Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2021, 18:59   #16

Boat: Coast 34 Sail
Re: What do you carry your tools in?

Canvas bags and plastic tool boxes. Main tool box lives in quarter berth with fiddles to keep it in place and shock cord when under way. Some power tools are in locker in quarter berth but most are in canvas bags in vee berth. I was a tradesman for a living so I am still in denial about amount of tools and hardware on board. My wife is a saint.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 19:11   #17

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
What do you carry your tools in?

I too have small canvas day bags for often used tools. I have one small one for screwdrivers (slot pointing one way and Phillips pointing the other) and a second bag for wrenches, pliers, vise grips. Beyond that I have tools separated by type of job. A socket set with more box end wrenches in a plastic carrying case, a big plastic tub with tools for electrical with amp/volt meter, wire, various connectors, tape, fuses, and bulbs. A tub for plumbing with hose clamps, spare hoses, Vacuflush parts, pump parts, PEX parts, rescue tape, wax, etc. A tub for engine with bigger wrenches and sockets, spare filters, hose clamps, impellers, etc. A tub for sail repair and rigging with appropriate tools and supplies. You get the idea. I like to have the tools together for a given type of job. Of course there are the larger tools (circular saw, hack saw, battery drill set, brace and bit, vise, bolt cutters) that don’t fit and just have to get crammed where they can. That is in addition to flashlights, knives, leatherman etc.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 19:52   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: What do you carry your tools in?

I make tool rollups from worn out pairs of jeans using a sewing machine. That way I can sew the pockets to fit my tools. I use iron-on labels sometimes for each tool which is helpful because I know what is missing if there is a gap.