Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2010, 05:05   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I sail every weekend in the summer because it's so relaxing and peaceful. In winter I cruise for six months because I like to go where it's a bit warmer than Toronto and I like to do it in my own boat. Also it's a very peaceful life punctuated by the occasional exciting instance where the adrenalin flows. This keeps you young.

Beautiful Bahamas.

Two of my granddaughters who had never been in salt water until they came to the Bahamas. Took to it like fish to water.

Old 22-07-2010, 06:18   #17

Peace and quite when singlehanding. I sail w/o a particular destination most often. When the admiral is aboard we sail for a destination, be it a water side cafe, anchor behind an island for lunch and swim, etc. For me I really don't need to 'get anywhere' to enjoy the ride. Another big bonus is being totally out of reach. Cell phone off... I might as well be on Mars when it comes to others being able to contact me.

Do you sail Lake Travis?

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 06:21   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinescape View Post
The freedom of being on the water listening to the boat talking to me ,the wind in the sails and rigging the sound of the water flowing past my hull ......... shear magic! cheers andy
Peace and quiet, oh and diesel is now £1.20 a litre in the UK that's $7 a US gallon.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 07:04   #19
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
My Landrover Discovery is my normal means of drive to the boat. Alas, the poor MGF, savagely assulted by a hit 'n run....
rats, ya beat me to the punch line!!
( a blue hybrid escape drives me to sail...; -)

But why am I driven to sail... the same reason I loved downhill skiing, climbing, diving, endurance riding and jumping and any number of other activities I have experimented with... I love the challenge. And the adrenal rush.

And with sailing it is combined with the joy of living in an environment that has always been a joy to me and the additional challenge of the boat itself. I have always happy mucking about on boats.

It just satisfies so many needs for me.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 08:02   #20

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Thanks for all the great replies. The freedom, off the grid and challenges of handling and caring for the boat all touch chords with me. I have always been a traveler, so the new destinations are an exciting prospect.

Everything except the "drive to the boat" sounds appealing!

I am still working on my first project. Bringing my 1981 C22 back to life after 15 years of non use by the PO has been very rewarding. As I watch the shine return to the hull and the wood start to glisten, more and more pride of achievement is popping out (and I still haven't gotten to sail her!). Sails have been repaired and new rigging is coming next month.

Yes, Lake Travis and Canyon Lake are about the same distance for me. Currently I am limited by whose boat I can jump on, but in a few months, both of those will see my shining face!

It has been awesome having a resource like this group to educate me and the insight to your motivation is just one more validation that I am on a great path for next phase of my life. Keep em coming..
Old 22-07-2010, 08:22   #21

I always thought the so called "adrenalin rush" was a side benefit of whatever endeavor caused it. To pursue the "adrenalin rush" sounds awfully close to what motivates the average junkie - getting high. Of course it is not with illegal substance (abuse), but it comes from the same "place" psychologically (perhaps).

I can't say that thrills are not fun, because they are by definition. The challenges for me are not pushing limits and feeling like I am on the edge (as in skiing), though I can see the appeal of sailing as sport (racing), but of a inner peace and accomplishment and a sort of finding a mechanical way to fit into nature without being too intrusive.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 08:39   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As a self confessed adrenal junkie I have to say that the rush is NEVER a side effect...

But that does not preclude my being able to enjoy all the elements that contribute to an endeavor. In the case of sailing I get just as much satisfaction working on the boat and those easy cruises as I do from the flippin on the edge ride with the spray in my face.

An addict would perhaps be more on the lines of a true racer... doesn't want/care perhaps to own a boat, just wants to be on a team of like minded adrenal monkeys, riding the edge and then some...

Old 22-07-2010, 08:44   #23
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
What drives me to sail?

Easy-
It's the only antidepressant that works. No side effects but is is kinda expensive.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 08:44   #24

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Great Question!

For me cruising was simply an extension of other types of expedition travel such as sea kayaking, canoeing, backpacking, etc - just a bit cushier with more nice areas to choose from!

There are many things I get out of it: Living a simpler life, escaping the city, time to think, being self sufficient, over coming challenges and enjoying the natural environment. Sharing these experiences with other like minded people is key for me. Going solo has been a valuable learning experience, but I much prefer sharing the experience.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 08:48   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Easy-
It's the only antidepressant that works. No side effects but is is kinda expensive.
hallelujah brother...

Old 22-07-2010, 09:02   #26

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
My Viking ancestors.
Old 22-07-2010, 09:37   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 42
It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 10:06   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit.
what a lovely paraphrase of Stevenson!

Old 22-07-2010, 11:55   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What drives me? Boats the water and the wind...three things I love. Its also the challenge of making those three things work together as efficiently as I can. Its also the social aspect. Its great to have friends and family sitting around together. Its also always entertaining. Never do I get bored out on the water. The other part is the beauty. Rarely is it not beautiful.

It's many good things combined.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote