Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 07:30   #1

What do you sail and where?

Looking to move up. Currently sail a Catalina 27 on Barnegat Bay. I am trying to get a handle on what types of boats are being blue water sailed. Are there production boats saely sailing blue water?

So basically just asking what boat do you sail, and where. I am also interested in the size as I single hand a lot.

I know my wife says there is no such thing as too big a diamond. I would believe there would at some point be a boat to big to handle on a daily basis with docking etc.

Thanks for your input.
Loose Ends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:00   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: What do you sail and where?

We have a 26' mono. She is either our docked mobile home or else our ocean crossing craft.

She is too small for both applications but since this is what we have ...

To live onboard, you want VOLUME. A beamy, tall boat, not just long enough. A barge is best, I think.

To sail long offshore passages, you want a boat that will sail well and then also one to take regular stormy weather. I think maybe something +35', preferably +40'.

Whether light or heavy this is just a personal choice dictated by your skill level and your pocket.

Modern light fast safe boats are expensive. Many long term cruisers on a budget go for heavier older designs that are many on the s/h market and can be had at silly low prices (if you care to learn, wait and snatch).

All in all, nearly always, what you have is what you use.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:16   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Ends View Post
Looking to move up. Currently sail a Catalina 27 on Barnegat Bay. I am trying to get a handle on what types of boats are being blue water sailed. Are there production boats saely sailing blue water?

So basically just asking what boat do you sail, and where. I am also interested in the size as I single hand a lot.

I know my wife says there is no such thing as too big a diamond. I would believe there would at some point be a boat to big to handle on a daily basis with docking etc.

Thanks for your input.
Click on the member names and check out their profiles, Boats, galleries.

We are two retired 60+ on a Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch, 40 tons, 80 air draft. We currently keep Roxy in the Eastern Caribbean. We in summer two of leaving Roxy on the hard in Chaguaramas, Trinidad to wait out hurricane season. I have single handed Roxy a Couple of times but I wouldn’t recommend it. We live aboard so this is not a problem. Big is better in a big sea state. If you plan to stay along an intercostal waterway, you need to consider mast height and draft. The east coast ICW max is 63 feet mast and not more than about 6 feet draft. Less draft is better for ICW.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:26   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sorta-retired couple, living full time (1/2 the year) on a 37’ traditional designed full keel cutter. Good sea boat/long duration cruiser. Good storage and tankage. Living space is small by modern 37 standards, but plenty for us.

I can solo her away from the dock. Full keel making tight manoeuvring difficult. If I were a solo sailor I’d look at something a bit smaller — in the 32’ range.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:05   #5

This is the kind of info I am seeking. Getting close to 60 so retirement on the horizon.
I will look at the profiles. Thanks for the replies.
Please keep them coming
Loose Ends is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail