Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 06:15   #1

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
What did sailing Santa bring you?

We had a great Christmas here in the mountains of Western NC.It snowed twice a few days before the big day, but we just missed having a "white Christmas."

The jolly old elf was very good to me this year.He must've been watching when I ran aground in the Marquesas and limited my cursing to a minimum I usually drop a lot of hints pryor to Christmas about nautical treasures I desire, but usually come up short handed. I open the boxes of new jeans, socks, etc.,and like Ralphy in the movie "Christmas Story," I toss them aside looking for my equivalent nautical prize to the "Red Rider" BB air rifle.

These are the treasures I found awaiting for me under the tree this year:

*** "The Mariners Book of Days" - What can I say? I love this little book that I keep handy on my desk.When suffering from the winter time lack of sailing blues, the little book can always bring a smile to your face.

***" Master and Commander" book by Patrick O'Brien. I've just now starting reading the O'Brien series of books. I need an interpeter for some of the script, but I am enjoying them.

***Old Captain fishing from a rowboat statue. It's a really cool statue. My living room is done in nautical decor, and it fits in nicely with my 150 gallon saltwater aquarium,compass rose carpet,and other nautical treasures. Hey, I wonder if the statue will float in the aquarium??

*** Portable MP3 player/recorder. O.k., it might not be truly nautical, but my son whom gave it to me, said when I opened it," I thought you could use it on the boat.You can carry hours of music on this little disc, "as he helped me rip open the package and plucked out the wafer thin disc for my inspection."It'll work great on the boat!" he said. I couldn't agree more!

My oldest brother and his family will be coming to visit my mom today since they couldn't make it at Christmas. They usually give me something nautical. Perhaps they will be bringing me a present??? Hmmmm??

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!! Fair winds to you in the new year!
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:13   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
I got a book of 15 short stories about ocean sailing, and an LED headlamp. 8 LEDs, and it is water proof to 30 metres. Great for diving on the prop when necessary. Appears to throw a perfect beam for arm's length jobs.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 18:16   #3

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
O.K. Sonosailor, You've forced my hand Two items that Sailing Santa also brought me that I forgot to mention: "Pirates of the Carribean", and "The Adventures of Sinbad" new Walt Disney animated version -DVD's. Hey, it was a good year for sailing at the movies, wasn't it

Glad to hear the jolly old elf was good to you also.Sounds like you got some really cool stuff! The headlamp is a great idea for prop diving. I could've used that one a few times myself. Sounds like a good candidate for my next year's list
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote