story but yrs ago we used to have to drag for buoys off a native reserve island. Apparently they are good targets.

Another one but not an anchor story either. In the late 1980's I was stationed in Thunder Bay ON. Every year there was a TB to Duluth race on the ice for snow machines etc. and every year there was an ijjit who thought he could run his truck out on the ice too. The ship I was on, CCGS Samuel Risley, routinely broke out the harbour and notices were posted in the paper. Sure as anything this Good Ole' Boy sunk his truck in our track. Commercial divers would secure the vehicle and we'd pick it with our crane. I remember when we set this truck down on the deck the OPP (provincial police) officer who was with us opened the drivers door and a half dozen full and a couple dozen empty brewski's fell out! Explain that to your insurance agent!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:51   #50

Boat: Tom Gilmer designed "Blue Moon"
Send a message via AIM to UnlikelyVoyager

Steinhatchee River in northwestern Florida, I snagged a man killer...

Someone had put a kind of grapnel into a plastic milk crate, filled the crate with scrap metal, and then filled it with concrete.

It weighed a ton and had pointy, rusting metal hooks sticking out in all direction. A total nightmare, and there was no way I could get over the bow without scratching and dinging up the topsides and rail, not to mention the threat of lockjaw.

Luckily, a couple young guys came along in a powerboat and hoisted the whole thing aboard their boat, and untangled the mess for me (I had another anchor down, by this point.)

They disdainfully called the monster "a redneck mooring".

Check out my blog: UnlikelyBoatBuilder.com
UnlikelyVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor