Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 15:22   #31

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'
Re: What do you think this boat is worth$

Quote:
Originally Posted by float me boat View Post
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...pugh-53/228395

Hi i am looking for a project boat to do up and save me some bikies, can you please have a quick look and tell me what you consider a good price for this boat,
Thanks in advance
I am in australia, but am happy to convert currency.
Greetings~

My first question in answering your question is what experience do you have with steel boats. I see signs of electolisis in the pictures, ( mast base, davit hinge etc.). The ad seems adamant that you have the boat inspected, ( an unusual statement unless something is wrong).

What its worth is only known after a full survey. The thickness of the steel and it's deteriation. How did it end up as an auction boat? Was it abandoned? If the guy that owned her gave up without selling it you are just looking to take a position he wants out of. And you will pay to get there!

"Needs sails"? That means she hasn't been maintained as a sail boat. How many hours on the engine. If the engine goes down you'll need another $10,000 just to bring it to minimum value.

In 45 years of boating Ive yet to see where someone bought aa steel boat at auction and it worked out well for them.

Engine, rigging, hull and steel survey at minimum but without the history of the boat, run away.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 18:21   #32
Marine Service Provider

a Bentley without wheels is a very large paperweight. a boat that dont float is an anchor. get a surveyor and then get another to make sure what is below the water line and under the paint is good, thick solid steel.
my cousin and I add 5 ounces of chili powder to one gallon of paint, my choice for the powder is CAROLINA REAPER, can find on ebay and see what the world record is. Marine life does not like spicy paint.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:16   #33

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by float me boat View Post
There is no base price jolly roger, i’m not sure of sail condition etc.
I am only going to buy a steel hull, as thats what i want.
Prefer wooden deck, but hey, i am on a budget untill i win lotto or i become a rich artist, hint hint
I did some ruff as guts math: assumng boat is worth au 120 in good cond; it may be argued that it needs a new fitout and general overhaul which could be worth 80k, dunno, or it could be very much full of problems that go on forever,
So it could be worth from 15-30k
I have been learning to weld.

Is it toooooo much boat? Maybe
I maybe better off with a smaller vessell to keep costs down.
Thanks for response
Its an extremely heavy lump of boat..28tons?
I owned two boats designed by John P. They dont sail very well at all, to heavy, to much weater helm, so you'll be motoring a real lot. It's a dog of a boat.
Full keel is a pain for manoverability..Johns designs have a lot of empty volume in his keels, meaning you need a lot of more ballast to compensate for the extra unwanted boyancy, so the ballast ratio is all screwd up.

If you get it for say 25k AUD and willing to spend another 50 to ??k wouldn't it be better to get something smaller and a better design, maybe an Adams 45?
Even if you spend 40k on a revamp in the end you still have a boat worth not much more as 50k.(big maybe) And if you don't know or dont have the money it will be a forever project.
Learning how to weld in 2 easy lessons wont help you...trust me I build a dozend steelies and alu boats over the years. Sydney and Ballina,
Best of luck
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:34   #34

Boat: Bristol 26'

Looks like a rich man's project. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean rich in a disparaging way, I just mean there are so many unknown variables that you will need real deep pockets to make this size vessel servicable again. It seems to have been neglected.. also 1200 watt inverter seems real small and no generator listed? Meh, I'd pass..

Tags
boat