Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2021, 11:52   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
What ever happened to Active Captain?

I know they got bought out by Garmin a few years ago. Did Garmin/Navionics **** can the project?
I’m cruising around the Bahamas and most of user data is from the Active Captain hey day period, and very few recent updates.
What ever happened to the owner of Active Captain??? I guess there was a non complete clause in the sale of AC?
Seems like a real void that needs to be filled!
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 11:57   #2

Re: What ever happened to Active Captain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
I know they got bought out by Garmin a few years ago. Did Garmin/Navionics **** can the project?
I’m cruising around the Bahamas and most of user data is from the Active Captain hey day period, and very few recent updates.
What ever happened to the owner of Active Captain??? I guess there was a non complete clause in the sale of AC?
Seems like a real void that needs to be filled!
Is the data not relevant? If the information hasn't changed, why should it be updated? How many people need to post the same thing? At some point, only changes need to be submitted.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 12:04   #3

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

I’d say the bigger picture data is still relevant. But things change ....dingy docks are built destroyed, businesses come and go, sandbars change, etc. There just isn’t the active contribution like there used to be with Active Captain.
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 12:58   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
I’d say the bigger picture data is still relevant. But things change ....dingy docks are built destroyed, businesses come and go, sandbars change, etc. There just isn’t the active contribution like there used to be with Active Captain.
Agreed.

And not only that, but AFAIK, being able to measure a distance of more than one leg is no longer possible. Also the lat/long of the curser is not displayed now.

And they don't give you token rewards for submitting information. I'm convinced that helped insure fresh information.

I used to use AC frequently, but not as much now.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 13:39   #5

Boat: Contrast 33

Active Captain is rolled into the Navionics Boating app. I thought all the comments added to the Boating App were pushed back to Active Captain. But maybe it's only pulling in data from Active Captain, and the new stuff is all kept separate? Using the Boating App I see updates from this last year - though not a lot, which with the lockdown makes sense.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 14:12   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I access AC through Aqua Maps.

My observation is that many old comments have been deleted, including some of mine. There are new comments, it can be updated. Hut they are pretty rare.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 14:54   #7

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Jeff built up a good business, sold it to Garmin and retired aboard Billy Joel’s old Coaster. If you see them and their dogs along the way, stop in and say hi, they are nice people.....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 08:01   #8

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We use Aquamaps and have been posting our anchorage experiences, obstructions, etc to both AC and Waterway Guide since moving aboard in April.

We all need to remember it’s crowdsourcing. We, as users, generate new data. So share and take benefits all. We’ve also added a few new anchorage spots along the way.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 08:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I avoid Garmin like the plague...

I had to buy a handheld GPS, when my chartplotter stopped showing ship's position in the middle of a tour.

When I asked at the shop in Kiel to buy charts, they said they had to order them at it would take three days. No charts online???

Then the clincher was, Garmin designed this model of handheld GPS UPSIDE DOWN. The keys are OVER the chart window and if you want to hang the unit by the wrist strap, it hangs upside down. Lovely.

Now that Garmin bought Navionics, I am going to have to look for a new chart provider. Luckily, my Raymarine Element chartplotter can use other brands of charts now and no longer locks us into Navionics/Garmin.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 08:56   #10

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Garmin is much more interested in the big money government contract business.
Navionics is less than second fiddle...
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 08:56   #11

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

In my experience I have learned to avoid GARMIN like the plague. They buy out companies, strip the technology out and then provide no migratory path or support for the prior products. They are predatory. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 09:48   #12

Boat: Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
In my experience I have learned to avoid GARMIN like the plague. They buy out companies, strip the technology out and then provide no migratory path or support for the prior products. They are predatory. JMHO

We tried to transfer ownership of a Garmin display. After working with support for a year I decided to give up.

There is a bulldozer sitting in the water in the Berrry islands, Those comments were really helpful to avoid it.
tpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 11:41   #13

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
I agree! And after what they did to active captain I would not use Garmin equipment if they gave it to me.
They basically bought ActiveCaptain and you straight it for anything other than use on a Garmin plotter.
I use AquaMap on my iPad as a back up to my chart plotter and it still has active captain, but I noticed that people are rarely updating it now.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 17-03-2021, 13:34   #14

Boat: Islander 32

Nice to know that active captain works with aquamap. Im gonna download it. Does anyone know if aquamap covers the Tom Bigby waterway? (tenntom)

Its a struggle to get a list of anchorages there.
oldbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 14:09   #15

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 32

It looks like Aqua Maps does cover the TennTom.

Not sure I understand the uproar about Garmin and Active Captain. This is the world we live in. The Active Captain database and info is still out there and accessible from a variety of platforms - I use the Navionics app mostly, but sometimes use Aquamaps, the Active Captain website if I need to add a marker. And yes, I do add markers and add comments and notes on a regular basis.....and if Active Captain is going to continue to be useful we should all do that as we cruise or as things change in our local area so that the database remains relevant.

IMHO
bigdogandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain