Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 22:44   #16

Re: What do I do with my boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We’ve left our boat for months at a time in the water on moorings in Fiji and Tonga. We look for professionally maintained and certified cyclone moorings and we hire a separate person to check the boat and start the engines every three weeks. For proof we ask for photos of each visit showing the engine hours and the battery status screen. We pay in arrears after every boat visit. We check with local yacht service managers about what is a reasonable rate in that place. It’s worked for us so far.

Less risk than in the water is on the hard. More expensive and if you aren’t due for any bottom work then may not be worth it, but you will be sure that your boat won’t sink and if there is power your batteries won’t go low.

Check for marinas and boat yards in the area you want to leave your boat. There are services like this everywhere cruising yachts go - use Google search, then verify cruising boat suitable with noonsite.
Dear Lady,

Thank you so much for the much needed specificity. I actually fell like I'm clear on what to do now and where to go
y6e29x7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 22:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I left my last boat on a mooring once:

OMG, ouch I can feel my empathy kicking in, for this one.
Old 25-08-2019, 22:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
I live in South Florida with the possibility of a hurricane striking ten months of the year and have seen staggering scenes of hundreds of wrecked boats right here in our sunny, peaceful waters. The statistics from these disasters make the answer to your question quite clear - put the boat in a secure yard on the dry. The only reason not to do that is if there is no such yard available or you've left it too late to get hauled out before you depart, in which case a spider web of dock lines in your marina is second best. The only reason I can think of to leave the boat on a mooring or at anchor is to save money, and IMHO the risk to the boat makes doing that a bad decision.

Good luck with your new boat. From personal experience I can tell you that the boating and people of Queensland are great and that New Zealand, also with great people and boating, is beautiful beyond words but a long way from anywhere and quite cool. (Full disclosure, Maxwell, maker of the world's best windlasses, is based in New Zealand)

John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
IKWYM. I grew up in Louisiana and Florida. I can remember the yachts & commercial fishing boats washed ashore after "Betsy" & "Camile." They ALL ended up on the hard, "The Hard Way!"

BTW, whether I decide to moor or anchor, you can bet I'm going to use multiple lines. At anchor, I think I want to use 2 lines fore and aft, for a total of 4 lines. For a mooring, I think I'd drop an anchor line or two, JIC.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25   #19

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I would recommend that you leave your boat on land while you are away from it for any extended time.
Try to schedule it with painting or other maintenance.

I left my last boat on a mooring once:

Looks like a good parking place. Glad you got a pic of the robber before he got away.
Old 09-09-2019, 14:44   #20

do a bit of research from your local club... find the closest club, to your destination, they may have some affiliation with your local as far as docking while dry land travelling
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 16:49   #21

You know, it just occurred to me that it might make sense to join a "yacht-club!" Not only, would they have some of these answers and "solutions" ready-to-hand; but they would also "likely" have some list of "empty" berthings, whose owners just might be looking to cut-a-deal, to get them filled. Oh, and for double-jeopardy, "the members discount"
Old 09-09-2019, 17:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Go with Flo. She's Progressive.
Whatever did happen to "Flo?" I thought she was pretty hot!

Although, with my luck, she'll probably turn-out to be a guy...

Old 10-09-2019, 05:14   #23

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by y6e29x7 View Post
Whatever did happen to "Flo?" I thought she was pretty hot!

Although, with my luck, she'll probably turn-out to be a guy...

Stephanie Cortney. I used to have connections with her a few years back. She did some acting and Flo is the last on-screen character she played, as far as I know, other than some of the other characters in the Progressive commercials. She mostly does voice-overs and behind the scenes work. I think she has a classic beauty. Altho lately she has gained a bit of weight. I hope this is just a phase and it passes soon.

Her and hubs.

Tags
boat