Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 13:58   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: What do you think about Uma's new interior layout?

An unvented pipe is simply a (pressure) accumulator tank, same as you have on a pressure water system. The air can be compressed quite a it, if you're pumping, and the water/waste fill probably fill 50-75% of the pipe before it gets *real* hard to pump. Or, something bursts.

AFAIK there are no composting toilets. Not that meet our EPA definition of composting. Now, if you put the lid down and let the loads mellow out and actually compost, which may take 90 days, they would be composting toilets. But dumping the ordure every week or month, ain't composting. Their marketing people must have come from cable companies and telcos, "Only $24.95 per month!" and magically quadrupling that before the act is done. I know, there are plenty of rice fields in Asia that are fertilized that way with fresh nightsoil...doesn't mean they've dealt with the sanitary problems.

First time I heard about the Incinolet, I was intrigued. Then I found out there have been maybe a half dozen brands, all requiring about one kilowatt-hour of power per load, which makes them impractical on small craft. And apparently, they're not as reliable as a Timex, you have to either carry a couple of spare parts, or have an alternate head.But the concept is still very intriguing. If you've got the spare kilowatt hours.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 14:03   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
An unvented pipe is simply a (pressure) accumulator tank, same as you have on a pressure water system. The air can be compressed quite a it, if you're pumping, and the water/waste fill probably fill 50-75% of the pipe before it gets *real* hard to pump. Or, something bursts.

AFAIK there are no composting toilets. Not that meet our EPA definition of composting. Now, if you put the lid down and let the loads mellow out and actually compost, which may take 90 days, they would be composting toilets. But dumping the ordure every week or month, ain't composting. Their marketing people must have come from cable companies and telcos, "Only $24.95 per month!" and magically quadrupling that before the act is done. I know, there are plenty of rice fields in Asia that are fertilized that way with fresh nightsoil...doesn't mean they've dealt with the sanitary problems.

First time I heard about the Incinolet, I was intrigued. Then I found out there have been maybe a half dozen brands, all requiring about one kilowatt-hour of power per load, which makes them impractical on small craft. And apparently, they're not as reliable as a Timex, you have to either carry a couple of spare parts, or have an alternate head.But the concept is still very intriguing. If you've got the spare kilowatt hours.
concerning composting heads they part of an overall composting system now as to them on boats they are legal according to the USCG ( the people that regulate boats in U.S. Navigable waters)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USCG Letter.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	185631  
Old 10-02-2019, 14:18   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A complete composting "system" would require that there were places ashore to dump the bucket. In fact in some places, the mass from a composting toilet must be disposed of as sanitary waste, you need to call the portasan folks to take it away, or find another way to put it into that "system". You can't just dump it behind the shed, like ordinary compost.

As for USCG approval...Well of course, if I gave them a 16th century "thunderpot" they'd HAVE TO approve that as well. It can't discharge anything overboard, so it meets their requirements. That says nothing about whether the device is making fertile sanitary soil or not. The USCG approval just means what's in the bowl, can't get out into the water.

I know, pump-out stations are rare enough, but dump stations aren't any simpler to find. And if you throw in the RV market...they've got dump stations, but they're all oriented to liquid waste pipes, not so much to dumping buckets.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:51   #49

Boat: Kelsall Tango 40 catamaran

I don’t really know. I haven’t tested, and I’m not sure if they have a vent. I think they do though. I think that was mentioned some place. The reason I say they can store a couple of uses is just because they said so.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:04   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsoff View Post
Don’t follow Uma ever since they dumped their poop in the harbor and then laughed about it. Not my kind of sailors
I loved his projects. I used to sub to them until she smashed a wine bottle into the sea, seems some people have a strange way to appreciate their oceans. Ive missed most of their vids for the last 12 months, shame.
MainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:20   #51

Boat: Roberts 36

I stopped watching them when they did all the deck fiberglassing repairs and just let the ground glass (plastic) go into the water.
Gaphumbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:47   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaphumbala View Post
I stopped watching them when they did all the deck fiberglassing repairs and just let the ground glass (plastic) go into the water.
Dont you think ground fiberglass would act like sand in the ocean. seems like it would just pass through a fishes system just like sand. You know, any ground fiberglass done in a boat yard just washes in to the water when it rains anyway.
If I am missing somthing let me know, I know less about marine life than I know about algorithms and I know nothing about algorithms.
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:54   #53

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlroofman View Post
Dont you think ground fiberglass would act like sand in the ocean. seems like it would just pass through a fishes system just like sand. You know, any ground fiberglass done in a boat yard just washes in to the water when it rains anyway.
If I am missing somthing let me know, I know less about marine life than I know about algorithms and I know nothing about algorithms.
Problem is the krill consume it like food, but it has no nutritive value so they are malnourished or die for lake of actual food. The fish that eat the krill are declining for lack of food and the effects are climbing the food chain.

A version of this is occurring with bird species, birds are feeding on and feeding their chicks with bits of plastic that look like food morsels. Some bird populations are starting to decline.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:09   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Problem is the krill consume it like food, but it has no nutritive value so they are malnourished or die for lake of actual food. The fish that eat the krill are declining for lack of food and the effects are climbing the food chain.

A version of this is occurring with bird species, birds are feeding on and feeding their chicks with bits of plastic that look like food morsels. Some bird populations are starting to decline.
I would not think the amount of fiberglass dust created could have any effect
on krill to any noticeable amount. So it is just one more contaminate we do not want in the water to eleminate any cumulative effect.
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:12   #55

Boat: Roberts 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlroofman View Post
Most of this material floats and is consumed by marine life. Or it will eventually breakdown into microscopic particles that enter the food chain, and we will be consuming it.
Gaphumbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:14   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Just an observation
The couple are running at least 4 different sailing channels on YouTube
Old 11-02-2019, 23:47   #57

I say good on them for trying. I have noticed they call their interior “Their tiny house” . I’m more interested in their electric motor, I feel it will ring them undone eventually.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:59   #58

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Just an observation
The couple are running at least 4 different sailing channels on YouTube
What other channels?
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 05:46   #59

Boat: Sigma Yachts, Sigma362, 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
They are a very creative couple and have put way more time and effort into their boat than any sane person would. It's been almost all their labor and minimal cost and they have to live with it, however. Interesting to see what they'll do after living with the new design.
If you think they've put in a ton of work check out the "Sail Life" you tube channel with Madds from Denmark refitting a Warrior 38 - actually "rebuilding would be a more accurate description...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x...PNWdVtl9PkDmgA
SailMoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 10:43   #60

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaphumbala View Post
I remember watching that episode, I was very disappointed when I saw that.

I understand that it may not always be possible or economical to haul out for repairs, but I would hope that there would be a way to minimize our impact.
sjrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior